· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just because :) - Silbar   

Default Is it time for a new filter?

0 Not allowed!
    My ten gallon has been running since December and the last few water changes I have been noticing the water level is higher in the back of the filter and today it over flowed. I have been rinsing it every other weekly water change but it has been slowly getting worse. Now it is almost completely green and feels like it is covered in algae. This may have been caused by me not cleaning the filter cartridge at all the first 3 months. Should I change my filter cartridge? What is the best way to do that without destroying my cycle?

Edit: Mistake in the title I meant it to be Is it time for a new filter cartridge?
    A single frog sparked an interest, the pursuit of knowledge fueled my passion.
    1g: Home of the Homicidal Guppy
    5g: Single Female Koi Betta
    10g: ADF, Guppies and Otos
    29g: Journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I hope you get help for your betta! - Slaphppy7   Here's a crayfish for you! - Slaphppy7   You need another fish. - Compass   No Message - Fishhook   thanks for the native fish research - Fishhook   

0 Not allowed!
    you should change your carbon cartridge every month
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    "What will they write upon my grave
    A free man born as a king, who died as a slave" -Logic

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Won't that restart my cycle? I have just been taking out half the carbon and adding more in every month not changing out the whole cartridge. How do you keep the cycle from stalling every month?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    That is a very good question. This dilemma was one of the reasons why I went with Aqua Clear filters. I feel like the filters that require you to change the cartridge monthly are money pits in the first place.
    Also, when was the last time you cleaned the actual filter (housing, motor, etc) not the cartridge ?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    What kind of filter is this? Perhaps you can modify it to take regular media rather than the cartridges. Many can be adapted.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I hope you get help for your betta! - Slaphppy7   Here's a crayfish for you! - Slaphppy7   You need another fish. - Compass   No Message - Fishhook   thanks for the native fish research - Fishhook   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by crazydragonlady View Post
    Won't that restart my cycle? I have just been taking out half the carbon and adding more in every month not changing out the whole cartridge. How do you keep the cycle from stalling every month?
    The carbon cartridge isn't what grows the Beneficial bacteria that keeps the cycle, the bio media is what does that. The carbon cartridge usually has some sort of cloth in front of it that helps filter larger particles out of the water, when this cloth gets clogged it slows the flow of the filter.
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    "What will they write upon my grave
    A free man born as a king, who died as a slave" -Logic

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    It is a TopFin Power 10 Filter, it came with the kit when I bought it. I take a rag to the inside of the unit every couple of months and wipe off the outside every week because I have hard water so it gets caked in build up.
    Could I dump the filter media into some filter media bags and put it in the reservoir behind the new cartridge. So the water flows through the old media?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post
    The carbon cartridge isn't what grows the Beneficial bacteria that keeps the cycle, the bio media is what does that. The carbon cartridge usually has some sort of cloth in front of it that helps filter larger particles out of the water, when this cloth gets clogged it slows the flow of the filter.
    It depends on the type of filter. Some have a separate carbon cartridge and some have an all in one cartridge.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by crazydragonlady View Post
    It is a TopFin Power 10 Filter, it came with the kit when I bought it. I take a rag to the inside of the unit every couple of months and wipe off the outside every week because I have hard water so it gets caked in build up.
    Could I dump the filter media into some filter media bags and put it in the reservoir behind the new cartridge. So the water flows through the old media?
    If there is room, Absolutely.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It is an all in one cartridge. A small media bag will fit behind it because I had to add extra carbon after I had a bad experience with some root tabs.