· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default All male guppy tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys, I want to make a tank that has all male guppies because with male and female guppies, the tank is usually overpopulated. I have a 20 gallon regular tank and I am currently thinking about how many male guppies I should keep in it. I have read that smaller groups will usually have a dominant who bullies all the other guppies, but I have read that bigger groups will still have a lot of aggression. Any suggestions? Also, is there anything else I should know?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for showing us your white platinum roundtails - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    It's remains a matter of trying. I've got some tanks with the same conditions but in some tanks you can really see the dominance between males and the other tanks it's just total peace in there.
    For sure there are triggers which "can" develop dominance but doesn't have to be.

Devoted aquarist ever since early 1970's...
    Breeder of rare livebearers...
    Specific focus on guppies (fancy, wild and wildtype) and endlers (wild and fancy)...
    Breeder, exhibitor & aquaristic consultant

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    As Emerald King states you just have to see what happens. It only takes one jerk to disturb the peace so remove him promptly if it happens. I doubt there is a magic number as they are social, but not schoolers. Plant at least part of the tank heavily so the victim has a place to hide if there is a need, until you can attend to the situation.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of plants do you suggest

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeet View Post
    What kind of plants do you suggest
    I am intentionally breeding quality guppies that I sell but they should still work in an all male tank. They will nibble them but not destroy them. Guppies thrive with some vegetation in their diet. I actually have a few tanks I intentionally grow green algae in for nutrition but that's off topic. In all my guppy tanks (I have about 7 currently), I have some or all of the following. Guppy Grass (which surely has a proper botanical name). anacharis, and hornwort. All of these plants can be floated or tuck bunches in the substrate and they grow with moderate light. If you dose the tank even a little they will grow stupid fast. That appeals to me because they consume nitrates from the tank more effective than slow growers. I don't have any extra now but if you are interested I know a lady in N.J. that would sell you a starter selection very reasonable. I affectionately call her "the crazy plant lady". Her stuff is nice and she might just throw in a couple bonus plants with some color. She is inexpensive and honest so you don't have to worry about getting cheated. PM me if you want her contact info. I'll let her know you are going to contact her if you desire.