· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    The tank I have preselected is 42" long. The purpose of the tank is to have a genuine wild feel. So for me, having wild caught fish would be worth the extra work but I don't want to put any fish in immediate danger because I do not have the resources to truly take care of them available to me. Thats kind of what I'm trying to feel out here.
    Last edited by waylon101; 08-25-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by waylon101 View Post
    Thanks Rocksor! I heard you discuss the bacteria issue before in regard to Altums. What if I use solely RO water? I was also going to use indian almond and other various tannin products for aesthetic reasons but could this also help for the PH, TDS and bacteria issue?
    It's a bit more complicated than simply adding those things, and especially with pure RO. You have to add minerals back in. Seachem makes a product called South American Cichlid Salt, used for pure RO water. Then you have to make sur eyour KH is above 4 degrees to prevent swinging ph.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
    I'd do Gymnogeophagus and Australoheros oblongum in a 4' tank. No heater required aside from raising the water temp for spawning, and they thrive in hard/alkaline water. Always easier to maintain that water chemistry than soft/acidic IME.
    The room temperature should drop to 65F or less for at least 4 months of the year.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone! I have purchased my co-worker's tank and am waiting for him to get a new tank to transfer his things over. I'm still looking at all the possibilities. I currently have 30 rummy nose that have been quarantined for the past 30 days. There was a form of fungus outbreak that I treated with Kanaplex. I did it by putting it in their food and applying Seachem's Focus. I did two treatments and I have not seen any more problems since that time (approximately three weeks ago). I am still brainstorming possibilities for that tank. I am considering waiting for my local club's auction and seeing what angelfish they have there but I was first wondering about a specific species of earth eater. It came up on our wholesale order as gymnogeophagus gymnogenys maldonado. Has anyone has had experience with these, would they be aggressive to the rummys (I have heard from a few other keepers that they did not eat tetras. I know they could be larger forms of tetras though), its assumed they are going to mess with the sand of the tank but would they also have the possibility of toppling over driftwood and rocks?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Gymnogeophagus require a temperature drop in the tank at least 65F. The lower the better. You will see brilliant color when the temp is dropped to 50-55f. If you do not allow for this "cool down" period, the fish get stressed out and don't live beyond 3 years, which is less than half of their life span. You will need tetras that survive in these low temps to be successful with the gymnos.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Rocksor. I read a little bit about the temperature requirements in the very brief research I did before posting. At this point, I believe I will either be doing a wild-type, but tank raised angelfish or an apisto pair but wanted to see if this last species would be do-able.