· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Ready to lay eggs? Pregnant? Several fish in question.

0 Not allowed!
    Hello!

I have three fish I'd like your opinion on. And I will post photos of them. All fish in question are in a 20 gallon tank.

The first fish, and the one I'm most puzzled with, is my pink glofish tetra. This fish was suddenly extremely bloated--it happened like overnight. It's been about two or three days, and I've been wondering if this is a female carrying eggs at the moment! I've had this fish for about a year and it has never looked this fat before. If this fish is carrying eggs, how long would it be until she lays her eggs? If it's not a "pregnant" female, is the fish just bloated?!

20170703_080714.jpg20170703_080722.jpg

The second fish is a creamsicle molly. She's also been with me for about a year and hasn't been pregnant until a couple or so months back (because until then I had no males). I definitely think she had fry last cycle, as she was very square and big and then, the next day suddenly thing again. I was happy to see her get pregnant, but disappointed I missed her fry. I wasn't ready for her, as my black molly had just had her babies. Now, I thought she was pregnant again, because she was getting bigger again, and I see her gravid spot for sure. Sometimes I feel like she's starting to square, but it just never looks as pronounced as last time. I'm now wondering if she's really pregnant, or if I'm just seeing things. It must be at least 3 weeks gone by now since I first thought she looked pregnant again. Shouldn't be much longer, right?! When does squaring start? A couple days before labor? Sooner? Later?

20170703_080846.jpg20170703_081251.jpg20170703_081435a.jpg

The third fish is a platy. Now, I know platies can't breed with mollies or guppies (or at least so I've read online), but she was most definitely pregnant at the same time as my creamsicle. They were both super big and super square and the next morning they were both slim. Now they both look pregnant again. My platy looks a little more square than my creamsicle. The platy I've only had about 4-5 months-ish, and the males constantly chase her. (see photos of platy in replies)

Thanks for all your input!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Here are the photos of my platy. On the second picture she's on the left.

20170703_080916.jpg
    20170703_081419.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For my cruel joke. - William   Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Platy does look pregnant to me. They can store sperm for months, she may have come that way from the store.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Slaphppy7. Is it typical for a livebearer to store sperm for months and not get pregnant several months though? Like, she would've had the sperm when I got her, didn't get pregnant for like three months and then got pregnant twice. Is that possible? Like the sperm lay dormant so to speak...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For my cruel joke. - William   Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    That, I am not sure of...she could have been having fry that were eaten, though

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, true, but she's only looking pregnant the second time around now.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, that's strange...you didn't see fry the first time around?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    No, I've so far only seen fry twice in my aquarium. The first time there was only one baby fish, hiding. It was luck I spotted it. Due to some mishaps it didn't make it--the other fish got to it. And that one came from a dalmation molly. The second time was when I put my molly in a breeder, and we got fry from her. Other than that I've never seen fry in my tank(s).

edit: but like I said, the other fish get to them. Most of the time they seem to give birth at night, so I miss it, and by the time I get up, all the fry has been eaten.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    No one has any idea about the other fish? The tetra is starting to worry me. I think she's gotten even fatter. If she's carrying eggs, how long before she'll lay them?