· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Exclamation Please Help! Unexplained sicknesses

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I have a 120 liter tank{30 g} with 2 internal filters.The is about 2 mounth old and at the beginning there were 4 fancy goldfish there which came from bad conditions. a few days after the tank was set up one of the fish started to show signs of bloated belly and white stringy poop. I started with 3 days fast and 3 days of pea with no results , then started to treat with metro. about a week after the first signs the fish passed. ive finished the metro teatment and a few dyas after another fish started to show weired signs, this time of weakness and seems a bit hard for him to swim upwards. at this point ive got testing kit and starting to test the water. the results were fine as the amonia nitrit and nitrate were 0,0,10-25in a few tests i did. the weired thing was that the GH and KH parametrs were kinda off balanced and seem to be changing each time, sometimes showing "good" results and sometimes being to high. The next after the first signs the fish looked much worset and was stuck to the bottom. i gave him a very concentrated salt bath and one day later he looked better, swimming ok and just a bit less active. 2 days later he got worse again and was laying on his side most of the time.At this point i did a few things- I started treatment with Furanol of JBL, build a little semi isolated box inside the tank for him to be close to the surface and without currents,bought a thermometer {which showed the water temp i 32 C} and installed a fan to cool down the tank which took it to 25 C. right before i started the med treatment iv noticed that that fish and another fish has "pinecorn scales" although they werent bloated. three days later the fish showed improvment, both lost the pinecorn scales and very sick one looked better, still dosent float but swimmnig actively and eating. after that i did anothe course of the med{which is ok based on the instructions} and a day after that the sick one passed. now its about one week after and today ive noticed that the third fish is starting to get the pinecorn scales again. during all this time ive been doing water tests which showed ok, except for the GH and KH values.i also took a few tests of the tap water im filling the aquarium{Btw im usuing Seachem Prime when im changing water} and i saw that each time it showes diffrent reading of the KH and GH..could be that the tap water unbalanced KH and GH is the cause for all those problems? do you have other idea or reccomendations whatshould i do or how should i treat the fish?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    what is the KH and GH value? Typically, overtime the KH goes down. The GH rarely changes unless you do something to lower the GH. Did you ever test the tap water?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Gh is bouncing from 7 D to 14D to 21D and like i said i think the problem is in the tap water beacause each time i test the tap water its bouncing as well. the pipe is very old and sometimes yellow water are coming out from the tap.. i think thats the problem

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    A thirty gallon tank is too small for goldfish. Since they came from poor conditions to begin with, they probably brought into your tank whatever bacteria or viruses were already in them, and the new environment triggered them active. It's always risky acquiring sick fish or fish that have lived in terrible conditions. This was never an ideal situation for your goldfish.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    30 g for 2 small goldfish isnt ok? it temporarley ,i dnt hink that its a problem right now.. i know that they came from poor condition and thats risky but i dont think thats the case.. they keep developing diseases. first white poop then symptoms siilar to dropsy, then weired bladder disfunction. it seems something is wrong with the enviroment right now that is weakning them and causing them to get infected over and over, the qustion is what??

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Their immune systems may have been compromised. Did you acclimate these fish to your tank before putting them in it? Too drastic and sudden a change, even when for the better, can upset their inner workings.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I acclimated them... does someone have experience with combining nifurpirinol and metronidazole?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    That combination should not be an issue, however, metro works best when eaten since it is not truly water soluble.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    That combination should not be an issue, however, metro works best when eaten since it is not truly water soluble.
    do you know to do it? i need to soak theire food with it right? whats the dosage?the fish is very small abot 5 cm with the tail. ty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    30g is ok for an adult goldfish, it should be fine for a couple of small goldfish temporarily but not for long.

*correction, 30g should be ok for a single adult fancy. Not for a common or a sarrassa comet those get massive.