· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

4 Not allowed!
    A couple of major developments for the Rainbow Tank:

I FINALLY caught the outlaw hoplo!!!! WOO HOOOOO! It was kind of anti climatic. I went over tonight after dark, turned on the lights, and there it was. It immediately hid in the amazon swords--they do this weird thing where they get in between the leaves and the wall of the tank and sit there, vertically, face up. I couldn't get the net close to it through all those AS stems, so I parked the net about six inches behind it, and gently tapped the glass. After all the chasing, traps, and frustration, it turned around and swam right into the net! ha ha ha ha

So, now we find out whether that's what was doing the digging. BTW, I don't know if I ever explained why I'm convinced that the problem really was digging. The black stuff only appears on horizontal-ish surfaces--never on the glass. And most importantly, I can see flecks of sand sparkling in it. Kind of a tip off, there. :)

Second, I added two table spoons of rid-x powder, dissolved in about a quart of R/O water. Hopefully that will start digesting the gunk on the plant leaves. @Rocksor and @angelcraze2, how long should I expect to wait before I can see the little beasties working their magic? I am very excited at the prospect of this tank being clean and beautiful again.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

3 Not allowed!
    It might after 2-3 weeks of weekly dosing 2-3 doses) I know that I notice a difference in my canister tubes when I do and don't.

If the water is hazy for 2 or more days then lower the dosage.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Yay! I'm so happy you caught that little punk! I'm sure he was the root cause of your problems. I will be continuing to use probiotics in my tanks. It helped clean up after Josh overfed my 120g AGAIN! I even saw a bit of cyano at the substate and glass when I came home, it is not a problem anymore! Love probiotics to help with maintenance!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    OK, this is bad: I went in Sunday, cleaned everything really good, and removed a LOT of greenery that was too gunked up to clean. Even vacuumed the sand that I could reach really good. Went in this morning to add some pro-biotic, and guess what. Everything is all gunked up again. Not quite as bad, perhaps, but definitely gunked up.

Sooooo...back to square one? Could it be the brochis? Or is something completely different going on?

I'll try to get some good pics/video of this stuff soon. Wow. These challenges do make our hobby interesting, don't they???

T

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Brown algae (diatoms), perhaps?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you need moonlight LED above the tank and a video recorder to see who the culprit is

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Brown algae (diatoms), perhaps?
    No, it isn't diatoms. It's like dirt. Really sticky, gunky dirt.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Weird,with the gunk. I get gunk/mulm from the plecos destroying wood, but its not sticky. I like Rocksor's idea of moonlight and surveillance.
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I get that stuff sometimes on my plants. Is it almost a gelatinous black brown crud that rolls into a ball you can easily remove? It has no odor that I can discern, but I assume it's some kind of algae. I get lots of debris in my fully dirted 90g (with some deep dirt beds), it tends to get stuck mostly in the bolbitis right in front of the filter output. It's not the gelatinous stuff, but dirt and wood pieces from the plecos rubbishing about the bottom. If I don't clean it often, BBA will start to accumulate there. Not sure about the slime though.

Have you been keeping up with probiotics?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Me or Tom?

I haven't been, I don't know why. I really should as they would help out. Got to put it on the list for this weekend, after the WC and filter cleanings are done.
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast