· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Anyone Keep A Group Of All Male Platies? How Do They Interact?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm toying with the idea of getting a trio of Platy males in a 20 gallon high, and I'd like to know how they would interact as far as aggression, displaying, and social behaviors go. I know that most caresheets say Platies are pretty peaceful, but I also know that captive lines of Platies have been hybridized with Swordtails (which have very territorial/aggressive males) so extensively that I'm wondering how that has impacted the behavior of the commonly available Platies. Anyone have a group of all male Platies and can tell me from experience what they are like together? Also, what kind of Platies do you have, and how much individual variance have you seen in their behavior or aggression levels?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting idea. I can't say for platies specifically but have kept male guppies by themselves. They were super aggressive towards each other. I wonder if Platies would be different. Hopefully someone else has experience with this.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    It is currently common to maintain male only tanks to avoid fry. It's a fight against nature and I believe it greatly increases the chance of aggression in live-bearers. They eat and mate, it's just what they do. Many aquarists get by with it, but there are daily threads on other forums reporting aggression problems. Guppies, platies, swords and mollies. Guppies and mollies probably the most often. Smaller tanks aggravate it. I think a 20G is the bare minimum I would ever try if I was going to do it, and I think there would still likely be trouble. Platy probably would be your best chance of minimal problems.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by waylon101 View Post
    Interesting idea. I can't say for platies specifically but have kept male guppies by themselves. They were super aggressive towards each other. I wonder if Platies would be different. Hopefully someone else has experience with this.
    I've had the opposite experience. I kept guppies for years and regularly separated out the males to an all male tank - in fact, a very small tank. I had no issues with aggression, no torn fins.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    I've had the opposite experience. I kept guppies for years and regularly separated out the males to an all male tank - in fact, a very small tank. I had no issues with aggression, no torn fins.
    I guess thats the joy of fish keeping lol everyone has different experiences

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    3 male platys in a 20H would be just fine.

I've kept them, guppies, and endlers with no issues.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by waylon101 View Post
    I guess thats the joy of fish keeping lol everyone has different experiences
    That's really it. There are threads on fish lore literally everyday trying to solve bullying guppy fraternity problems. That said, most all of my males are docile. My females are downright mean if I have more than a few in a smaller tank. I recently tried one male with five females because I wanted him to breed them all. If was a war before I pulled the plug and separated them. :) Tried it again a few weeks later and same result. Individual fish have personalities. I have about 200 guppies from just a few strains at the moment so it's hard to keep track of the angry ones lol.

Back on topic I do think I would do platies for least risk. I seldom here of serious problems resulting in actual physical damage with them.
    Last edited by OnTheFly; 07-03-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I think it depends on the fish. I have an extremely aggressive male guppy that has to be kept alone because he has killed multiple other male guppies, shrimp and a snail. But I have seen aggression even between the remaining three in the tank, though now it seems to be reserved to posturing and no more fin damage. In a 20H you should have plenty of room for them to run away if things get dicey. I would make sure to have plenty of cover.

This is a video of them interacting before I removed the yellow one.
    A single frog sparked an interest, the pursuit of knowledge fueled my passion.
    1g: Home of the Homicidal Guppy
    5g: Single Female Koi Betta
    10g: ADF, Guppies and Otos
    29g: Journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Akeath View Post
    I'm toying with the idea of getting a trio of Platy males in a 20 gallon high, and I'd like to know how they would interact as far as aggression, displaying, and social behaviors go.
    I have kept all male platies together (as part of a peaceful community tank) and they do quite well. The only times I've seen aggression from them was when there was a female with them.

As others have said, individual fish do have individual personalities. There is always that chance. You are wise to take steps to try to prevent aggression and stack odds in your favor. All males, a small group of three, a 20 gallon tank -- those are all good choices that you've made. Bring in some line-of-sight breakers to create 'spaces' were they can each claim their own hangouts -- that's probably already something you're planning.

I really think your idea of trying a trio of male platies in a 20 gallon tank sounds like a good one. I hope you will let us know how it all goes!
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just pretend it's a cardinal, lol - Slaphppy7   Here's to 5 years, bud. - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Here is some coffee so you have lots of energy to get ready to order fish from Wetspot! - discusluv   16K posts! - Slaphppy7   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Most male livebearers will most of the time get along fine, I've heard different stories when it comes to male swordtails but platies are usually pretty docile with each other ;-)
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep