· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 94957585960 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    Yes indeed. Here's a weird thing I've notices, both in outdoor-mini ponds and in aquariums: Increasing water circulation tends on improve water clarity. That's a bit counter-intuitive to me, as it seems that a powerhead, waterfall, or whatever would actually keep the sediments stirred around. This tank's water is noticeably brighter and clearer since I put the powerhead back in. Anybody else notice this?

Anyway, I have five threadfin rainbows and five red Iryans in qt right now, and the zebra loaches on order. They'll look good.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome, so glad adding some current helped out so much. Interesting about your observation on water quality. Maybe it gets sucked up after being stirred up and pushed around. I have to clean my deep dirted tank filter often. I also started using Eheim prefilters on both my canisters. Takes two mins to clean. But maybe not good if it clogs up in less than a week when the tank is not at home.... just a thought.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    So, I'm going to have to replace the heater on this tank. I just replaced the controller, which died completely. The new controller seems to work great, but the heating element is dead.

The controller has two plug-ins, so I thought I might go with two smaller heaters rather than put all my eggs in one basket. The office has central heat/AC, so the interior temp stays right around 70F.

What kind of wattage do I need for a 150g tank, to hold it about 5-10 degrees F above room temperature?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like you'd need 2 X 250W for a 150G:

https://www.thesprucepets.com/aquari...-guide-1381033
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Looks like you'd need 2 X 250W for a 150G:

https://www.thesprucepets.com/aquari...-guide-1381033
    Looks like. I've never bought this kind of heater before. What brands do you recommend? Amazon has a single finnex 800w element for 60 bucks. Since I'm using a controller, I probably want just elements without the thermostat, correct, or does it matter?

If it doesn't matter, I might pick up something like these. Besides the safety/redundancy issues, I think two smaller ones would be a lot easier to hide.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Well, the LFS had a couple of 300 watt fluvals, so I got them and hooked them up. Good to have it taken care of.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Weirdness: The water in this tank is cloudy and smelling like sulfur. Ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, pH, hardness are all normal. Fish don't seem to be in any distress. What the heck???

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    Weirdness: The water in this tank is cloudy and smelling like sulfur. Ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, pH, hardness are all normal. Fish don't seem to be in any distress. What the heck???
    Quite possibly anaerobic bacteria in the substrate or overfeeding. Comb the substrate and see if you get any bubbles that come up.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    Did you do a water change in the last 24hrs?

Two things come to mind, prime turned bad and substrate gasses. If the fish are fine I'd lean on the prime.... other dechlorinators that are sulphur based can do the same thing.

The only other thought I have is filter fines.... I've went to clean canisters before and had obvious low flow zones and had sulphury smells when I opened them. When looking for the smell I had a huge chunk of something gross (lost fish, gob of plant matter, just a nasty dead bits booger?) That just reaked of it. Was a weird one off in some fine sponge that I'd probably placed wrong to begin with and quite a long time ago...

Basically if you haven't recently done a wc I've no ideas as that's the only time I've had it come up.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting. This tank is fairly well planted, so I shouldn't have anaerobic zones, but it's possible. Haven't done any big water changes lately or used any prime. The filter dead zone/gunk is a possibility. I'll look into it. Thanks!
    T

Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 94957585960 LastLast