· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For hanging out on a lazy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the rep!  This is going to be fun! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the "gpld star". - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    I really need to educate myself in the intricacies of water hardness measuring and what it means to fish and inverts. There seem to be at least two different ways to measure it, and some nuances I don't have my head around yet.
    It's common problem to those new to keeping harder water species. Method and consistency of measurement is a challenge as well. But you'll figure it out Tom.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    I'm sure you will too Tom. I'm certainly not a pro on hardwater fish, but I just wanted to let you know, that when I was aiming for a kh of 4 (which is the desired kh level to be just consistent), I kept the crushed coral in the filter until it dissolved and replaced it with more. With a small amount, about a tbsp for 120 gallons, the kh stayed consistently at 4° when my tap water is 2°. When I remove the crushed coral or let it dissolve away, the kh will fall, as you've discovered as well. Hope you figure it out soon Tom, the water is pretty soft at the moment.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the friend request and congrats on the new pond! - Silbar   I'm sorry you lost a loach and thanks for the rep. - Silbar   An angel for your future tank...power of positive thinking! - Silbar   Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Alllllllrighty, then. I did some reading on hardness and rainbow fish. According to the Seriouslyfish Oracle, it looks like I need about 10-20 dH, which translates roughly to 150-300 ppm. So, it would seem that my water is indeed waaaaaaaaaaaay too soft, and that might be the source of stress.

Added about 3/4 cup of oyster grit to the filter today, which should raise the hardness gradually. I will check tomorrow, and again when I go in Tuesday, to see that it's coming up properly.

Decided to go ahead and treat with antibiotics again, though I hate too and the advice given here is well-taken. The trouble is that, in my experience, once this stuff takes hold, it doesn't go away on its own even in ideal conditions. Hopefully this will knock it out, and improved water chemistry will keep it out.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the friend request and congrats on the new pond! - Silbar   I'm sorry you lost a loach and thanks for the rep. - Silbar   An angel for your future tank...power of positive thinking! - Silbar   Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    And now, off to saw up the winter's firewood while the nice weather lasts. Have a lovely weekend, everybody!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    OK, just checked again. Hardness is slowly coming up. GH is 60 ppm, and KH is 50. Headed the right direction, at least...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Great to hear :) I'm glad the hardness is coming up slowly. I have a good feeling improving the water params for the fish will help them combat this sickness. Definitely heading in the right direction!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Well, this is a bit discouraging.

I was out of town most of last week. Stopped by the office today for the first time since last Tuesday. The mouth crud is still there, visible on about 8 of the fish now. I'm afraid, at this point, all I can do is try to keep water quality good and let it run its course. I am not completely surprised by this, but it is still a bummer. I'm afraid I've either created or just been hit with a resistant strain of this crud, and I am beginning to think that the population of this tank is going to be mighty small before this is all over.

Hardness is still coming up. GH is now around 80-90 ppm; KH 65-70. Should be about where we need to be in another week or two. pH is right around 7.

The water looked a bit cloudy, so on a whim I stuck in a test strip (having only brought my test regents for GH, KH, pH, and Ammonia), and it is showing nitrate around 30 ppm, and niTRITE around 2!!! GAAAAAA, where did THAT come from? The only time this tank has ever shown nitrites was when the driftwood broke loose and stirred up the substrate. Ammonia is 0. While scraping the walls, I noticed quite a lot of uneaten food floating around. Hopefully that is all it is. I know the BBA in the filter probably got mostly wiped out by the antibiotics, but the plants are growing like mad and really should be taking care of it.

So, I had a chat with the office ladies and asked them to diminish the feedings. They had been putting in quite a bit more than I told them to, the fish act so hungry and they're so cute and yada yada yada. I get it. But man....

On the plus side, the tank looks beautiful. I am really, really pleased with the way things look, and so are the clients (and their customers). The plants are growing beautifully, and the hardscape is starting to really look natural. We really need some shrimp in there to keep the leaves clear of debris, but I'm reluctant to order any more stock until things level out.

So, there we are...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    Well, this is a bit discouraging.

I was out of town most of last week. Stopped by the office today for the first time since last Tuesday. The mouth crud is still there, visible on about 8 of the fish now. I'm afraid, at this point, all I can do is try to keep water quality good and let it run its course. I am not completely surprised by this, but it is still a bummer. I'm afraid I've either created or just been hit with a resistant strain of this crud, and I am beginning to think that the population of this tank is going to be mighty small before this is all over.

Hardness is still coming up. GH is now around 80-90 ppm; KH 65-70. Should be about where we need to be in another week or two. pH is right around 7.

The water looked a bit cloudy, so on a whim I stuck in a test strip (having only brought my test regents for GH, KH, pH, and Ammonia), and it is showing nitrate around 30 ppm, and niTRITE around 2!!! GAAAAAA, where did THAT come from? The only time this tank has ever shown nitrites was when the driftwood broke loose and stirred up the substrate. Ammonia is 0. While scraping the walls, I noticed quite a lot of uneaten food floating around. Hopefully that is all it is. I know the BBA in the filter probably got mostly wiped out by the antibiotics, but the plants are growing like mad and really should be taking care of it.

So, I had a chat with the office ladies and asked them to diminish the feedings. `

On the plus side, the tank looks beautiful. I am really, really pleased with the way things look, and so are the clients (and their customers). The plants are growing beautifully, and the hardscape is starting to really look natural. We really need some shrimp in there to keep the leaves clear of debris, but I'm reluctant to order any more stock until things level out.

So, there we are...
    Per the above in red, my guess is a mini cycle from significant overfeeding.

I've never used strips for testing, I'd get a liquid test kit reading on the tank as soon as you can.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 11-15-2017 at 02:38 AM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

2 Not allowed!
    you need to get them to buy a digital scale ,and have them only feed the fish that amount. They should also get a whiteboard to track who feeds the fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    OK. As of this morning:

TDS 373 ppm
    Nitrate: 20 ppm
    NItrite: 2-3 ppm (it is REALLY hard to me to read the Nitrite scale in the API kit. 2 and 5 look almost identical to me)
    Hardness: still around 90 gh and 70 kh.
    Columnaris: Still there.

I am inclined to do a big water change, but that would make the hardness all wrong again.
    @Rocksor, I like the white board idea. Might have to do that. I did give them a modified feeding schedule.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast