· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Fat Male or Pregnant Female?

0 Not allowed!
    As the title says, I can't figure out what my shrimp is. I made a post a couple months ago wondering if a shrimp of mine was pregnant, which it was. Unfortunately, I was away from the tank for too long and my water got really low. My snail survived but the three adult shrimp I had and all but 4 of the baby shrimp died. Now, 3 of those four died within the last few weeks. I learned it was due to high nitrates in my tank because of stuff stuck under the gravel.

Now, one of the three shrimp that died (the last one that DID die) was pregnant. I saw the little round eggs. The one shrimp I have now was pretty slim then (about a week ago) so I assumed it was male. But now it's underside has gotten pretty rounded. I can't get a good enough look at it myself in order to tell. I hope this picture helps.

Thanks!

P.S.
    I have a video as well but can't figure out how to post it here for you guys. If anyone knows, please help. <3
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

4 Not allowed!
    It's hard to tell for sure from the photo, but I think that is a male, unless the bottom ridge of the sides is just so transparent that it isn't showing up well on the image.

If it is a female, it is definitely not pregnant. There are no eggs under her abdomen.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I agree with Boof. Just from that picture, my guess is that it's a male.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfAndreaB View Post
    Thank you!
    Of course! Glad to help.

Females have very rounded bellies compared to males. Once you get used to seeing the difference, you'll usually be able to identify them from a glance.

Female with a convex (pushed out) abdomen. She will look like this regardless of whether she is carrying eggs or not:

Rili-Shrimp-Orange-Rili-shrimp-Yellow-Rili-shrimp-information-and-where-to-buy-Rili-Shrimp-Aquat.jpg

Male with a concave (caved in) abdomen:

c5901b588a96e4bd44892ffa73f9c377--camarones-fresh-water.jpg

That being said, shrimp can be pretty difficult to sex when juvies. They won't really start looking different until they reach sexual maturity, which can take a month or two, depending on the species. Also, grown males are noticeably smaller in stature than females.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties with the setup! If you want to try again, feel free to pick our brains. We have a lot of peeps here who love to raise shrimp and we can give lots of pointers for keeping a healthy colony.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    I agree with everyone, looks like a male to me as well. To post videos here, the easiest way is to upload them to youtube, then post a link here. The video can be played right here after posting a link if you allow it in your privacy settings.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat