· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Ah, OK, the ones who are OCD about an unlittered substrate, like me.
    old, cranky, and disgusted?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    old, cranky, and disgusted?
    These are a few of my favorite things....
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    but this discussion has me confused beyond measure, lol...always happens when you guys start discussing gh, kh, and ph...

So, that stuff you linked can be used in tanks regardless of gh and kh of the tank water?
    I am right there with you matt, I never took chemistry in school. trying to read some articals on PH and KH and all the other Hs and the affect they have on each other,makes my mind spin at times.
    If it's too loud you're too old
    If it's too fast then it must be thrash

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

1 Not allowed!
    Joe, how often do you have to clean out your old leaf litter and put new stuff in? or does it disinegrate to nothing?
    Last edited by Hockey nut; 07-26-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    but anyway short answer never
    Read here as to why:
    https://tanninaquatics.com/blogs/news/leaves
    So how often do you add to it and what's the determining factor you use in deciding when you to add?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    When the leaves (or other botanicals) breakdown all the way and I visibily start losing my tannins I'll then need to replenish but this depends alot on the botanical. Leaves obviously need replenishment sooner then say seed pods or twigs

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Well that depends also, I have had seed pods and banana stems last a couple weeks where the Indian almond leaves have a month or longer. Some leaves last longer than other too, I think beech leaves last a very long time-or maybe it was short...?
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle - Slaphppy7   Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Great job researching the plant weights. - Silbar   Have a tetra for all your hard work ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on your new Corys! - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    My current fish are used to the tap water, I am looking to move to a home that has Michigan water too (though some are still on public or private wells). So my goal is not to drastically change the water parameters but to increase the ambiance for the fish as well as the benefits of botanicals in the water.

Since I have already jacked the heck out of Ken's thread (so sorry Ken!), I will mention that I had 2 lights on my 75, a Finnex 24/7 planted+ and the old Finnex Fugeray with moonlights. When the Fugeray died on me and the tank dimmed some my fish acted different, bolder-more active. I had the high lights for the plants but would like to change the ambiance for the fish now that i have the chance. Since I will be splitting the tanks; making them more regional (S.A and Asian), I decided to go with more DW, leaf and pods, and less plants. Rainbows (at least the little ones I have-and have read on them) don't appreciate the tannins so much, so I have the 55 I found that I will plant up for them once I fix it up a little-needs a new top trim and maybe reseal it.

Again I am sorry Ken to have jacked the heck out of your thread
    Love reading about all your many tanks(!) How do you find the time? I recently noticed my Bloodfins are more relaxed and swim in more levels of the tank when the light is adjusted down somewhat. I have full lights during the day for the plants, and a period of somewhat reduced light for a few hours at the end of the day. I also bring the light up gradually in the am and down gradually at bedtime.
    ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~

29g planted freshwater tank
    AC70 HOB
    Satellite Pro LED 24-36 20W 20-LEDs (14-6500K 6-RGBW)
    Tahitian Moon Sand w/some Flourite

STOCK LIST:
    8 Bloodfin Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    10 Amano Shrimp
    5 Dream Blue Velvet Shrimp
    5 Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp
    10 Assassin Snails

Planted 29g journal

BUCKETS

"Mulder, where are you?"
    "Hey, lesson here, Bey. You come at the king, you best not miss."
    "If it sounds like a fact, it is a fact."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Well I currently just have the 75, the two 20L and the three 5.5 gallons going. Its not too hard once you get into a routine. It will be better when I can get all the fish tanks on one level and within easy access of water for maintenance and a fridge/freezer for food. Also will switch out to a lot less maintenance filtration system-sponge filters, and the aqueon quiet flows. Though the probiotics help keep the waste and maintenance down too.

I am looking forward to getting the other tanks (125, another 75, 55, one-maybe two 40B, two 30, 15 and three 10 gallons) set up and running withing the next few months; I have them all except for the second 75 and the second 40B if I decide to get one. I may need a couple hours for WC then, lol.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast