· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp Newbie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your a quick learner - Strider199   You are off to a good start. - Fishin Phil   A girlfrienf for Lewis, lol - Slaphppy7   

Red face Shrimp Newbie

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all!

So I am recently coming back to the aquarium scene... I had a 29g FW but had to move etc. and decided to put it away till I'm in a more permanent living situation. :D

However, I'm completely itching to at least have a small tank so I've settled on a 5 gallon tank from Marineland (https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-ML...rds=marineland)
    I got a new lamp for live plants (got an assortment + moss), and a heater. Will also be cycling the tank as soon as it gets here. I also will be covering up the intake places with a mesh so they can't crawl in or get sucked in (any suggestions?)

Should I just use fish food to cycle or ammonia?

I am thinking about getting maybe 5-10 RCS to start off.. Does that sound good?

Anything I'm missing? Let me know of any tips!

Thanks!!
    ❊ Shrimp Newbie ❊
    5g Planted
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ
    29g FW Planted Community -- INACTIVE :(

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    Welcome back to the hobby! That is a beautiful dog in your photo.

I'd cycle with ammonia over fish food. Have you an Ace Hardware store near you? Their brand of ammonia is known to be safe (no additives).

I'm not familiar with what your new tank intake is like. This is what I use on all my filter intakes, but I don't know if he has one that will fit your intake. http://www.hanaquatics.com/ss-filter-guard/

I'm looking forward to watching you get this tank ready for shrimp!
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I prefer Ammonia to cycle a tank it's much easier to control. I use the ace Ammonia, but I believe Dr Tim's and Dr Fosters and Smith both offer an additive free Ammonia also.

There's lots of ways to block an intake on a filter... I had to get inventive for mine, built in power filter on a fluval. If you have an intake tube you can cram filter floss in the end or use a prefilter to put on (similar to filter guards offered by Hahn aquatics but added benefit of more area for bb to colonize) if you don't mind the appearance.

If it works like a protein skimmer, kind of an overflow type intake... I found some sponge media (stumbled into it at my fave place way) that fit perfectly on top of my other media and blocked entry from even shrimplets. I can help you get it blocked if it's an overflow type intake it took me three different attempts to get it done :)

And you can definitely have more than 5-10 RCS to start. I'd go with at least 15 to start myself! But I'm a well researched shrimp newbie myself so I'm not sure how long 5 gallons is sufficient when they get to breeding for you! I have 13 adult RCS, ummmm a bunch of shrimplets, and 8-10 Amanos (there were more Amano (like 18-20)but as they grow large enough not to be fish food they've been moving into other tanks.

Welcome to shrimp! I've found myself very very much enjoying them since I finally caved and tried them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your a quick learner - Strider199   You are off to a good start. - Fishin Phil   A girlfrienf for Lewis, lol - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks both of you!! I'm very excited to get this started up. I just wished the cycling didn't take so long, but I did it with my bigger tank and I know its totally worth it!

And I found some ammonia on amazon specifically for aquarium cycling oddly enough- probably too expensive but saves me a trip trying to find an Ace Hardware around my house. hehe

There's one part at the top is more of like a "blower" that circulates water so I really need to find someway to attach netting or something so little shrimp can't climb into it. Then theres a piece of the backing that has little spiral openings that wouldn't really allow a bigger shrimp to get in.. but could snatch up a tiny baby maybe? When I get the tank in I'll post a picture to describe what it looks like better, I couldn't find any pictures online.

And 10 sounds good, I didn't wanna get too many and then get overcrowded later on and not know what to do with them. haha I'm not sure what Amanos look like but I'll look them up!
    ❊ Shrimp Newbie ❊
    5g Planted
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Is that your dog in the Avatar pic? How spoiled is he or she?
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes it is! his name is Levi, he is very spoiled but doesn't act like it. Haha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Ok guys!! I finally got all my plants in. Unfortunately had to restart the cycling and I'm still waiting on Nitrites to show up.

IMG_1663.jpg

And this is intake part of the filter(swirly looking holes). I tried to get a good picture but plants/driftwood are in the way. I'm thinking I need some sort of netting or something behind it so shrimplettes can't be sucked through..
    IMG_1664.jpg
    Last edited by kattiq; 07-18-2017 at 03:09 PM.
    ❊ Shrimp Newbie ❊
    5g Planted
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Looks good!

Yes, you will definitely need something over that filter intake
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Is there a sponge directly behind that, pressed up against those holes?
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Tough to tell online, but it looks like it so you don't need to cover that as its just for circulation-the shrimp cant really get in unless you pull the whole sponge out-they you would need to cover it.

The slits on top may be an entry point since it looks like they sit above the sponge. You can block that off by using tulle on plastic canvas-it would be like a screen you can add to the inside of the filter, just make it longer so you can slip it in front of the sponge filter.

15113xl_2.jpg
    download (1).jpg

Excuse my bad drawing, but I hope this works with my poor description to give you a cleared idea what I mean.

DOjo.jpg
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore