· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    And now Momma #2. This is the one that I caught sporting a saddle on Monday. Photo of male riding her back is in Post #24. She wasn't holding two days ago, and she wasn't around much yesterday, so I think it's fairly safe to assume she dropped these yesterday while she was staying out of sight.

I apologize for the lack of clarity here...I'm using a crappy Nokia Windows phone that is several years old. I have no macro imaging capabilities at all with this thing. What you are seeing here, for those who aren't familiar with raising shrimp, is the female holding the fertilized eggs and occasionally fanning them with her pleopods (swimmerets). This is her way of passing fresh water over the eggs to prevent stagnation/mold.

One nice thing about having a simplistic scape with no where to hide, along with a small initial colony size, is the ease at which I can study each shrimp in detail.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I also opted for a simple scape when I put together my shrimp tank for that reason. I wanted to be sure I could see them and understand their behaviors so that I would have a better chance of noticing if something was amiss since I had never kept them before. Doing so has opened a whole new world of aquatics to me!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have an order for dwarf water lettuce and frogbit coming in on Monday from Han. See which one I like best. I really like the look of roots hanging in the water. I've already used duckweed in a couple of my setups in the past, so I'm wanting to give the water lettuce and frogbit a try.

My neocaridina that I've kept love to graze upside-down in the hanging roots. I'm hoping that my crystals will enjoy it, as well. Should also give babies a nice refuge, kind of like moss.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Well, coming up on the end of three weeks. People in a shrimp-specific Facebook group are telling me that crystal eggs take 3-4 weeks to hatch, so I've been getting a lot more anxious the last couple of days. There is a bit of uncertainty as to when, exactly, she became berried. There was a three day period in which I didn't see her. Depending on the exact date, it is possible to have some babies this weekend. Next week, at the latest, if there aren't any issues.

The last three weeks have been brutal. Momma #1 dropped all but one egg that first week (the week of July 17th). I've been hovering around the tank every day since then, watching to see how Momma #2 fares. Although nearly impossible to really count with any accuracy, it looks like Momma #2 is holding about 15 eggs. I'm doing everything I can think of to ensure as low a mortality rate as possible. If I can get at least 3/4 to survive the first couple of weeks, that would double the number of shrimp. My hopes right now are to increase the number of females, even if it's only by three or four. Ending up with only two females and eight males in my current group really affected the growth rate for the colony...

TDS is at about 121ppm. I dose the trace minerals for the shrimp health up to 119ppm, and then I sprinkle a little bit of some of my dry ferts into the tank to give the plants a bit of yums. I have hygros, cardinalis, rotala, and a marimo moss ball, in addition to the frogbit and dwarf water lettuce that Han sent me.

kH is still 0
    gH is right at 6 degrees of hardness

pH is around 6.6-6.8. I have three IALs in the tank along with the Amazonia substrate and 100% RODI water...not sure why I can't get the pH to go down any further. It was actually lower 3 weeks ago than it is now. For a while there, it was sitting right around 6. I have no idea what caused it to rise over the last 21 days. Aside from the occasional Shirakura shrimp pellet and the IALs, nothing has been added to the tank. If anything, the IALs and Amazonia should have driven the pH down. I'd really like to figure out why I'm getting pH creep as this could prove detrimental to the babies' survival rate if it continues to climb...

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by BluewaterBoof; 08-09-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Plants? I'm grasping in that guess but plants sucking up the co2 with no kH maybe just enough to tip it up maybe? I know that theoretically makes sense (at least to me) but I wouldn't think it'd make several tenths of a point difference. I could be way off in my train of thought, but it doesn't seem you have anything that would raise pH otherwise.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    That may very well be true. Thank you @sfsamm. I didn't think about that. I'll check the pH again in the morning before lights-on and see if there's a noticeable difference. My thoughts on that, however, are that the plant mass is fairly light compared to the volume of the tank, and the intensity of the lighting isn't very strong, so I don't see how the plant respiration could be high enough to make a difference. On top of that, the Amazonia substrate is supposed to buffer the water and prevent the pH swings that would arise from having such a low kH. But, like you, I can't think of anything else that could be causing the creep, myself.
    @Boundava Nat, you have any suggestions? You're the chemmie of the group. Any idea what could be causing the rise in pH?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Plants are a good guess, but you have some slower growers in there from what I can see (java and anubias-right?) and though they would suck up the CO2 in the day - they would release some back at night. Do you have any CO2 currently in the tank? Doing a test of the pH in the AM and again in the PM is a smart idea-would help to confirm or eliminate the plant theory.

Have you tested the buffering claims of the substrate? Did you add any of the shrimp mineral blocks? They may be dissolving faster and contributing to the problem. Also, just on a chance-how old is your pH test?
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Hmmmm...Nat made me reconsider something. I have three small stones in there. They were from a bin of volcanic rocks that I've used over the last couple of years. Almost all of those stones are basalt rocks, retrieved from the volcanic flow fields near our home. The igneous rocks are inert and haven't affected my water. HOWEVER, a year or so ago, my in-laws traveled to Pompeii and brought me back some rocks from Mt. Vesuvius. Although I added them to my volcanic rock pile, they were different in that they are pyroclastic rocks as opposed to the vesicular basalt rocks that are in the bin. I honestly can't remember if I tested them or not. Two of the three rocks in the tank are those pyroclastic rocks. I will take those out tonight and put them in a small tupperware bowl with some RODI water and an air stone and see if they affect the pH over the next couple of days.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    a year or so ago, my in-laws traveled to Pompeii and brought me back some rocks from Mt. Vesuvius. Although I added them to my volcanic rock pile, they were different in that they are pyroclastic rocks as opposed to the vesicular basalt rocks that are in the bin. I honestly can't remember if I tested them or not. Two of the three rocks in the tank are those pyroclastic rocks. I will take those out tonight and put them in a small tupperware bowl with some RODI water and an air stone and see if they affect the pH over the next couple of days.
    Good idea. It will be interesting to see what you discover.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast