· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Angelfish Changing Color

0 Not allowed!
    I am setting up my first 125 gal aquarium and decided to add a couple Angelfish. This is the first time I have ever owned Angelfish. They are silver looking with vertical bands. The bands are a real faint grey sometimes and then turn very dark sometimes. This afternoon I had to replant one of my plants near where the Angelfish were located. When my hand came close to the fish, their vertical bands turned really dark. Is this normal? I didn't know Angelfish changed colors?
    Another question. What can I feed these fish. They have only been in the aquarium for a few days, but I'm having a hard time getting them to feed. Day one, they ate some goldfish pellets. Since then I have tried frozen blood worms (thawed), frozen brine shrimp (thawed), and tropical flakes. They don't seem interested in eating. Outside of that, they seem to be normal. They swim around and act like normal fish. Any suggestions? Could it be the fish are still acclimating to their new environment?
    Last question. I have four Eclipse catfish. One of the catfish follows the Angelfish very closely. It's not biting at the Angelfish, but nudging them. Is this normal?
    Thanks in advance.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    normal for cichlids

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Wow. I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the reply.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

1 Not allowed!
    Just wait about 5 days to a week to start feeding them. They could be stressed. Fish also can get 'backed up' (constipated) from the fish store and travel. Once they are more comfortable in your tank, they'll usually release it. Just give them some time.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    The bars change colour dependant on their mood. Usually a happy angel feeling secure will have black bars, and the bars fade if the angelfish is stressed for some reason. Will they still eat goldfish pellets, or nothing at all? If they are not eating now, try lowering the light level. I'm not familiar with that catfish, it is possible it's stressing them a bit, but as long as the catfish isn't hurting them, they should get used to it and eventually nudge him back. Angels are pretty resilient, provided the water is right for them and the tank size is adaquate and is not a new tank.

Everytime I ever got angels from the LFS, I've had to train them to eat pellets. Goldfish pellets are ok, but not what you want them to eat long term. Your angels are most likely not accustomed at all to frozen foods. Usually, after I offer a new food a couple of times, they'll mouth it, spit it out, taste it, and if they decide it's yummy, will start eating the rest enthusiastically. Still, some individual angels will go crazy for a specific food, while others will seem disinterested completely. That's why it's important to vary the food. If your angels are already eating goldfish pellets, you probably won't have an issue switching them onto pellets designed for angelfish. Examples of good nutritious pellet food I like to use are NLS discus pellets 1mm, NorthFin cichlid pellets 1mm for younger angels, 2mm for adults, NutriFin Bug Bites 0.8-1.6mm and Omega One pellets. Make sure to also include a veggie pellet once a week or so. I don't find flakes are enough to sustain angelfish, not enough food per bite, but it keeps them busy of they look bored lol. I still don't give them very much per feeding. Adult angels don't even need to eat everyday, but I feed them about 3-4 pellets each at least per day and mix up the types everytime. For breeding female fish, I feed more obviously, and food high in protein. Another really good food to try is Repashy gel foods. I use spawn and grow for my pregnant mamas.

How old are your angels? It's easiest and the best results happen when the fish is young. My older angels don't like frozen whiteworms nearly as much as bloodworms. Keep trying, a little at a time, I have confidence they'll eventually be very interested in frozen foods as well. Still, the pellets are the staple food, feed frozen foods as a treat once or twice a week.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Those catfish can grow to a foot and a half long, and will eat whatever fits in their mouths

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...us-brachysoma/
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

3 Not allowed!
    Yup, my zebra angels will do this. If I approach the tank too quickly, the juveniles will lose the coloration to their stripes momentarily until they realize I'm a food-bringer and not a death-giver hahaha My marbled angel doesn't do this, though, only my zebras.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Yup, my zebra angels will do this. If I approach the tank too quickly, the juveniles will lose the coloration to their stripes momentarily until they realize I'm a food-bringer and not a death-giver hahaha My marbled angel doesn't do this, though, only my zebras.
    You are absolutely correct. The black on marbled angelfish is permanent, they actually lack the vertical black bars we are talking about. The marble gene masks these bars, unless the fish only possesses one marble gene, and the other is wild. In that case, black permanent marbleling will be present, along with vertical bars that fade with mood.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 07-11-2017 at 06:52 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Those catfish can grow to a foot and a half long, and will eat whatever fits in their mouths

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...us-brachysoma/
    Hmmmm, that catfish might be a threat. Idk if I'd trust it especially at night with sleeping angelfish.

I kept tiger plecos with my angels in a 120g, and (although I think the catfish were getting ready to breed), I found circular suck marks on the flanks of a couple angels with missing scales. I rehomed the catfish immediately. I would choose between the catfish and angels to keep in your tank. Just my two cents.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    You are absolutely correct. The black on marbled angelfish is permanent, they actually lack the vertical black bars we are talking about. The marble gene masks these bars, unless the fish only possesses one marble gene, and the other is wild. In that case, black permanent marbleling will be present, along with vertical bars that fade with mood.
    That's a trip. I wonder why the marbling is permanent whereas the vertical stripes are able to fade.