· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Haha she also molted sometime today, maybe last night, AND is berried now! She almost looks like a different shrimp. So I guess lesson learned on shrimp temps lol and I will pick up that one linked above so that I have something solid to go buy as obviously my cheap marina thermometers are more inaccurate than I'd realized. I like the idea of having one portable one to check everything with on occasion!

Thank you!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Had to jump over to this thread again. Someone brought this issue up this morning in a shrimp-keeping group on Facebook. It's quite normal and is referred to as a "backline." Neos usually throw one out every once in a while, and sometime caridina do, as well. The width of the backline varies, but it is completely normal and isn't a sign of sickness or anything :)

"It's my whimsical colorful slice of paradise." - Debra Mozurkewich, RIP

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Had to jump over to this thread again. Someone brought this issue up this morning in a shrimp-keeping group on Facebook. It's quite normal and is referred to as a "backline." Neos usually throw one out every once in a while, and sometime caridina do, as well. The width of the backline varies, but it is completely normal and isn't a sign of sickness or anything :)
    THAT is great to know I was very concerned as it was developing on her, it seemed so much more pronounced than any other time I'd seen it on the others. Thank you for letting me know.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

10,000 posts, congratulations ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post

Great information! Thanks for telling us the term.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    No problem. Not sure if that is officially a technical term, but it seemed to be fairly known in the shrimp group. Some others tossed out "racing stripe," but I like backline a bit more.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Racing stripe sounds like an appealing looking thing lol backline sounds more appropriate lol as I think often when I've seen it, it detracts from their appearance.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    From a little bit of digging around, it seems as though backlines are actually purposefully bred by some people.

$_1.JPG

I agree, though. If I cared much about my cherries' appearance, I would have culled the backlines out. The 29g that I had my cherry colony in was just too big and too heavily-planted for culling to be a practical method. I'm gonna dig around in my old journal...I'm sure I had a photo of one of my backlines in there...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Not the greatest photo in the world, but found one of a backline I had a couple years back. Jeebus, she wasn't very attractive, was she???

blackline.jpg