· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishlove View Post
    So, I put a small container of tank water in a big container of ice. Waiting for the temp to drop below 39F. Do I take the fish out of the tank and then plunk him in the freezing water? It seems like this would be such a shock and wrong, or am I being weird? Wouldn't you want him to "slowly" feel the temp dropping? Ugghh.....I guess it's better than having him suffer in the tank. And I don't have clove oil at the moment. Need to get some though.
    Read the link from AVMA, slow freezing is cruel for fish not sedated. There isn't a house freezer that can freeze them instantaneously.

If you want a mucher faster euthanization, squeeze the head of the fish fast and hard using your index finger and thumb.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Name THIS pleco, lol - Slaphppy7   No Message - Boundava   Your Angelfish Tank - Boundava   'Cause the AC is your favorite book, lol - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Ok, first off, I don't think I could ever squeeze the head of a fish to end it's life nor could I chop it off. Eww....I checked the water and it was at 34F so I netted the danio and put him in it. Of course he twitched at first but as you said, Rocksor, his gill movement ceased within 20 seconds. He is now in my freezer and at least he is done suffering. I appreciate all your help.
    Also, thanks for that article from the AVMA. Very good info ;)
    65g neons, black neons, serpae tetras, harlequins, zebra danios, ghost shrimp, cory cats, nerite snails, vampire shrimp

125g cory cats, nerite snails, flower shrimp, white clouds, angelfish, discus, pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    If you want a mucher faster euthanization, squeeze the head of the fish fast and hard using your index finger and thumb.
    And I thought the guy driving over his fish was brutal hahahaha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    And I thought the guy driving over his fish was brutal hahahaha
    not any different than someone having to euthanize their horse with a gun to the head

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    No, "not any different" would be like crushing the horse's head with your hands ;)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishlove View Post
    Slap! Thanks for your response. I tried "liking" it but apparently it wasn't having it. On the other hand, it feels so good to be back. Maybe temporary but I really missed it here. :) I have so many things I'd like to share with you all and hopefully I'll be able to do that. I just recently signed a contract with a facility for the next few months (I usually work per diem) and my hours are M-F 8-4:30pm How sweet is that!? ha ha.....I work in health care, so when I'm scheduled 2-10:30 pm shift per say, I know I'm not getting out of there until 1-3hrs PAST my shift. Hopefully now I will be done on time. :) And I can spend some more time here.
    I can't wait to see/hear how everyone's tanks are doing :)
    The "like" button should be working fine, click once to like, click again to remove the "like" if you change your mind.

Good to have you back, congrats on the new job schedule, and looking forward to hearing more from you now.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    I'm glad the ice water and freezer method worked and went as expected. It's never easy to euthanize, but the key thing you said "the fish is not suffering anymore".
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Read the link from AVMA, slow freezing is cruel for fish not sedated. There isn't a house freezer that can freeze them instantaneously.

So I don't have ensure the fish has expired before placing in the freezer as long as the fish is completely sedated? From what I read from the PDF, the sensors in the brain is what allows the fish (or any animal) to feel pain. If they are completely sedated with clove oil, will they feel it?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So it's still not really known?
    I guess how you described sensations in your arm is a good example, they can react, but this reaction is not necessarily due to actually feeling pain. At least, not the way we (humans) know it.

Thanks for the link :)
    -Kat