· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp Newbie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I have a similar set up in my shrimp tank. I ended up cutting some sponge material that I made fit tightly over the sponge filter behind the overflow. So far I've had three hatches of shrimp and never lost one in the overflow.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   great job on figuring out your photos - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like a very nice start. Keep us up updated :)
    My Aquarium Journals:

LiveBearer Aquascape

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your a quick learner - Strider199   You are off to a good start. - Fishin Phil   A girlfrienf for Lewis, lol - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the replies!! Especially the drawing and explanation Boundava :)
    The tule idea is a good one since there is no sponge directly behind that intake.. Here's a picture that I should have provided before..
    IMG_1687.jpg
    Front End- theres nothing at the bottom where the intake filter is

IMG_1688.jpg
    Back end

So the filter is at the top and theres a sponge on the back end of that piece. So what I'm thinking is maybe wrapping the tule around the bottom half, or attaching it directly behind the intake so that even if they tried they probably couldn't get past the tule.

I'm still waiting on the tank to cycle..I literally just want shrimp in there nowwww!!! I think I'm super close though, my nitrites are kinda lowering though? I tested Nitrates for the first time today and there could be some but I'm not sure, the color could of either been yellow or orange depending on the light. lol I'm not sure the exact parameters because I've never cycled a tank this small before.
    ❊ Shrimp Newbie ❊
    5g Planted
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ
    29g FW Planted Community -- INACTIVE :(

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    You want trItes to lower, then become 0, so that is good.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your a quick learner - Strider199   You are off to a good start. - Fishin Phil   A girlfrienf for Lewis, lol - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Also here's a comedy break of my cat Lincoln trying to get into the tank (he can't really thankfully) and then being caught on camera.
    ❊ Shrimp Newbie ❊
    5g Planted
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    He's a big cat, I hope he can't push it over

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    He's a big cat, I hope he can't push it over
    No, it's a little too heavy for that. He just likes to swat the frogbit at the top around. He hates water otherwise. lol Thankfully the lid on top is heavy glass too so he can't get that either by himself, unless I'm doing something in the tank.
    ❊ Shrimp Newbie ❊
    5g Planted
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Aright! So I went to the pet store.. picked up 6 ghost shrimp and 2 red cherries (they were sort of expensive and they didn't have very many) the ghost shrimp were 49 cents, and pretty large..
    I also got a baby betta (don't hate I got it from Petco- I don't have a LFS other than chain stores around me) purpose was also to have a betta with a smaller mouth so no shrimps are eaten. So far so good and he doesn't even really bother them. The shrimp seemed more interested in following him around instead. He was the biggest of the bunch and the prettiest. :)
    I read somewhere that in a smaller tank a lot of times the nitrate readings are very low or appear nonexistent due to plants? And since my aquarium is pretty heavily planted for its size I went ahead and assumed it was cycled. I didn't want to run the risk of the bacteria dying off so I went ahead and got a fish in there.
    I woke up this morning with one ghost dead, but he was looking a little iffy last night and again.. only 49 cents lost... :/
    Betta ate today and I think the shrimp are in good spirits. Not sure on the genders of the RCS they are pretty tiny but bright red. I'll try to get a better pic tonight.

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg
    ❊ Shrimp Newbie ❊
    5g Planted
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the betta and shrimp.

Plants have nothing to do with whether or not a tank is cycled, you need to have a liquid test kit and test for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Congrats on the betta and shrimp.

Plants have nothing to do with whether or not a tank is cycled, you need to have a liquid test kit and test for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte.
    Yes I know that, and I have a testing kit. Everything has ended up showing zero. I would add ammonia, would test and it would show up 1-2ppm right after I added. I kept it at 1-2ppm because it's a small tank. Would test next day and it would show up zero along with everything else. Had a spike in Nitrites initially but they have gone down since. I saw a tiny bit of Nitrates but it's hard to differentiate because yellow and orange are so close in hue. So I did a partial water change yesterday and added the fish/shrimp.
    ❊ Shrimp Newbie ❊
    5g Planted
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ