· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    I'm still on the fence as to whether they pose much of a threat. I think that if you have a thriving colony you won't see much of an impact from assassins...within reason. If, say, you have around 20 shrimp in a 5g with a couple dozen assassins, I could see how predation from the assassins could potentially outpace the breeding, especially when you consider that shrimp gestation is around 3-4 weeks. If you have 20 shrimp and the assassins are taking out one or two shrimp a week, that could be a 15-30% decline in your total colony before your next batch of shrimp hatch. Could be devastating if the few shrimp they manage to take down are berried females.

On the other hand, I had four assassins in a 10g with about 200 shrimp and I never saw any decline in that tank. It was also very heavily planted and had a dense carpet of hemianthus callitrichoides and a nice moss wall, which provided an abundance of hiding places for babies and juvies.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    I'm still on the fence as to whether they pose much of a threat. I think that if you have a thriving colony you won't see much of an impact from assassins...within reason. If, say, you have around 20 shrimp in a 5g with a couple dozen assassins, I could see how predation from the assassins could potentially outpace the breeding, especially when you consider that shrimp gestation is around 3-4 weeks. If you have 20 shrimp and the assassins are taking out one or two shrimp a week, that could be a 15-30% decline in your total colony before your next batch of shrimp hatch. Could be devastating if the few shrimp they manage to take down are berried females.
    This also brings up a question as to whether or not berried females suffer mobility issues while carrying. My berried mommas move around fairly slowly and avoid swimming due to having to use their swimmerets to hold onto the eggs. Non-berried females will hop from the substrate to plants and leaves to leaves, but my berried ones avoid most of that kind of movement. I could see how a heavily-berried female could pose an easier target for a determined assassin.

The shrimp that's taken out in the video appeared at first glance to be berried, but when I rewatch I can't be certain.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Where the heck is my editor anyway?
    I was wondering the same thing...LOL
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    This also brings up a question as to whether or not berried females suffer mobility issues while carrying. My berried mommas move around fairly slowly and avoid swimming due to having to use their swimmerets to hold onto the eggs. Non-berried females will hop from the substrate to plants and leaves to leaves, but my berried ones avoid most of that kind of movement. I could see how a heavily-berried female could pose an easier target for a determined assassin.

The shrimp that's taken out in the video appeared at first glance to be berried, but when I rewatch I can't be certain.
    This thread is an interesting discussion.

I'm thinking that there is a vast difference in a tank's individual environment when you have just a handful of assassin snails vs a breeding mass of them.

I also believe that there are a great many factors that cause a previously-successful, shrimp breeding colony's population to decline.
    I know that in my tank, just as one example, loss of moss (for a shrimplett haven) was a big contributing factor to the population decline. I also think that the RCS gene pool has suffered, because I've not refreshed it -- ever.
    So, it would make sense that more than one factor is at work, contributing to the population decline ... I would further guess that the same would hold true in many tanks.

Of course, I refer to those tanks that don't have known shrimp predators as tankmates.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow