· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    So the RCS project has been divided up into three tanks lol

Display tank, all my beauties and a million babies that are starting to get big enough for attempting to pull the ones that are obviously not great quality. Also has three surprise CPD fry that came in on a plant I'm guessing from the Amano tank where the adults were. They can eat powdered flakes now so when I start pulling shrimplets they will move to the Amano tank to grow some more.

Amano tank, it's serving as a medium for a couple projects until I start trying to breed the Amanos. Namely housing decent culls from RCS and raising CPDs. I had 7 fry turn up last week and was very excited as the adults previously hadn't been eating them that I knew of once they were swimmers. Well the adults had a baby banquet one day SOOOooo they're out after a big action spawn yesterday and this morning.

The Danio tank. Poor things had a rough summer went from 16 to four. They were suiciding when temps were too high and then I had one just kick off randomly and was down to seven. Then I made the mistake of putting them in the Congo tank and learned ctenopomas will attempt to eat and ultimately mutilate and kill while spitting them back out and was down to four. Two trips to the lfs and they had none to replace them so I picked up a couple male "endlers" which I'm completely convinced are crosses with standard guppies due their size and colors but they are pretty little guys and the danios enjoy them they all hang together. Now my three CPD adults are in with that crowd as of today. This tank also has the lowest grade RCS. Had a few regular old cherries almost completely wild type in appearance so they are in here too and out of the 11 I put in I can find 8-9 at any given time for the past week so it appears that the fish aren't going to eat them.

The amano tank has the spawning mop and I'll see what I get out of it this next week or 10 days. If it's only one or two I'll separate the CPDs a few days then put them back into spawn for an evening and morning and remove them again for a week or so. Want to get numbers of fry up a bit for a school for myself and my sister and eating babies is going to make this take longer than I want to wait lol I want to wrap it up by around Christmas (even if I'm still growing fry then, I'd like to have the numbers) as in the brutal cold of January and February I plan to get around to the Amano project and need that tank back lol.

CPD permanent home will be the danio tank for whatever I keep the rest are my sisters.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    So yesterday morning I found 3 fry in the Amano tank and today is four! Hopefully I will see a few more turn up in the next couple days! Let them age up a week or 10 days then do another round with parents. Since the shrimp tanks are the same temp as the danios tank I'm may separate my female CPD to the RCS tank for her few days of segregation before putting them together in the Amano tank. The RCS tank has been inundated with seed shrimp and not having any predators they are getting annoying. Hopefully she'll knock the population down a bit.... I do believe that I caused it though trying to pin down what the CPD fry eat though I'm 100% confident the tank was over fed while I worked it out. It was more controlled as I didn't have parents around stealing food and could really see if the fry were eating and what. Now that I have that all pinned down though I'll have to get seed shrimp manageable lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle - Slaphppy7   Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Great job researching the plant weights. - Silbar   Have a tetra for all your hard work ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on your new Corys! - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    I tried cucumber, carrots and several varieties of squash including zucchini and peas and all are completely snubbed they actively avoided the peas like they're poison lol the rest they checked out and moved on. Amanos love cucumber squash and carrots. I rarely have lettuce from the store as I used to grow my own and store bought tastes funky and Costco is too far lol they have good stuff. But they also snubbed any shrimp food I ever tried but they will occasionally nibble fish flakes. I'm glad to have found something for them that they like I won't feel like even though they are prolifically breeding that I'm somehow starving them if I can give them something like once a week lol

And that rock, it's algae lol no idea what kind, it goes in spurts where it is all looking like Iceland with short growth that will move with the current to almost looking like little coral nubs of some sort its bizzare but I like it lol if I could get it to grow on the glass I'd be thrilled lol sadly though it only likes that rock and only in that tank. Other rocks from the same place don't grow it. I'd welcome that algae anywhere but on my plants lol its pretty. :)

Hi. My amanos love cucumber, pears, peaches and tangerines. Grapes were a no go. I crosshatch cut all one side with the skin still on the other, and small it around a bit, then turn it the other side out. They don't have to wait for it to soften as much, or work as hard.

My amonos also like the community Repashi, as do the Bronze Corys. Does anyone know if there's a Repashi mix that Tetras will like? The Grub Pie looks like it's for reptiles.

Yikes I'm off to the first meetup of Las Vegas fish peeps... I'm kind of nervous, LOL. I did finally get a nice phone so I took some nice photos of my tank to show around. I'll post soon!
    Last edited by jana; 09-28-2017 at 01:21 AM.
    ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~

29g planted freshwater tank
    AC70 HOB
    Satellite Pro LED 24-36 20W 20-LEDs (14-6500K 6-RGBW)
    Tahitian Moon Sand w/some Flourite

STOCK LIST:
    8 Bloodfin Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    10 Amano Shrimp
    5 Dream Blue Velvet Shrimp
    5 Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp
    10 Assassin Snails

Planted 29g journal

BUCKETS

"Mulder, where are you?"
    "Hey, lesson here, Bey. You come at the king, you best not miss."
    "If it sounds like a fact, it is a fact."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hey! Never thought to try pears or peaches, I have a nectarine tree and a pear tree in the yard! My pears are young and I got 7 this year and they are still gritty from being young I'll try them with the Amanos! They will probably enjoy them, I've never thought to try fruit.

I'm. Looking for a new flake too, I got side tracked into fish food contents a while back and found that fluval stuff is still in the high end for unnecessary fillers. All my fish seem to love it and thrive on it but I'm considering figuring out something better for them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Found an answer to my question about the legs and varying legs coloration... Seems it does matter, it seemed to be a mild indicator in some of them as to grade but others were the same except leg variations, at least to my eyes!

http://www.planetinverts.com/FireRedShrimp.html

Now to find something about those crazy blue eyes! :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    So I took a quick video today of my CPD fry from the Amano tank. Forgive me this tank has about zero esthetic appeal lol. I had my leak in the RCS display tank shortly after setting it up and found a fry in the transfer. After that I walked on eggshells a while and mostly figured out how to raise them up. Now I have taken the steps to actually grow a batch out and so far I'm doing leaps and bounds better than I'd anticipated. I lost one to some hydra before I could treat the tank but since killing the hydra it seems the fry have come out in force. I was happy trying to get 4-5 to age as over the past few months I've had some random survivors and have 5 coloring up. Now today I'm fairly confident that I have at least 18 fry!!! Buckets more than I thought I was going to have. Very exciting for me. Going to be giving them a couple weeks or a month and then actually going to try another breeding attempt in proper form with the adults. If I somehow manage to get too many for my sister and I my lfs is very interested in getting some so there's a solid backup plan.

Here's a video of the swimmers today though, they are SOOOooo hard to count!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    oh look at the little guys/gals, so neat! What are the water conditions in the tank? I had some CPD but they didn't do well for me, I may give them another try in my 20L but as a single species tank so that I can get them to thrive.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    pH 8, kH 10, gH 15
    Temp 72-74.
    10 gallon with sponge filters
    Bunch of crypts, I think some pennywort might still be around, Christmas moss and a runner from an Indian sword. Substrate was literally the last bits of a couple bags, some stratum, a inert fine sand and some Caribsea stuff.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the fry, how cool is that?

I had CPD's too, but they didn't do well, either...I don't think they liked the tall 29G, hid alot.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Congrats on the fry, how cool is that?

I had CPD's too, but they didn't do well, either...I don't think they liked the tall 29G, hid alot.
    There's more than 18 this morning I caught them sleeping when I flicked the lights on... Definitely more than 18. I'm thinking 30ish, I'm not even going to strain my eyes to try lol

My adults hid a lot and I was nervous to put them in the 20 but since I was down to four zebras, I had read but didn't really take to heart, that endlers had a way of making them more confident.... The adults are all over in there with the endlers and remaining zebras. Super confident and use the whole tank. Zip around and play in the filter current and everything, very confident with them lol. Just takes the right tank mates I think to get them to really shine.

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast