· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish. - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    First time i see this tank. What a stunner, love the rainbow fish!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    What an absolutely stunning tank, great job Tom and I am so glad everything has been going well for a couple/few weeks now. Its the best way to enjoy your tank. BTW the dentist office is super lucky to have you and that gorgeous tank!

Glad I can see new posts temporarily so I can comment on this, lol.
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    I haven't been able to get over to this tank since I hurt myself two weeks ago. The ladies at the office say it looks great. That's one thing I love about semi-low-tech planted tanks. They really can run themselves and stay healthy for quite a long time with very little intervention.

Still, it's been in the back of my mind, I guess. Last night I dreamed that I finally got in there, and a random customer had decided, on her own initiative, to drain the tank and "clean it." The tank was completely empty, the fish were crowded in the 10g qt tank, and the plants and substrate were nowhere to be seen. And perhaps worst of all, this person had found the hoplo cats and brought them back! I was dismayed.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Got in tonight to work on the tank a bit. Ammonia and nitrites 0, nitrates c. 10 ppm, hardness around 15deg. Couple questions:

1. The emerald cories are doing poorly. It's hard to tell for sure with all the scaping, but it's been several weeks since I've seen more than three of them (out of the original eight). The three I saw tonight look very poor: Barbels and fins eroded. Params are good, so I'm confused, and I don't want to replace them until I figure out what's going on. Any ideas?

2. The temp controller is dead. Don't know when it happened. The office stays at 65-72, and water temp is at 72F, so it isn't a crisis, but I need to get it replaced pretty quick. I've never bought a heater for a tank this big. What kind of heater(s) and controller do I need to keep a 150g at 75 in these conditions?

Thanks!
    T

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Disregard the second question. Just ordered a new temp controller. Still wondering about the catfish, though.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Idk, but when did you get the cories? Did you QT them?

I keep thinking bacterial or rough substrate. But I'd think bacterial more if they were new.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    What's the substrate? It looks like sand in the video but some sands are somewhat harsh. I've heard mixed opinions on if that affects their barbells though....

My other thought on the cories is diet. Because rainbows are fairly aggressive eaters are you certain that they aren't being left to scavenge only? They're not going to get into the middle of the hustle bustle of a feeding frenzy. Is it possible to have them direct fed through a tube or something that would place their food directly onto the bottom or somewhere that the other fish aren't going to steal it while feeding everyone else? I know it's a client tank so its not exactly something you can manage but I can honestly say that poorly formulated foods and improper foods do in fact make a huge difference, I'm certain that if cories were left only to scrounge leftovers that they would fare poorly and I'd assume very similar symptoms to what you've described. Improper diet, generally in my experience, seems to cause more health issues that can't be explained and not really a sunken or thin appearance. Large fish I've seen present form differences quickly when fed an improper diet but I generally find smaller fish under about 3" don't really show any form differences until its very very late in the malnutrition game, usually too late.

I could be way off base, but I'd recommend giving some direct feeding with a quality sinking pellet a try since after lights out is a very unlikely option given circumstance.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Idk, but when did you get the cories? Did you QT them?

I keep thinking bacterial or rough substrate. But I'd think bacterial more if they were new.
    Good questions. I got the cories almost two years ago. Didn't notice problems with them this past winter. I haven't introduce any new fish to the tank since I put in the panda garra, which was...late last summer or early fall, maybe?

The substrate is black blasting sand. It is pretty rough. But they did fine with it until a few months ago (and the panda cories in my SA tank continue to do fine with it).
    @sfsamm, you might be onto something. I wonder if they just aren't getting enough food. We're feeding a high-quality diet, but these rainbows are PIGS, and sometimes it takes a bit of trickery to get the sinking pellets to the bottom. Maybe I need a more active bottom feeder that will give the rainbows a run for their money? I'm thinking about trying some zebra loaches.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    @WhistlingBadger synodontis in a group are fairly efficient and could easily hold their own in that tank.the syno petricola and syno nivingritis both get a bit larger than cories but stay around 3-5 inches 5 inches for either would be exceptional but not unheard of.

Skunk loach and Dario loach would both be worth looking into as well. All the synos and loaches I mentioned would be similarly sized and fed as those that your already considering and any in a decent size group would be much more active and entertaining than a group of 3-4, I'd recommend 5 minimum to get good social behaviors and activities.

Btw I didn't try to find proper spelling o. The synos but it should be pretty close.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Decided to get ten zebra loaches. Also a few threadfin rainbows (to replace the feeder guppies that are slowly dying of old age, having VASTLY exceeded expectations!), and a few red Irians to replace the ones that died in the Great Excel Holocaust last year.

Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast