· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

Cool Any T-Bar Cichlid Keepers on AC?

0 Not allowed!
    This is a fish (Cryptoheros sajica) that I've kept my eye on over the past two years. I've never seen one in person but would love to get a tank for them. Anyone have experience keeping them? Any thoughts on temperament (aggression) or necessities when keeping them? Would I need dithers or are they often out and about? Any opinions would be great.

Also, everyone time i research them, there seems to be a huge variant in color per species. Some have beautiful reds & blues, some more brown and yellow, some very thick in their size, some seem not as large. Any advice?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]Here is a pic I found online of what I would like[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

3 Not allowed!
    they can almost be as aggressive as convicts to fish 25% larger than them or fish that are 25% smaller than them. Males get no larger than convict males. Since they are sexually dimorphic, what you are seeing is males versus females or dominant male coloring versus subdominant male coloring, and then there are breeding colors.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    they can almost be as aggressive as convicts to fish 25% larger than them or fish that are 25% smaller than them. Males get no larger than convict males. Since they are sexually dimorphic, what you are seeing is males versus females or dominant male coloring versus subdominant male coloring, and then there are breeding colors.
    Ok, so would you guess the one in the picture is a Subdominant Male?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The footprint for this dream tank would probably have to be a 75 or 100 depending on local prices. Are there any tank mates you could recommend that are from their origin area?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by waylon101 View Post
    Ok, so would you guess the one in the picture is a Subdominant Male?
    That's a dominant male due to the hump on the head

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by waylon101 View Post
    The footprint for this dream tank would probably have to be a 75 or 100 depending on local prices. Are there any tank mates you could recommend that are from their origin area?
    http://fish.mongabay.com/data/Costa_Rica.htm

you could keep buenos aires tetras as dithers, like 30 of them. Maybe green flier cichlid or rainbow cichlid.

biotope

http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_cen...rica_river.htm

https://issuu.com/nuttycichlids/docs...cation_issue_3
    Last edited by Rocksor; 07-07-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome! Thanks Rocksor!