· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    I had a 29 gallon in my dorm. I did water changes via the shower lol. It took about 10 mins to fill a 5 gallon bucket. It was terrible. I agree with much of what boundava has said (I usually do lol). 7 day feeders often destroy your water quality. Remove that and keep up on your water changes. Check in with us throughout this next week so we can help.

0 Not allowed!
    I would love to have a 29 gallon tank but I do not think my RA would love for me to have a 29 gallon tank haha. I am hoping by January to get something bigger so he can have lots of plants and maybe some mates as well. I have noticed that the tap water tests at a .5-1.0 ammonia levels. My conditioner is supposed to neutralize ammonia though. Also, is the BettaFix a good option to help heal the holes in his fins?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To keep you encouraged. - mac   For your label making abilities - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by love4ballroom View Post
    Also, is the BettaFix a good option to help heal the holes in his fins?
    No, a quick google search of bettafix is generally the entire community thinking it's garbage. There's a product called paraguard that helps for finrot - which is probably what you're looking at the beginning stages of.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002D...ords=paraguard

Put it in after your water changes and it stays in the tank for 24 hrs before neutralizing so you can't overdose your betta, as long as he's not showing signs of stress you should use it for a week. Always put it in after a water change

Bettafix can usually help a bit after the rot is healed but can destroy the bettas labyrinth organ.

Finrot sucks but as long as it's seen in early stages is generally pretty easy to kick in the butt.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

2 Not allowed!
    When dosing with Paraguard, you want to wait at least 30 minutes after a water change. Water conditioners are a reducing agent that destroys some medications like Paraguard when it comes in contact with it. I typically wait about 1 hour after a water change before I medicate.

0 Not allowed!
    IMG_4676.JPGIMG_4677.JPGIMG_4678.JPGIMG_4697.jpg

Pictures of his tail the other day. Is this fin rot?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Until the water quality improves, medication is only going to slow the fin rot. Need to tackle the source of the problem. That's going to be your ammonia. Since your tap already has super high ammonia levels, you're going to be fighting an uphill battle until you get a nice stable cycle going in the tank, as you are actually adding ammonia to the tank each time you do a water change. Ammonia will also burn your betta's gills, which is another reason to get it down asap. In addition, your water conditioner is only temporary. It binds up ammonia for only like 24hrs or something like that.

Despite their name, marimo moss balls are not moss. They are actually a type of cladophora algae, and aren't going to put much of a dent in your ammonia by themselves. What you need are fast-growing plants that will suck up as much as they can throughout the day.

The others are more than welcome to correct me, but what I believe the best course of action at this point would be:

1. Stop using your tap for your water changes.
    2. Go to Walmart and pick up some gallon jugs of pure distilled water ($0.88 per jug).
    3. Do small water changes, maybe half a gallon if your tank is only 5g, over the week with the distilled water. Don't do one big massive change as you will more than likely shock the fish since the purified water will be so much different than what the fish is acclimated to. The TDS levels, hardness, and pH will be very different. Slow and steady wins the race.
    4. Call up your local fish shops (LFS) and Petsmart. Ask them if they have any duckweed. Duckweed is a small floating plant that grows insanely fast and will suck up the ammonia and nitrates in the tank. Some people consider duckweed to be a nuisance because it grows so fast, so you may be lucky and be able to get a cup of the stuff for free or very cheap. Some people have a hard time controlling duckweed, but in a small tank like yours it won't be difficult.

Here is one of my old betta tanks. Duckweed is the stuff you see growing on the surface with all the little roots hanging down. I had to keep this water very clean as my betta used to bite and shred up his own tail. The duckweed helped keep all my nitrate levels down so low that they wouldn't even register on my test kit.

0 Not allowed!
    I know my PetSmart sells something called Betta Water and it is literally a bottle of water. Is this just the same thing, but more expensive because it is called Betta Water, or is it something that would actually be helpful to him? I have looked there a few times at plants, but I do not recall seeing duckweed, but at the time I wasn't sure what I was looking for. If I do not find it, are there any other suggestions you might have? I am a bit concerned about buying a fast growing plant because of how small his tank is. Is this a real concern I should have, or am I just unnecessarily worried about it?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    I've seen the "Betta Water" at some stores. Snake oil. Get yourself some purified water for a fraction of the price. $5 of distilled water from Walmart will go a long way. One of the things you will discover as you travel deeper into the hobby is that there are countless products out there that are completely unnecessary or have much cheaper options. Pretty soon you won't even waste money on buying filter cartridges because you'll just find it cheaper to buy a huge roll of polyester quilt batting for $5 and cut your own pieces out for your filter :)

Duckweed is not sold in the plant section. It won't survive in those little tubes and packets. It will be found in one or several of the tanks that house the fish. I've seen it sometimes at Petsmart, but usually it is found at local pet stores that sell fish. They usually just scoop up some out of a tank with a cup and give it to you. Give the stores a call and ask them if they have any duckweed available and they'll let you know if they do or not so you don't waste a trip.

Don't worry yourself about a fast-growing plant. Duckweed multiplies like crazy, but all you'll need to do is just take your little net and skim some off the surface once or twice a week to keep it under control. You want fast-growing, because that means they are sucking up the nutrients in the water at a fast rate. The betta is being burned by the ammonia in the tank, so you want to get that soaked up and removed as soon as possible. Duckweed is one of the fastest-growing plants in the hobby and is readily available and super cheap. If you can't find any at local stores, I'm sure there are members here would would be happy to send you some as long as you pay the $5 USPS shipping fee. I don't have any anymore, otherwise I'd help you out :(

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    If this is a "kit" filter on this little tank, I imagine duckweed would clog it in no time....I'd stay away from duckweed.

If the OP would invest in Prime as advised above, the ammonia from the tap, as well as nitrItes and nitrAtes, would not be an issue. I too have at least 1 PPM of ammonia reading from my tap, and I do large water changes weekly with no problems.

OP needs to read and understand the fish-in cycling sticky I linked above, as well. The liquid test kit is a must-have.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 08-22-2017 at 06:36 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The difference, though, is that your tanks are fully cycled and heavily-planted, Slap. OP has a small uncycled tank with a fairly large fish creating a lot of waste in addition to the ammonia from tap. Prime only binds up ammonia for one or two days. I'd rather use cheap purified water and some plants to cut down and eliminate the ammonia rather than constantly adding chemicals to the tank every day or two.

Duckweed is easily handled. My buddy Slap is one of those people who struggled with it and has built up a distaste for the stuff haha