· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah, just depends on where you look. Different scientists with differing opinions about it. The pro-pain peeps seem to rely on the fish's observable behavior to certain types of stimuli, whereas the anti-pain folks insist that the fish lack the physiology necessary to interpret painful sensations.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Well, if they don't have pain receptors, and opioids have no effect until it's too late (the high amount kills them) than I believe they won't feel pain.

I've trimmed angelfish dorsal fins before, (if they are crooked due to injury NOT genetic) and they really don't seem to notice. I was very hesitant to do this at first, but after reading info from other breeders, decided to try it myself. Of course, I never trimmed the dorsal fin past the half way mark, but these were my own personal non-scientic observations.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    My big marbled angel has a crooked dorsal about 3/4 of the way up. It was shredded when I got him from the store as a little juvie. It healed up very quickly, but now that tip is slanted back quite noticeably. I never tried messing with it as it doesn't bother me. I watched a King of DIY vid one time of him trimming his arowana and I about had an anxiety attack just watching the darn thing.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Really? I never had an issue. If the reason for the crooked fin is not genetic, and you snip it with a sharp (I used scissors) in a straight line parallel to the water horizon, they've always grown back quickly and nice and straight. I just net the fish, and while it's still in the water, snip the tip off below the damage.

But if it doesn't bother you, than no need to do anything. For my own angels, I don't bother. If I see one of my juvies dorsal fins were shredded (and it happens), I trim of the shredded part to help out grow back nice and straight. Oftentimes, especially if they are young, you won't even notice they ever had an issue. But it's different for me who is raising angelfish for sale. Most people look for straight fins.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think I could bring myself to it. Maybe if I knew it was a necessary procedure to prevent further injury or something, or like you if I was raising and selling specimens, but no snippy snippy for Andre haha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Name THIS pleco, lol - Slaphppy7   No Message - Boundava   Your Angelfish Tank - Boundava   'Cause the AC is your favorite book, lol - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    I watched a King of DIY vid one time of him trimming his arowana and I about had an anxiety attack just watching the darn thing.
    YES, I watched this too! And my reaction was quite the same as yours. To do something like he did with such an expensive fish is just crazy. He was even shaking as he was doing it. But all went well, thankfully for him AND his poor fish ;)

If I had to trim any fins, I'm sure I would only be attempting the procedure IN the water as Kat mentioned. Yikes!
    65g neons, black neons, serpae tetras, harlequins, zebra danios, ghost shrimp, cory cats, nerite snails, vampire shrimp

125g cory cats, nerite snails, flower shrimp, white clouds, angelfish, discus, pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishlove View Post
    YES, I watched this too! And my reaction was quite the same as yours. To do something like he did with such an expensive fish is just crazy. He was even shaking as he was doing it. But all went well, thankfully for him AND his poor fish ;)

If I had to trim any fins, I'm sure I would only be attempting the procedure IN the water as Kat mentioned. Yikes!

Bad idea to trim fins in the water, the fish will struggle and you introduce a higher risk at doing more damage. Once out of the water the fish is more complacent.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Name THIS pleco, lol - Slaphppy7   No Message - Boundava   Your Angelfish Tank - Boundava   'Cause the AC is your favorite book, lol - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    You make a good point Rocksor! It's just a risky procedure to begin with. Maybe I feel this way because I've never done it
    65g neons, black neons, serpae tetras, harlequins, zebra danios, ghost shrimp, cory cats, nerite snails, vampire shrimp

125g cory cats, nerite snails, flower shrimp, white clouds, angelfish, discus, pleco