· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    My current fish are used to the tap water, I am looking to move to a home that has Michigan water too (though some are still on public or private wells). So my goal is not to drastically change the water parameters but to increase the ambiance for the fish as well as the benefits of botanicals in the water.

Since I have already jacked the heck out of Ken's thread (so sorry Ken!), I will mention that I had 2 lights on my 75, a Finnex 24/7 planted+ and the old Finnex Fugeray with moonlights. When the Fugeray died on me and the tank dimmed some my fish acted different, bolder-more active. I had the high lights for the plants but would like to change the ambiance for the fish now that i have the chance. Since I will be splitting the tanks; making them more regional (S.A and Asian), I decided to go with more DW, leaf and pods, and less plants. Rainbows (at least the little ones I have-and have read on them) don't appreciate the tannins so much, so I have the 55 I found that I will plant up for them once I fix it up a little-needs a new top trim and maybe reseal it.

Again I am sorry Ken to have jacked the heck out of your thread
    No worries Nat your trying to achieve what I am looking at doing, you might ask something I don't think off. To have my thread jacked so early on, I consider an honor
    If it's too loud you're too old
    If it's too fast then it must be thrash

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Lol, thanks Ken!
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

0 Not allowed!
    At this point I would like to just tint my water and Olay around with the darkness of the tint to see what appeals to me. I tested my 29g last night and it took 6 drops to complete the test. I am wondering at this point what would be the best way to tint with out throwing a bunch of leaves and pods in the tank?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Start slow Ken with that hardness there are alot of options on the tanninaquatics website weather that's were you'll be ordering from or not it gives an idea I suggest if you don't want leaves and what not in the actual tank is use a mesh bag and float them?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Lol, thanks Ken!
    Maybe I'll have Matt change the title to Nut's and Nat's possible jump.......

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    Start slow Ken with that hardness there are alot of options on the tanninaquatics website weather that's were you'll be ordering from or not it gives an idea I suggest if you don't want leaves and what not in the actual tank is use a mesh bag and float them?
    What if I put some peat moss in my filter?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Would a 6 make it harder to change the PH?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    The lower the KH the easier it is for pH to drop since there is less KH absorbing the developing acid so add a little peat to the filter and see how it goes good plan.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    You can add the leaves to your filter too. Won't take too many for the 29 gallon, do you have 2 filters set up? Put 3-4 large Indian Almond leaves in each filter. Peat isn't the best option-hard to decide how much to use, it can break down and make a mess in the filter too (IME a BIG mess), the pH change is very gradual and you need to monitor it, have to find a source of peat for aquarium use-usually the garden varieties are not safe or recommended. Also this compelling article discusses the use of peat, and why there are better alternatives to it-which was another reason I stopped using it;

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/tag/blackwater/

You can even boil a leaf or two in some water to make a tea-just be careful of the concentrations as too much can alter the pH too quickly and that's not good for your fish; I lost 36 glow light tetras overnight after I made a batch of tea from too any leaves-my bad, very bad

Or shred the leaves and put them in a filter bag to steep like tea in your tank, they will slowly alter the pH and color and the smaller the pieces=bigger surface area and faster effects.
    Last edited by Boundava; 07-26-2017 at 05:46 PM.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey nut View Post
    At this point I would like to just tint my water and Olay around with the darkness of the tint to see what appeals to me. I tested my 29g last night and it took 6 drops to complete the test. I am wondering at this point what would be the best way to tint with out throwing a bunch of leaves and pods in the tank?
    Laguna Liquid Peat is the best and strongest that I have found. It's the easiest method to add tannins without the fuss of litter or boiling. I add about 1 tablespoon for 200 gallons of water, and it makes it a light brown tint. With a KH of 8, no change in PH.

And because @Slaphppy7 likes Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Laguna-Liquid...=peat+aquarium
    Last edited by Rocksor; 07-26-2017 at 07:25 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast