· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Shrimplets I was seeing until recently were pretty transparent, little red in them but the past few days they seem to be coming out more and have grown quite a bit and colored up some. All I have found have a decent amount of red in them.

I also just recently read the the CPDs in the tank are probably snacking on my shrimplets! Yikes, not part of my plan lol so eventually I guess they will go to the Danios tank to hide with my others... Maybe a few more will help the others come out as these four are pretty active.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    And I have a new hatch of shrimplets today. Teeny little things again! Two saddled females and two berried one which should hatch pretty quick. These RCS sure don't waste any time multiplying! Might not be such a terrible thing that as I'm getting this all figured out that the CPDs may be performing some population control. All said I'm very glad that they are happy and healthy! I was pretty worried starting this adventure that I'd flop pretty hard on my first attempt.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Lucky! I'm still waiting for my juvie crystals to get old enough to breed.

That's some interesting growth you have on that rock. If this wasn't a freshwater tank I would have thought it was a type of coral. Do the shrimp eat it?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    That's some interesting growth you have on that rock. If this wasn't a freshwater tank I would have thought it was a type of coral. Do the shrimp eat it?
    I really wanted crystals but no way would they even have a chance in my water, and I just won't go RO. I'm jealous lol

And yes, the shrimp eat whatever the green stuff is. I thought algae till it started getting those nodules. Today I finally reached in and touched it, it's hard, so I scraped it and it broke off like a coral, the whole little node. Doesn't seem to harm anything, only grows on that rock and their mineral stone and they love picking at it. And it grows super slowly so since it doesn't bother anyone or get on my glass I just have been leaving it.

Any ideas what it might be I'd love to know. Excel doesn't phase it, I use root tabs and flourite black sand base but I have similar setups for plants in most my tanks. Even some of the same batch of stone in other tanks lol its the only tank that has it.

One other thought, this tank had a case of diatoms that I couldn't get rid of for anything including gutting it multiple times and even starting over with filter media at one point. It's actually why I finally decided to try shrimp lol so maybe it's something related just not as unsightly, I actually think it looks kinda neat. Grows only on the brightest parts of the stone and mineral rock too.
    Last edited by sfsamm; 07-05-2017 at 09:43 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Such a strange growth. Never saw anything like that before. Maybe post some photos of it up in the algae sub-forum and ask for an I.D. on it. Someone else may have seen it. It's really cool, whatever it is!

Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    I really wanted crystals but no way would they even have a chance in my water, and I just won't go RO. I'm jealous lol
    I had been using gallons of distilled water ($0.88/gallon) from the store. Got old real quick. Mailman dropped this little guy off this morning and I'm stoked to try it out. Was about $70 and some change for tax via Amazon Prime.

sdfffffffffffffff.jpg

Considering it's for such a small (10g) tank, I shouldn't have to start replacing the cartridges for well over a year, and they're only $6-7.

I put off crystals for a good two years because I was concerned about the whole water quality issue. I'm glad I finally decided to attempt to keep them. I actually enjoy the tank because it is something I can tinker with and I feel more hands-on with it. The shrimp are actually gorgeous. Way more attractive than a lot of their photos. I'm going nuts over here waiting for them to start breeding haha

I'm no seasoned veteran at raising crystals, but I've done a ton of research and feel I've got a pretty good handle on them. If you ever decide to give them a shot, feel free to shoot me a message and I'll be happy to share my experiences to help you with mineralizing the water and stuff.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @BluewaterBoof well if my RCS experience goes well I just might venture into them. I'm hoping to get a good colony and continue improving these guys and possibly sell culls to the lfs as they don't get them here because of water discrepancies and mortality. Or at least maybe sell through them. If I did well enough in it I'd definitely venture into other shrimp. At least for myself lol I really enjoy them so far.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, they're definitely amazing critters. There are different color morphs of neocaridina (red cherries), so even if you want to stay with neos you can still get some amazing colors without having to give up the easy maintenance of red cherries.

I thought about trying to cull my RCS colonies and breed some stronger lines with good colors, but I don't have the patience for trying to snatch individual shrimp from a tank haha I'm sure there's a trick to it that makes it easy.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    I thought about trying to cull my RCS colonies and breed some stronger lines with good colors, but I don't have the patience for trying to snatch individual shrimp from a tank haha I'm sure there's a trick to it that makes it easy.
    That is the part I'm not exactly looking forward to learning lol. They are quick and disappear like lighting! I am looking at what's worked for others as there's got to be an efficient way to do it. I have an idea for the cull tank though so if someone colors up nicely it shouldn't be too difficult to get them back to the breeding tank. But it not exactly the tank design I'd want on display. We shall see it's not like I'm rushing under a deadline they are free to do shrimp things and in the mean time I'm bringing my culls to my sister... If I ever catch them lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Was able to capture some of the shrimp babies today, the first hatch is really getting out and about. And I'm absolutely certain that this isn't my best attempt to video lol I was looking for the shrimps in the tank while trying to video. Anyway here's my jankey video! I have one coloring up that looks a bit orangey compared to the others, I'll be stoked if I threw an orange on my first hatch. My sister is dying to have some orange ones. Lol although I'm not usually that lucky I'm sure he's just a bit paler than the others yet still red.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    I came home from work this morning and immediately spied one of my amanos heavily berried now too. I know there's no odds for survival in freshwater but it was still an exciting development! She wasn't loaded yesterday, and it's super obvious, much more so than with the cherries. I'll get some photos later. Had to basically get home and then take my sister to a Dr appointment first thing too... Apparently it's babies everywhere! Platy, RCS, Assassins, Amanos and my sister too now that it's finally officially! Very exciting news for the family with her finally going public today... Now to try to get a couple hours of sleep before another 12 hour shift, after such an exciting morning!

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast