· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   AC's defender from spammers! - Boundava   Thanks for the rep and support - Silbar   Happy Anniversary! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    So, what do you do with the "culls"?

Those are the ones you sell to your LFS?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    Just mesmerized by these guys this morning, I haven't moved anyone out in about 10 days. Busy shrimps this morning for sure!

Lots of fellas getting lucky! Nice tank! I love how full and healthy that crypt is.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    So, what do you do with the "culls"?

Those are the ones you sell to your LFS?
    I have stocked both my sisters up with large colonies and another tank of mine with some lower grade ones, plus the grow up tank is getting stuffed too. A few wild types have taken a dip in the Congo tank which has made the ctenopomas much more interested in what I'm doing when I walk towards the tank lol they used to hide now they follow me lol.

But the ones that are definitely red but not great red or are pale are the ones I'm planning to sell off at the lfs. Hopefully I'll keep getting good fire reds, and painted fire reds and if that's the case I'm hoping to be able to sell them on my own. First need to get all my babies together, sort through breeding age ones and rearrange and hopefully up the 9 in the display/breeding tank for another 5-8 females and at least one more male.

I'm sure I'll have some good ones grow up in the next few weeks and I'll let you know for sure! Would be nice to send off a few as a test shipment just to see if I can pull it off without killing all the shrimp!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    BTW I forgot to mention you were right! Two big momma molts turned up by this morning!
    OMG that's a lot of shrimp. I was just thinking, someone's molting! All the males go bonkers hahaha! Super nice big crypt wendtii :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Lots of fellas getting lucky! Nice tank! I love how full and healthy that crypt is.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    OMG that's a lot of shrimp. I was just thinking, someone's molting! All the males go bonkers hahaha! Super nice big crypt wendtii :)
    Thanks! That was my crypt that kinda just stopped on me a while back. It's apparently happy again and I'm glad it's my favorite plant and was my first crypt success. Crypts hated me where I used to live lol they do much better here :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    I envy your crypt ;) They are touch and go for me, most of the time they don't really take in my tanks for some reason? Is not like my tanks are changing with parameters....but they either melt or just sit there, except for a few.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   So very sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Happy Easter - Silbar   Because you always have an encouraging and kind word for everyone - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Would be nice to send off a few as a test shipment just to see if I can pull it off without killing all the shrimp!
    I'm sure you would do just fine with your shipping. You obviously care for the wellbeing of your critters, are willing to both think through the entire process and research methods to give better success probability.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    My lovely RCS.... They have been troublesome lately, I picked up some guava leaves for the shrimps as they have some additional benefits and were said to last longer than IAL. I'd also picked up Mulberry leaves for similar reasons but not long lasting.

Shrimp LOVE the Mulberry, they annihilate a leaf in about two days, before it even sinks lol and the little leaf skeleton gets munched to nothing by the end of the week usually too.

Guava... Well I'm undecided. I've definitely had larger hatches and hugely berried females when they are carrying and I'm fairly confident that they are also making it to juvenile (to soon to judge adult success) and first breeding age. But it mucks up the tank, its not just tinted, well it is but it's also cloudy. The guava seems to last forever too, and I'm not sure that the shrimp necessarily even eat off it. I've dropped one leaf in my display tank and a month later it's still there... And so are the floating organics that appeared within days of adding it.... And the size of the water change weekly doesn't matter, within a couple days it's back. Filter is great, substrate is clear and still floating tiny particles persist, guava left today. Also, the seed shrimp and planaria have taken off. I'm planning a Panacur dose since the planaria have multiplied. Previously I'd maybe see one once in a while, today after tank cleaning I saw several, like 12.... I wish Panacur desolved better, dosing a 5 gallon tank is going to be tremendous fun. My other tanks though haven't suffered the floating organics from it though, maybe because there's additional stock in the tanks that take care of that debris before its free floating? Regardless, the random planaria is now a problem and I really don't want them to start getting my shrimp.

I guess it's not troublesome, it's just been less than ideal lately and now I have to dose it up lol. But, that crypt, it sure is lovely! It's throwing off runners that are really starting to go behind the driftwood there.

I'm thinking about pulling the driftwood and maybe the stone from the tank. Just going with the crypt and pulling all my fissidens and working out a carpet from it. But I've never been happy with any scape in this tank no matter what I do with it betta, shrimp, just plants I'm always disappointed when it starts filling in. I love the fissidens though and fairly confident that I have grown out enough to carpet with it at least a significant portion of the tank and that crypt unless it starts dying from out growing the tank I don't plan to move it, it's probably my favorite plant ever - almost earned itself a name kind of favorite. :)

What do you guys think? With only the crypt and Fissidens what's going to look best in this tank? Too much in it now that the crypt is throwing runners and Fissidens is filling out.... What would you guys do? I want to declutter it but making that carpet will be a commitment to the final design which maybe won't look like I want... I don't ever have "that vision" for this tank that works out.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   AC's defender from spammers! - Boundava   Thanks for the rep and support - Silbar   Happy Anniversary! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, that's alot of RCS...congrats on the happy healthy colony

Me personally, I'd leave things the way they are, and re-assess what you want to do in a few months
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    @Slaphppy7 that's not many really, not counting tiny babies just colored up shrimp probably around 80.

My former emergency holding tank, turned cull tank, turned CPD grow up tank, turned jungle that I kind of adore other than maintaining it with fry has an ungodly amount of RCS lol apparently they thrive just as well on fry foods as high quality shrimp foods.... It has a huge pest snail population and four (I think) assassins that I am starting to think are lazy plus 7 Amanos and 13 colored fourteen (I think) week old CPDs. And this week I surpassed 20 ppm nitrAtes for the first time meaning twice weekly changes now until my sister is ready for her baby fishes.

No scape critiques here lmao I don't have any idea what's going on in this tank, I started with trimmings and what I otherwise would have tossed from other plants and about a half golf ball size trim of Christmas Moss and, well....

Oh and the cat... She wasn't cooperative with my photo request. :)

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast