· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1050585960

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    This tank is fairly well planted, so I shouldn't have anaerobic zones, but it's possible.
    T
    Could be dead/dying plant matter rotting under the substrate...? Old root system or something.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I did some deep poking about in the substrate, and sure enough some bubbles came up here and there, including right among the roots of one of the swords. So, next question: What do I do about it? I plan on rinsing out the filter tomorrow, but I'm at a loss what to do about the substrate, if that's the problem.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Wow, I dunno... Can you use a siphon in these areas to contain and remove/clean the area? One bonus of trumpet snails is they stir up the substrate all the time.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I use my python and just turn the flow to about a third and vacuum my sand every couple or three months. I run my python out the door though so my suction is kinda huge. I nearly always get a couple spots with bubbles. I also usually do it a couple times in a row. It seems to settle out and stop after a couple years when plant roots are probably really throughout the substrate.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    I use my python and just turn the flow to about a third and vacuum my sand every couple or three months. I run my python out the door though so my suction is kinda huge. I nearly always get a couple spots with bubbles. I also usually do it a couple times in a row. It seems to settle out and stop after a couple years when plant roots are probably really throughout the substrate.
    Well, that's the weird thing: This tank is a couple years old, and the plant growth is quite lush, including some big and growing Amazon swords. So I'm sure the substrate is FULL of roots. The substrate is dirt under sand, so I can't really do a deep gravel vacuum without completely screwing everything up.

The cloudiness and smell both seem a bit better today, but still there. I saw a little bit of gas bubble up from the substrate when I bumped the tank today. Cleaned out the filter; nothing terrible there.
    @Boundava, I'm reluctant to try trumpet snails because I've heard so many horror stories about them taking over the world. But something to slowly stir up the substrate might be a good thing.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I only had ever had issues with them because I had a lot of fish and a lot of food so the waste kind of encouraged their overpopulation.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Well, I went in over the weekend and cleaned out the filter, as I mentioned. Yesterday, I stopped in to check things, and the water was clear as crystal. So, there you go. Thanks for the input, everybody.

I had been meaning to ask the dentist if she was still happy with the way the tank was looking. Yesterday the office manager told me that they were going to give me a raise. So, I guess that question is answered, too. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Well congratulations on keeping them more than happy! That's fantastic to hear! Glad the tank is looking and smelling better as well that's always a good thing.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    That's awesome, glad you got it figured out. I definitely have anaerobic bacteria in all my dirted tanks, and why there is never any detectable nitrates. But I think you can have anaerobic bacteria without the sulfur smell. I certainly don't get the smell everytime I poke the substrate. I actually haven't smelled that in a long time, possibly because my tanks are so mature now.

Of course now I can't find what I read on the matter....

I've never had the smell just like that though. It would be for a short time if I was poking the substrate, or tearing a tank down. So very weird. Some kind of biological hiccup. Glad it corrected itself for now.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1050585960