· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default I think my betta might have ich?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello!

So, I have had my betta, Poseidon for a few months now in a two gallon tank. I do partial water changes about once a week, unless I have a feeling like I need to do it more. So far, he has seemed to be pretty healthy. The first few days I was worried about him because he was laying at the bottom a lot and not really eating, but he started doing much better after that.

The other day I noticed that there were what I thought to be white spots on his tail, but then I realized they might be holes. I am now certain they are two tiny holes in his tail. One seems to have something white on it though. I did about a fifty percent water change last night and rinse off his castle and fake plant in hot water. I also took out his marimo moss ball and put it in hot water with water conditioner and it is still in the separate cup. Today I also saw white spots on one side of his head and starting to go down his body. I did a very small water change because I did a fifty percent water change when I moved him into my dorm a week ago and one last night, so I am afraid too many large water changes will stress him out. But a little while ago I looked and I didn't see the spots on his head, but I saw white particle looking things floating in the water.

So, my question is what is this? I was thinking ich because of the white spots, but does ich attach and detach itself like that? Does it cause holes in fins or is that fin rot? other than the two tiny holes, his fins seem to be in good shape. They aren't frayed and haven't lost any of their beautiful blue color. What is the best way to handle it if it is ich? I have read a lot of different things. Are chemical medications good or bad? My heater has its own thermometer and regulator, so I can't raise the temperature higher myself. I really don't think I can handle him dying right now.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To keep you encouraged. - mac   For your label making abilities - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Is there a filter or is it cycled?

If it's not cycled, with a tank that small you should be doing 75-100% water changes every day or every other day

Fin rot can start as white holes in the fins, as far as I know ich attacks the whole fish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC
    It sounds like you've read up a little on ich. There are many articles that describe good methods to battle this protozoan.

Are you able to post a photo of your Betta? That would be useful to help determine if what you are seeing might be ich.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

0 Not allowed!
    He does have a filter in his tank. I change the filter cartridge about once a month as the box directions suggested. Do I need to change it again now that there is something wrong? Or to rephrase, is the cartridge going to be contaminated by whatever is causing this? This may be a dumb question, but I want to make sure.

0 Not allowed!
    I can post a picture when I get off work if that helps

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    You shouldn't change the cartridge, you just just rinse it in old tank water when it gets dirty.

Read the cycling sticky here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

1 Not allowed!
    IMG_4640.jpgIMG_4636.jpgIMG_4642.jpg

These are not very high quality photos. One is him just laying on the bottom of the tank, one is of his holes (which look more like pink dots on his tail in this particular picture), and one is supposed to be of his spots, but they are hard to see in this picture. Also, it seems like most of the spots are gone now?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    You have a beautiful betta. Fresh water, with a good quality water conditioner, will be very good for him. Regular water changes. Read that sticky post that slaphppy7 linked to, above. It is good information.

As a water conditioner, many here use Prime. It is less expensive to order online.

I do not personally see signs of ich, but that doesn't mean it isn't present, either. Keep an eye on the holes that you've noticed (I can't see those either, but of course if you see them, then they are present.) They should be healing/closing up, as you provide fresh water during regular maintenance.

Best wishes for you and your beautiful betta. Please keep us informed. I'd like to invite you to start a journal for this tank over in the journal section. I would enjoy following along.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

1 Not allowed!
    I bought some home tests and his ammonia levels were pretty high. I used a gravel vac and did like a sixty percent water change. I think one of his holes got bigger though?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Did you use test strips or a liquid test for ammonia? You will need to test ammonia and nitrites every day. I would do water changes everyday until ammonia and nitrites are no higher than 0.25ppm.