· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Black Ghost Knifefish??!

1 Not allowed!
    Has anyone ever kept 1 of these?
    I am going to be getting one and would like to know people's experience with them. If possible, I'd love to see some pictures of your black ghost knifefish. Feel free to tell me any advice you think should be good to know.
    It will be about 3''.
    Host of Exotic Tropical Fish with Aqua Alex on AC Network.

Enjoy your aquarium. Do what you want with your aquarium. Do not seek approval for your own aquarium from someone else. We all have different minds. If you want a certain fish research the fish and learn about it. Then get it.
    -Aqua Alex Cardinale

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    Check out Boof's (Andre") 90G tank journal. He has a beautiful BKF.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...12#post1459112

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silbar View Post
    Check out Boof's (Andre") 90G tank journal. He has a beautiful BKF.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...12#post1459112
    Thank you! He has an awesome BGK!

Enjoy your aquarium. Do what you want with your aquarium. Do not seek approval for your own aquarium from someone else. We all have different minds. If you want a certain fish research the fish and learn about it. Then get it.
    -Aqua Alex Cardinale

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

1 Not allowed!
    I've never kept BGK, do have a Carapo and a zebra knife in the 220 though. Never see the zebra unless I strip down the entire tank for cleaning, but the Carapo will come out for food.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
    I've never kept BGK, do have a Carapo and a zebra knife in the 220 though. Never see the zebra unless I strip down the entire tank for cleaning, but the Carapo will come out for food.
    Oh nice!!! Are those South American Knifefish the carapo ones?? The zebras I really really LOVE! I can never find one here though. How are they and the carapo ones to keep?

-Aqua Alex Cardinale

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaAlex1993 View Post
    Has anyone ever kept 1 of these?
    I am going to be getting one and would like to know people's experience with them. If possible, I'd love to see some pictures of your black ghost knifefish. Feel free to tell me any advice you think should be good to know.
    It will be about 3''.
    BGKs are amazing...where do I start? :)

So, first and foremost, they get BIG. Over a foot big. If given the proper care and adequate room to grow, they will max out around 18" long. Because of this, it is very important to house them in a tank that is at least 18" wide so they have enough space to turn around. I have mine in a 90g, which is 4' long, 2' tall, and 18" wide(front to back). Even this might be too small for him once he is full-grown. I will have to see how he navigates the tank once he is bigger. Right now he is about 10".

Care sheets commonly say they will only eat live foods like worms. I have not experienced any issue with him feeding. I have him in a community tank that sees many different types of foods, and he chows down on every single type:
    Spirulina flakes
    Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets
    Frozen/thawed blood worms
    Freeze dried blood worms
    Omega One freeze dried brine shrimp
    Hikari freeze dried daphnia
    Hikari freeze dried tubifex worms

He will come out when I feed micro pellets and cichlid pellets, but those all get snatched up fairly quickly by the other fish so he doesn't get them much.

I have never EVER seen him attack another fish. He ignores all of the other fish in the tank. He was raised in the tank with them since he was about 3".

They are nocturnal, and essentially blind. Having either a very heavily-planted tank or lots of hiding spots, such as ghost tubes, is necessary in order for it to feel safe during daylight hours.

Above all, they are absolutely amazing to watch. They are electric fish, meaning they send out pulses of electrical signals to map their surroundings. By analyzing the amount of time it takes for an electrical signal to bounce off an obstacle and return to the fish, the ghost can tell exactly where that particular object is without actually seeing it. This allows for the fantastic movement you see when watching a ghost move around a tank. It moves forwards, backwards, sideways, upside-down, nose up, nose down, on its back, etc. all while navigating around and through plants and driftwood without ever touching anything.

Ghosts love to explore. As I'm sitting here at my desk with all the lights off except for the twilight lights from my Finnex on the tank, I can see his tail wagging around and through the plants, like a little puppy, as he explores and hunts for food. Although I can't see his body, his two white bands around the tip of his tail are very visible in the darkness. Ghost are very active (at night) and love to play around in plants and stuff. Please don't get a ghost if you plan on sticking him in a barren cichlid tank with just some pvc pipes and ceramic pots for hiding spots. This is would be a cruel way to treat such a magnificent creature. Give it plants, give it driftwood. Give it something it can treat like an obstacle course. A dynamic setup will encourage behavior that you will love to watch as I can guarantee you that you will never see another fish move around with the complexity and grace of a ghost. Treat it right and having one will be an incredibly rewarding experience for you as its keeper.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaAlex1993 View Post
    Oh nice!!! Are those South American Knifefish the carapo ones?? The zebras I really really LOVE! I can never find one here though. How are they and the carapo ones to keep?
    Yes, they're both SA species, the Carapo is a bit larger than the zebra. Easy enough to keep, the 220 is a mixed stocking of African cichlids, angelicus botias, Synodontis catfish and BN pleco's. Even a couple Tanganykian catfish. Quite a lot of Mopani wood and rocks for cover, so even the larger Carapo has plenty of hiding places. I got the Carapo from someone who had collected it on a trip to the Amazon, and actually smuggled it back in his suitcase. (They're considered a food fish and illegal to export.) It was still a baby when I got it and placed it into a 40 gallon tank full of endler's livebearers. Their population went from hundreds to less than a couple dozen in a matter of a few weeks, then the Carapo was fed extra cichlid fry until those grew too large. No problems with getting it to eat pellets though, and it's lived on NLS as a staple diet for several years now.
    I got the zebra knife online, and tried keeping them together in the 40 gallon tank when it arrived. The Carapo immediately started chasing the zebra relentlessly, probably because they're both electric fish. No problems that I've seen with them together in the larger tank though, aside from never seeing the zebra out in the open, even at feeding time. They do keep the BN and electric yellow cichlid fry under control, very few grow out.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    BGKs are amazing...where do I start? :)

So, first and foremost, they get BIG. Over a foot big. If given the proper care and adequate room to grow, they will max out around 18" long. Because of this, it is very important to house them in a tank that is at least 18" wide so they have enough space to turn around. I have mine in a 90g, which is 4' long, 2' tall, and 18" wide(front to back). Even this might be too small for him once he is full-grown. I will have to see how he navigates the tank once he is bigger. Right now he is about 10".

Care sheets commonly say they will only eat live foods like worms. I have not experienced any issue with him feeding. I have him in a community tank that sees many different types of foods, and he chows down on every single type:
    Spirulina flakes
    Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets
    Frozen/thawed blood worms
    Freeze dried blood worms
    Omega One freeze dried brine shrimp
    Hikari freeze dried daphnia
    Hikari freeze dried tubifex worms

He will come out when I feed micro pellets and cichlid pellets, but those all get snatched up fairly quickly by the other fish so he doesn't get them much.

I have never EVER seen him attack another fish. He ignores all of the other fish in the tank. He was raised in the tank with them since he was about 3".

They are nocturnal, and essentially blind. Having either a very heavily-planted tank or lots of hiding spots, such as ghost tubes, is necessary in order for it to feel safe during daylight hours.

Above all, they are absolutely amazing to watch. They are electric fish, meaning they send out pulses of electrical signals to map their surroundings. By analyzing the amount of time it takes for an electrical signal to bounce off an obstacle and return to the fish, the ghost can tell exactly where that particular object is without actually seeing it. This allows for the fantastic movement you see when watching a ghost move around a tank. It moves forwards, backwards, sideways, upside-down, nose up, nose down, on its back, etc. all while navigating around and through plants and driftwood without ever touching anything.

Ghosts love to explore. As I'm sitting here at my desk with all the lights off except for the twilight lights from my Finnex on the tank, I can see his tail wagging around and through the plants, like a little puppy, as he explores and hunts for food. Although I can't see his body, his two white bands around the tip of his tail are very visible in the darkness. Ghost are very active (at night) and love to play around in plants and stuff. Please don't get a ghost if you plan on sticking him in a barren cichlid tank with just some pvc pipes and ceramic pots for hiding spots. This is would be a cruel way to treat such a magnificent creature. Give it plants, give it driftwood. Give it something it can treat like an obstacle course. A dynamic setup will encourage behavior that you will love to watch as I can guarantee you that you will never see another fish move around with the complexity and grace of a ghost. Treat it right and having one will be an incredibly rewarding experience for you as its keeper.
    Awesome!!! I am excited my Black Ghost Knife ships out tonight for arrival tomorrow morning. I ordered from Aquascape online because my Local Fish Store has stopped carrying the oddball type fish. Looking forward to hand feeding the ghost knife and getting to enjoy watch it grow up in it's 120 gallon aquarium.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
    Yes, they're both SA species, the Carapo is a bit larger than the zebra. Easy enough to keep, the 220 is a mixed stocking of African cichlids, angelicus botias, Synodontis catfish and BN pleco's. Even a couple Tanganykian catfish. Quite a lot of Mopani wood and rocks for cover, so even the larger Carapo has plenty of hiding places. I got the Carapo from someone who had collected it on a trip to the Amazon, and actually smuggled it back in his suitcase. (They're considered a food fish and illegal to export.) It was still a baby when I got it and placed it into a 40 gallon tank full of endler's livebearers. Their population went from hundreds to less than a couple dozen in a matter of a few weeks, then the Carapo was fed extra cichlid fry until those grew too large. No problems with getting it to eat pellets though, and it's lived on NLS as a staple diet for several years now.
    I got the zebra knife online, and tried keeping them together in the 40 gallon tank when it arrived. The Carapo immediately started chasing the zebra relentlessly, probably because they're both electric fish. No problems that I've seen with them together in the larger tank though, aside from never seeing the zebra out in the open, even at feeding time. They do keep the BN and electric yellow cichlid fry under control, very few grow out.
    Nice, I really want a carapo knife. You got me hooked, question is where the hell can I find one?

-Aqua Alex Cardinale

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Nice! How exciting for you!

I've been wanting to get an Ossa knife for a while, now. I've read that they can get along with BGKs, but I'm not sure I'd want to try it unless they grew up together haha

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Nice! How exciting for you!

I've been wanting to get an Ossa knife for a while, now. I've read that they can get along with BGKs, but I'm not sure I'd want to try it unless they grew up together haha
    Ossa knifefish are awesome!

-Aqua Alex Cardinale