· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default How Long Have Your Bettas Lived?

0 Not allowed!
    It feels like my Bettas never really live long. I keep exact records with dates for all my tanks, and none of the Bettas live more than 2 years. I take good care of them, too - 5-10 gallon tanks, gentle filter, live plants, Ammonia and Nitrite 0 ppm Nitrates between 5 and 10 ppm, 78-82 degree water temperature, a varied diet of multiple high quality Betta-specific flakes/pellets and frozen foods, just the Betta in the tanks and perhaps a snail, and I buy the Bettas at different places. I can also keep much more fragile fish alive with no problem, and have been keeping aquariums for many years.

How long have your Bettas lived? Do you keep records for your aquariums with exact dates, or is the age an estimate? I've heard a lot of caresheets say their lifespan is 2-3 years, but then I hear some people on forums saying theirs have lived much longer than that. I'm trying to figure out if I'm messing up over and over or if 2 years is within a normal range to have them. I'm starting to think that maybe I just shouldn't ever get another Betta, if mine don't live as long as they should.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

1 Not allowed!
    My experience was very similar to yours. At one time had a 10 gallon tank and a 5.5 gallon tank each housing a single betta. Good temperature, good food, 50% weekly water changes whether they were needed or not. Probably went through 4 or 5 bettas all together. I don't have exact dates but 2 years sound about right. They all followed the same pattern - 6 months to a year of being active and energetic, followed by 6 months to a year of laying around almost all the time, followed by death. Stopped keeping bettas because it was rather depressing.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    10 years ago I had a group of 8 male bettas and they lived 4-7 years. Today the majority of bettas come from poor stock and have very low life expectancy. In the past 5 years I have gotten back into keeping bettas and I haven't had one live past 3 years, and the majority of them have developed either spinal curvatures or tumors (one had multiple tumors) and they die at a year/year and half. So IMO you aren't doing anything wrong, its just where the stock has gone in the last decade. It makes it hard to want to keep a betta when you have to watch the poor thing suffer so much.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 07-06-2017 at 06:08 PM.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    My first fish (actually, my son's), was a betta and he passed away about a month ago. We had him for about two and a half years. We have no idea how old he was when we got him, but he was already full-grown when we first took him home. I'd like to think he had a perfect home, but I'm sure there are a couple of things I could have done better over the years.

RIP my little buddy.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    That's a beautifully aquascaped tank, BluewaterBoof. He looks like a lucky Betta. Bettas are so beautiful and personable that it is especially hard when they pass away.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    I've had 2, they didn't even live 2 years...Boundava is correct, they are mishandled from the time they are caught until the time they are bought, as well
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

2 Not allowed!
    They are now like the puppy mills of the fish world, very few breeders car to avoid inbreeding or cross breeding of closely related kin. This results in all of the health problems prevalent in today's stock. My sister even paid for one from China and she didn't live past 2 years either.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

1 Not allowed!
    You see those ultra fancy bettas being sold on aquabid or whatever that come directly from Thailand... they're expensive and so is the international shipping but they're beautiful and it's clear their breeding has been attended to with great care. I wonder if those do any better than our petsmart bettas we get here.

EDIT: sounds like Boundava has had some experience with this already.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Akeath View Post
    That's a beautifully aquascaped tank, BluewaterBoof. He looks like a lucky Betta. Bettas are so beautiful and personable that it is especially hard when they pass away.
    Thank you.

Here was another tank that we gave to a lucky betta. Tank had to be stripped down after losing long (1-2 year) battle against some nasty clado algae, though.

2016_05_17_18_25_23_ProShot.jpg