· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

Default Boof's Crystal Black

4 Not allowed!
    Well, filling up a 20long with an RODI unit that only puts out 4g/hr took waaaaaay longer than I wanted to spend on this project today, but I got it done.

I must say, the 20long is definitely a handsome tank. I'm really liking the overall look of the stand and profile of the tank.

Here it was after it was finally filled. I have about an inch of a black diamond/PFS mix on the bottom. This was before I added the ADA Amazonia. I wanted to make sure I had measured out enough of the sand before I capped it.

WP_20170714_005.jpg

And here is that beautiful tank after adding the Amazonia.

WP_20170714_008.jpg

Looks like it's gonna be a couple days before you can see through it again haha

Lots of organics in the Amazonia. There were quite a bit of pieces of wood that floated to the surface. Skimmed them off with a net and have been running the skimmer on the canister filter as there was some frothing, as well. It looks to be clearing up pretty good. I'll change out some water tomorrow, just done for the day.

So I've heard Amazonia will cause an ammonia spike, so I'm not rushing the transfer of the shrimp from the 10g. They have a pretty sweet home already so I want to make sure this new one is an upgrade for them :)

This Amazonia is pretty cool. The grains look way larger in the online photos. They're maybe the size of BBs used in pellet guns. The reason for this substrate is because of its buffering capacity. This will keep the pH stable despite using RO water that has no buffering abilities of its own. It's also supposed to hold the pH down in the lower 6s. I will check the pH tomorrow after letting the water age over night.

WP_20170714_011.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    I am very excited to see this journal! Thank you for sharing!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your wait on shrimp - Boundava   Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   

1 Not allowed!
    Subscribed, also about the ro water, I used a bigger container I filled so I had a brute trash can full at all times for my needs with the SW tank.
    I feel you on the 4 g/day thing, think ours is 75 g/day. Those ones that were higher I couldn't afford.
    Last edited by Jwfish13; 07-15-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your signature is what I want to say to everyone on here. - aquariumlover10   Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

1 Not allowed!
    His is 4 g/h = 96 g/day so roughly the same size as yours.

Looks like an interesting start. Will keep an eye on it.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    William is correct. This unit is actually only rated for 50g/day, but when I've timed it I get a gallon every 15mins, so it's working twice as fast as advertised. I'm sure this will slow down a bit over time as the cartridges get clogged up with all the crap they filter out of the water.

I should have just went to the store and bought a bunch of distilled water knowing that I would be filling up a large volume all at once haha

So woke up this morning to find the water line had dropped a good inch or two. Checked underneath the tank and discovered a pretty wet floor. The canister head is leaking, so I need to figure out a way to fix that. I've been reading online that people use vaseline. Not sure if that's just a preventative measure for canisters that don't leak, or if it is a fix for one that is already leaking.

Any thoughts?

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Here is some coffee so you have lots of energy to get ready to order fish from Wetspot! - discusluv   16K posts! - Slaphppy7   For the new corycats! :) - discusluv   Thanks Lee :) Good to be back - Compass   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry about the canister filter, no suggestions :(

I'm looking forward to your progress with this tank though, what were you going to stock it with?
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Is this a new or old canister? Does it have an O ring around the lid? It may be a bit stretched if it is old and needs to be replaced. I use Magic Lube ll Silicon for all of my O rings on aquarium and pool. If your O rings are mostly made of rubber vasoline can deteriorate it over time.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    What kind of canister?

I use Vaseline on all of my filter O rings
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    Sorry about the canister filter, no suggestions :(

I'm looking forward to your progress with this tank though, what were you going to stock it with?
    This will be for my crystal shrimp. They're in a 10g right now, and I haven't been satisfied with the setup as it is a Frankenstein's monster using filters and lights that aren't really meant to go with that tank. I had also wanted to get them in a nice clean substrate as the Eco Complete in the 10g is a couple years old.

Not my image. I don't have a camera this nice haha
    crystal-black-shrimp-for-sale.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Silbar View Post
    Is this a new or old canister? Does it have an O ring around the lid? It may be a bit stretched if it is old and needs to be replaced. I use Magic Lube ll Silicon for all of my O rings on aquarium and pool. If your O rings are mostly made of rubber vasoline can deteriorate it over time.
    It's about a year old. I examined it more after I woke up completely and got the dogs and kid up and fed (wife's turn to sleep in). Online searches yielded discussions regarding only the O-ring, so I focused on that. It's still perfect to visual inspection. I did not attempt to remove it as I didn't want to stretch it out, but it sat nice and tight in its groove, and I couldn't see or feel any cracks or imperfections. Wasn't dry.

Jumped back online and saw this video describing an issue with the same canister I'm using.

I gave the filter a good tilt as seen in the video and had the water gush out, as well. So I took the head off and drained a ton of water out of it. Reconnected it to the hoses and made sure all the seals in that part were nice and clean. I've now got a casserole dish under the filter and have been checking it periodically to see if the filter is still leaking. Bone dry. I believe my issue came from getting water in that spot mentioned in the video during cleaning as opposed to a leaky seal. Will keep an eye on it and keep my toes crossed.

Definitely have some ammonia from the Amazonia. Pulled a sample out earlier and it was reading between the 0.25ppm and 0.50ppm on the chart. I have to crack open this canister one more time to put a bag of Purigen in it. May as well add some seeded media from my other filters to take care of the ammonia.
    Last edited by BluewaterBoof; 07-15-2017 at 05:58 PM.