· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For hanging out on a lazy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the rep!  This is going to be fun! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the "gpld star". - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    This will be for my crystal shrimp.

I believe my issue came from getting water in that spot mentioned in the video during cleaning as opposed to a leaky seal. Will keep an eye on it and keep my toes crossed.
    Nice easy fix for once on the leaky canister. I really like the look of BD\PFS. It's a sleek looking tank so for Boof, I hope you have good luck with it and the shrimp.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Well, darn. The filter still leaks, and this morning I figured out why.

I pulled apart the head and was surprised to find out there really isn't much you aren't seeing. It's just an open compartment that houses the impeller magnet.

WP_20170716_001.jpg

What is happening is that water is somehow entering this compartment and filling up over time. After several hours, the water line gets high enough to flow out of the head via the little grooves for the latches.

WP_20170716_003.jpg

The leak is in a tricky spot. There are two posts that stick up that the intake/outflow hoses attach to. There are two little barbs on the ends of those posts. As you insert the hose connector into the head, there is a lever that you push over that 1) opens the ball valves in the hoses and 2) slips a locking mechanism over the barbs to tighten and lock the connector in place to the posts.

The plastic under the intake post's barb is cracked and the barb wiggles like a loose tooth. When I insert the hose connector and flip the lever to open the lines and lock the connector in place, that little tightening mechanism slides under the barb and pulls it up, which then opens up a crack right where the intake hose inserts into the top of the post. As time passes, water that is leaking from this spot goes down into the head casing. Couple of hours later, the head is filled enough to start leaking over those little grooves where the latches are located.

So leak located. Question is whether I have enough plastic to work with. I'm gonna mix up a tiny bit of JB Weld and use a little paint brush to apply it in and along the crack. I also may look into filing down the plastic locking thingy in the hose connector so that it doesn't pull up so hard on the barb.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Which AquaTop is this?.....many of the reviews I'm reading reveal they are sub-par, at best
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    The hose connector and lever:

WP_20170716_013.jpg

The locking mechanism:

WP_20170716_012.jpg

The posts/barbs. Broken one is on the left.

WP_20170716_009.jpg

Water comes out right underneath that barb and goes down that hole in the white head piece.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Which AquaTop is this?.....many of the reviews I'm reading reveal they are sub-par, at best
    This is a SunSun 302. I have this one and a larger one and have had no issues. They're not bad units, especially considering the price point. Most people don't have issues with them. I actually like my SunSuns more than my Eheim, for many reasons. I'm not complaining about the leak. It's a minor problem considering I only spent $50 on the unit :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    This is a SunSun 302. I have this one and a larger one and have had no issues. They're not bad units, especially considering the price point. Most people don't have issues with them. I actually like my SunSuns more than my Eheim, for many reasons. I'm not complaining about the leak. It's a minor problem considering I only spent $50 on the unit :)
    Oh, I thought it was an Aquatop, from the vid you posted.

Why do you like it more than the Eheim?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    I think Aquatop is related to SunSun.

These are just personal opinions. I respect everyone's own preferences. But the reasons I like my SunSuns more:

1) Price. I like having the option to spend $50 and get a nice large canister for a smaller tank as opposed to dropping twice as much for an Eheim (2213) that doesn't even have the same flow capabilities.
    2) Cleaning. SunSuns have media trays already includes in the unit. I don't have to go out and buy additional mesh bags to put your media in. Each basket has a handle for added convenience.
    3) Flow. I like flow. I like lots of flow. My little $50 SunSun out-flows my Eheim 2217. Eheim spouts all that stuff about how they underpower their units to "increase contact time" with the bio media. Sure, there's probably some merit to that, but if you're already turning the tank volume over 7+x over with a stronger canister loaded with media, I don't see any advantage to the longer contact times. I like good flow in my tanks because it eliminates dead spots with all the plants I end up with. Keeping the flow up reduces the amount of fish waste and plant debris that ends up just sitting on the substrate.
    4) Surface skimmer. SunSuns include skimmer attachments on their intake tubes. Eheim offers a surface skimmer attachment....for $50. If you don't want to use the skimmer, it comes with a little cap that you can put where the skimmer goes. Or you can run the skimmer, which will take care of any bio film or floating debris, giving you crystal clear surface and I don't have to worry about things like some stray dog fur making its way to my fish or the substrate.
    5) Hose connections. The insert of the hose connector is an instant attach/release, compared to the double-tap and screw connectors on the Eheims. Obviously, we've now seen a design flaw, here. But one that may be an easy fix. We shall see.
    6) Hose attachments. Unlike Eheim hoses that were so tight they had to be warmed up just to slide onto the intake and shepherd's hook, SunSun hoses are nice and thick, slide easily over the barbed end of the attachments, and are held securely in place by threaded caps that tighten down over the hoses. This makes disconnecting things like the spray bar very easy while still ensuring a snug and secure connection.
    7) Attachment cleaning. The intake and spray bars are several pieces of plastic that slide snugly into place. Taking them apart to clean is very easy. The shepherd hook attachment for the Eheim is flawed in the way that the bend is so sharp and small that I can't get my hose cleaner through it, so there is a section that doesn't get cleaned. The SunSun spray bar all comes apart so that the worst piece you have to clean is simply a small 90* elbow that you can clean with your finger, if you wanted.
    8) Priming pump. I don't use the priming pump to prime the canister. I simply blow the outflow line for a couple seconds and then let gravity do the rest. But I use the priming pump to burp put sit that gets trapped in the canister. With my Eheim, when that happens I have to give the whole thing some tilts and shakes to try knocking the bubbles loose. I can simply give the SunSum a pump or two to clear out the air.
    9) Latching. SunSun head lines up straight without any fooling around because it is a square going into a square. Eheim you have to line up the head so that all those little latches are aligned with their slots. Then you gotta snap/unsnap all those little delicate metal tabs which people are always bending. With the SunSun you have four large latches that just slap into place and you're done.
    10) Carrying. Eheim units are featureless and you essentially have to palm the unit when you carry it. SunSuns have contoured heads that allow you to grip the canister more surely, which is nice for when the unit is filled/heavy and/or wet.
    11) Price. Again. You get a decent unit that holds up fairly well considering you are buying them for a fraction of the price of an Eheim.

I agree that a lot of the points I make are simple little details, but they add up for me and end up making a strong argument against the more expensive canisters. That all being said, my Eheim is nice and I feel like I don't have to worry about its lifespan too much, but I just like those little creature comforts of the SunSun :)

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just pretend it's a cardinal, lol - Slaphppy7   Here's to 5 years, bud. - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Here is some coffee so you have lots of energy to get ready to order fish from Wetspot! - discusluv   16K posts! - Slaphppy7   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Good points
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    And the water changes continue. I made the mistake of trying to smooth out and adjust the Amazonia and it stirred up a ton of cloudiness again.

Went to Walmart and picked up a 50ft roll of 1/4" water tubing for $3. No more hauling buckets of RO water for me mwah-hahahahaha

WP_20170716_019.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    All ten shrimp accounted for and one is berried!!!!!!!!!!

WP_20170717_001.jpg

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast