User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Two of the most essential items for successful fishkeeping, IMO:

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.p...0#.WY8npmcUz24

http://www.seachem.com/prime.php
    I'll pick up these products when I stop by LFS next. I've been putting off buying a new test kit after I gave my old set away.

Anyway, quick update... the tank seems mostly cycled (we'll see when the water gets tested). I dumbly added what I think is HC right before brown algae bloomed in the tank (the HC is kind of a meh situation, but the little tray I bought was only 2-3 USD). If all else fails I'll just go the good old Java moss route.

Lately, in the substrate, I've noticed increasing invertebrate populations (daphnia and stuff? at least three different body types). Do cherry shrimp (or their babies) like to eat these?

Also, do you guys want photos of my LFS when I go? I live in Taiwan, and the chain (BlueWorld) often has smallish locations, but the stock spread may be different from what you have in your own countries. The sugar glider will probably still be there...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    RCS won't eat the critters you see...they're scavengers, not predators

Pics of your LFS would be nice to see.

What is HC?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by edo_tensei View Post
    I'll pick up these products when I stop by LFS next. I've been putting off buying a new test kit after I gave my old set away.

Anyway, quick update... the tank seems mostly cycled (we'll see when the water gets tested). I dumbly added what I think is HC right before brown algae bloomed in the tank (the HC is kind of a meh situation, but the little tray I bought was only 2-3 USD). If all else fails I'll just go the good old Java moss route.

Lately, in the substrate, I've noticed increasing invertebrate populations (daphnia and stuff? at least three different body types). Do cherry shrimp (or their babies) like to eat these?

Also, do you guys want photos of my LFS when I go? I live in Taiwan, and the chain (BlueWorld) often has smallish locations, but the stock spread may be different from what you have in your own countries. The sugar glider will probably still be there...
    The stuff in the substrate may be seed shrimp, or gamarus.

Seed shrimp are the white bits in the substrate (my shrimp never bothered with the seed shrimp-but the seed shrimp began to out compete my shrimp for food):
    images.jpg

images (1).jpg

Gammarus are a bit bigger and grayish-brown (saw a picture of one eating a RCS!):
    images (2).jpg

images (3).jpg

You can also have nematodes and/or planaria and/or detritus worms(picture is with daphnia and the little white worms). The last image is similar to what I used to rid my shrimp tanks of the seed shrimp. Had a good infestation of them as the shrimp I bought were infested with seed shrimp, planaria and hydra and limpets...which still plague me.

Picture1.jpg
    Last edited by Boundava; 09-13-2017 at 02:15 PM.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    What is HC?
    I think the OP is referring to Hemianthus Cuba or dwarf baby tears.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

3 Not allowed!
    What is HC?
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I think the OP is referring to Hemianthus Cuba or dwarf baby tears.
    Close :) the "C" is for callitrichoides.

I kept a tank with an HC carpet and Matt asked me what HC was almost every time I talked about it haha I guess with age it becomes harder to remember stuff ;)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

3 Not allowed!
    I keep thinking Head Coach
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Easter - steeler58   Happy Mothers day :) - steeler58   So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Those goldfish are lucky they've met you. - Slaphppy7   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    I keep thinking Head Coach
    Funny.. that's the first thing that popped into my head as well!
    DM's 20g high - journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Close :) the "C" is for callitrichoides.

I kept a tank with an HC carpet and Matt asked me what HC was almost every time I talked about it haha I guess with age it becomes harder to remember stuff ;)
    Tx Boof. I always just call them dwarf baby tears.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah, still too long for me, that's why I say HC. Works out fine until Matt gets involved hahaha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the friend request and congrats on the new pond! - Silbar   I'm sorry you lost a loach and thanks for the rep. - Silbar   An angel for your future tank...power of positive thinking! - Silbar   Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    When I set up my South American tank, I had all SORTS of inverts swimming around in there: Daphnia, planaria-like worms (they weren't planaria), seed shrimp, clam shrimp, cyclops, all sorts of nifty stuff. Then I introduced some angelfish and all those inverts mysteriously vanished. :)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast