· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    It's the same with angelfish and I imagine the more sensitive SA dwarf cichlids as well. Daily water changes are a must, pick up that uneaten food, it's expecially important in the earlier development stage. I try hard to never view WCs as a chore, that would for sure end my projects, but if I don't have the time, I leave the babies be, if I have more time to dedicate, I attempt to grow them out. It should never ever seem like a chore. This is our hobby :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for showing us your fish - RiversGirl   Have a tetra for sharing your imperials with us ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   For new fish ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    I wanted to ask you a question about angelfish...
    I am thinking I might put all the Discus in the 180 gallon because I really dont have the time to raise up young discus.
    I was thinking of adding angels to the 60 gallon...
    Do you think this tank will work for them?
    What I really want-- is to do like 3 Santa Isabela Angelfish.
    What do you think?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    To be honest, I don't think I'd count on being able to keep more than two full-grown angels. They are the same as discus with territory and bio, they might be more aggressive even than discus. It's the 24"24" footprint that causes the space issues. Am I correct about the footprint? I think I'd try 4 angels instead of three if you want to try it on case two end up pairing up.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

This. Is. SPS!!! - BIO-Linist   Now for somebody to spam you with discus - BIO-Linist   Discus and Beer! - Sandz   Thank you my friend! - JudiJetson   Your "light siesta" suggestion a while back worked wonders last week. Thanks! - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    For the 180, are you planning to put in G. Altifrons with discus? What are you feeding your discus fishes currently?
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for showing us your fish - RiversGirl   Have a tetra for sharing your imperials with us ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   For new fish ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    I would like to try wild Angels. Have you raised wilds? Are they anymore difficult than the domestics?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

This. Is. SPS!!! - BIO-Linist   Now for somebody to spam you with discus - BIO-Linist   Discus and Beer! - Sandz   Thank you my friend! - JudiJetson   Your "light siesta" suggestion a while back worked wonders last week. Thanks! - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    In a cube? Which wilds were you contemplating? P. Scalare or true altums?
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    My discus are fed beefheart and freeze-dried blackworms. I am thinking about putting my discus in with the altifrons because they are getting so big for their tank, but I do have reservations about it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, I would like to put wild Altums but, unsure if three or four would Be too much ( or any, for that matter) for this tank.
    If so, I would put in wilds of p. Scalare.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discusluv View Post
    My discus are fed beefheart and freeze-dried blackworms. I am thinking about putting my discus in with the altifrons because they are getting so big for their tank, but I do have reservations about it.
    Exactly how many G. Altifrons are we talking about in this 180 gallons? What's the layout and substrate? Another thing to consider is the diet. I know people still use BH in their food diet for discus, but I've long ditched that. G. Altifrons will probably go for the food before the discus and will most likely get more BH in their diet. I don't think that's good for them considering their natural diet is not very meaty.

I share Angel's thought on having a full grown pair in the cube. The footprint doesn't allow for a whole lot of swimming around. P. Scalare are by no means hard to keep.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Here are the details of my build.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=126649

For food I will be making a variation of this recipe.

2.2 lb. (1 kg) frozen whole shrimps, unpeeled

2.2 lb. (1 kg) frozen green peas

0.3 oz. (10 ml) Spirulina powder

3.5 oz. (100 g) gelatin powder

10 drops vitamin concentrate

I may just forego moving the discus and eventually getting a larger tank to house them if they will not do well with the geophagus.