· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 84856575859 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Hello there Tom!

I haven't really been on here much for the past half year or more. Ever since the new server/website went online my computer has never been happy with the site. Lots of times the forum isn't updated and nothing ever shows in the "New Posts" tab for me anymore, so I got frustrated and visited the site less and less, especially when my own interest in the hobby subsided there for a while.

Just watched the last vid you posted a little while back and the tank looks amazing. Even to a colorblind fool like myself it is an explosion of beautiful colors. I know you've had a hell of a time with this tank over the last couple of years and put in a lot of work to resolve multiple issues. Good job, man!

I'm not a pro with substrates but noticed you folks were starting a discussion that I have seen multiple times on FB between large groups of hobbyists. I used the Black Diamond blasting sand (medium 20/40 grit) for a very long time in older tanks that had both regular cories as well as pygmies. I never had problems with any of them and neither have the majority of folks I've seen on the forums and FB. The blasting sand is indeed coarse when you or I pick it up and rub it in our hands or between our fingers, but cories aren't big strong humans that are grinding the substrate between big beefy fingers that are generating many PSI of pressure. It is going to be very difficult for a delicate creature that only weighs a few grams to impart enough friction against something to sand its flesh away.

You also noted that you've had them for years and the issue only popped up recently. That's another strike against the coarseness of the sand being the culprit.

My knee-jerk reaction is water quality or dirty substrate, but I would expect other animals in the tank exhibiting symptoms, as well. If everything else in the tank is happy and without injury I wonder if the cories are being harassed by someone else in the tank. That or the diet thing, although cories are pretty persistent and resourceful scavengers that shouldn't really be having a hard time finding food in the sand. Maybe if you kept your sand immaculate after all these years and clean as they day you put it in, but a seasoned/established tank is going to have all sorts of goodies for the cories to find in the sand.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    The plot thickens. I was in at the office today to check on the new temp controller. The gals at the office told me they've seen five of the brochis at a time. And I saw one that looked absolutely perfect--perfect color, perfect barbels and fins. The others look like death warmed over. What the heck???

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Hello there Tom!

I haven't really been on here much for the past half year or more. Ever since the new server/website went online my computer has never been happy with the site. Lots of times the forum isn't updated and nothing ever shows in the "New Posts" tab for me anymore, so I got frustrated and visited the site less and less, especially when my own interest in the hobby subsided there for a while.
    Same here :( Still waiting for new site but losing hope. It's very frustrating not to be able to use the forum. I really think that's a reason for the lack of activity here.

Sorry Tom, I still can only think of something bacterial in the substrate. It's true that nitrates don't build up in a well planted dirted tank, but it's still important to remove substrate mulm via siphoning. Also so many other reasons for water changes besides nitrAte control. Not trying to scold, just saying. I know how difficult it is for you to maintain a tank that is not your own.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 06-13-2019 at 06:17 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    It's true that nitrates don't build up in a well planted dirted tank, but it's still important to remove substrate mulm via siphoning.
    +1

The argument can be made that nitrates in the water column aren't building up, but that does not mean they aren't trapped elsewhere in the tank. If you never clean the substrate then it is possible it has become a nitrate pit that is making the cories sick as they jam their faces into it. What relatively small amounts leach out into the water column could be diluted and/or consumed enough to not register on regular parameter tests. I want to make connections between Tom's current problem and the one I had a couple years back with my caridina tank. My shrimp were all berried but I was not seeing a single shrimplet for a good month or two after setting up the tank. All tests came back with zero detectable compounds. When I approached breeders and vendors to help me troubleshoot, they told me that the most likely cause was that the Aquasoil I used. They claimed the ammonia was quickly being processed by the plants and filtration, so that nothing was coming up on my tests, but that it was most likely concentrated enough down at the substrate that it was making the animals sick and any new shrimplets were simply dying immediately. It made a bit of sense when they first suggested it to me, but then really hit home when about 6 weeks later I had an explosion of shrimplets in the tank, which just happened to jive with the claim that it takes 4-6 weeks for Aquasoil to stop leaching out ammonia.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    Interesting. I wish there were some way to test if that's what's really happening. I do try to keep the mulm siphoned off, but with so many plants and so much hardscape in this tank it's hard to get it all. It is actually WAY better since I got rid of the hoplo cats--those things were serious excavators, and there was always silt all over everything. Now it's just a normal accumulation. Another weird thing: The silt/mulm only builds up on the left side of the tank; never on the right.

Anyway. I might try putting the powerhead back in to increase water circulation to the lower parts of the tank. The filter keeps the water moving really well, but with all the 'scape in here, it's possible that I have some dead zones where bad stuff is building up.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I like that idea :) Silt and mulm gets pushed to one corner in my large tanks with canister filters. I think it's normal. In both my tanks, it accumulates in the back left corner under the filter spraybar. My spraybars are both situated on the left side.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So, I vacuumed out a bit of mulm on the left side--there wasn't much, and none anywhere else. I installed a powerhead at the front left corner, pointed toward the back right. Hopefully that will stir up the bottom a bit, puch mulm toward the filter, and eliminate any dead spots. I ordered 10 zebra loaches, and I'm thinking about reducing that to 6 since I have a few more cories than I thought, and they just might make it...but I don't think fifteen peaceful bottom feeders is too many in a 150g. What say you?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    I don't think there's a problem with that stocking at all.

Hope the water churning experiment works out for you, good luck
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Well, I put a powerhead in the front left corner, pointing diagonally through the tank, hoping it would eliminate any dead spots. I went in to check yesterday, and four of the cories were out in the open, treading water right in front of the powerhead, looking more active and more colorful than I've seen them in months. I think Boof and AC were right on the money!

T

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Great news!
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 84856575859 LastLast