· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for showing us your fish - RiversGirl   Have a tetra for sharing your imperials with us ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   For new fish ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    In a 60 gallon you could easily raise up 6-8 juveniles and cutting back a couple after they had grown out to pick out the best samples.
    A Wild Green would be amazing. That is also my next project-- wild discus. I have been raising domestics for 15 years, but just recently became interested in wilds.
    Do you have a picture of this variety?

Other considerations:
    What is your pH, kh/dh?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your signature is what I want to say to everyone on here. - aquariumlover10   Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

2 Not allowed!
    I will leave that question to some one else. I have always found discus to be the most aggressive SOB:s out there. Worse then Jaguar cichlids, Dovi cichlids and even Giant snakeheads. But i know they are not supposed to be like that.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for showing us your fish - RiversGirl   Have a tetra for sharing your imperials with us ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   For new fish ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Oh wow! Have you found them to be that aggressive... lol!? I haven't had any other cichlids other than discus so cannot compare to other cichlids.
    Discus can certainly be aggressive to one another if numbers are not kept high.
    They definitely have a pecking order and it is established fairly quickly among even the youngest fish.
    It is best to have markers to establish parameters where subordinates can return to when chased by the alphas in the tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I will leave that question to some one else. I have always found discus to be the most aggressive SOB:s out there. Worse then Jaguar cichlids, Dovi cichlids and even Giant snakeheads. But i know they are not supposed to be like that.
    Thanks for your input so far William. I will continue to think and consider what will be best for the fish, project as a whole and me ;)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your signature is what I want to say to everyone on here. - aquariumlover10   Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discusluv View Post
    Oh wow! Have you found them to be that aggressive... lol!? I haven't had any other cichlids other than discus so cannot compare to other cichlids.Discus can certainly be aggressive to one another if numbers are not kept high.
    I have kept them 3 times in groups of 10 or greater. Each time i had problem with them taking each others eyes out etc. I have them bullying a lot large fish of other species as well. But I must be doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by waylon101 View Post
    Thanks for your input so far William. I will continue to think and consider what will be best for the fish, project as a whole and me ;)
    Waylon: Dont listen to me too much. I know i am an outlier and most people do not have my problems with discus. They are stunning fish and i wish i could make them work.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    I really like Cribroheros longimanus which might be an option. Have a similar feel to geos to me. Relatively friendly and does not grow too big. 5 inch max
    a_longimanus-01huvud-topi_lethonen.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    What about Wild Caught Angels? Would these be extremely difficult to keep? I was looking at Wild Scalares from the Rio Nanay. What would this entail? My local water is about 8.3 so would I be looking at DI water? Would I have to do a quarantine even though they would be quarantined by the wholesaler? I'm assuming I would do a long drip acclimation. I've been told to do a higher temperature (82 or so). I haven't been able to find much out there on keeping freshwater wild fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by waylon101 View Post
    What about Wild Caught Angels? Would these be extremely difficult to keep? I was looking at Wild Scalares from the Rio Nanay. What would this entail? My local water is about 8.3 so would I be looking at DI water? Would I have to do a quarantine even though they would be quarantined by the wholesaler? I'm assuming I would do a long drip acclimation. I've been told to do a higher temperature (82 or so). I haven't been able to find much out there on keeping freshwater wild fish.
    Higher ph will increase their likely hood for a bacterial infection due to pathogenic bacteria thriving in higer ph. In the wild, the lower ph prevents growth of certain pathogenic bacteria. Therefore, the wild scalare have lower immunity to pathogenic bacteria in the higher ph range. You'll hear stories of wild caught fish just suddenly dying. This is not to say that you won't be successful, it's just the risks are higher.

If you are getting scalare, might as well get tank raised versions.

If you are getting the wild fish locally, acclimitation won't need to last as long. If ordering, I try to keep the difference in TDS value within 50ppm, and raise or lower according to my tap, about 50ppm a day. So you will need to measure the TDS of the water in the bag that they came in.

Always quarantine because you do not know what they carry from the wild. Not all sellers treat the fish in quarantine, and some wait until an issue will show up.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Rocksor! I heard you discuss the bacteria issue before in regard to Altums. What if I use solely RO water? I was also going to use indian almond and other various tannin products for aesthetic reasons but could this also help for the PH, TDS and bacteria issue?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

1 Not allowed!
    I'd do Gymnogeophagus and Australoheros oblongum in a 4' tank. No heater required aside from raising the water temp for spawning, and they thrive in hard/alkaline water. Always easier to maintain that water chemistry than soft/acidic IME.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast