· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

Default Shrimp Adventures

3 Not allowed!
    After keeping fish on and off for over 25 years. I decided to try a shrimp tank. It's a Fluval Spec V and has been used for many things and been through many renovations over the past several months. It went through a major disaster with shrimp and CPDs when I first took on this shrimp adventure and now things have settled. I really have no idea how many shrimp are in it, there are currently Amanos, Sakura Fire Cherries and 4 CPDs. I have three berried females and the smallest one dropped about half her eggs. She's much smaller than the other two though so my guess after researching is it is probably her first batch of eggs. The other two are holding tons of them and one should be (maybe already has in the past couple days but I can't find them) hatching hers soon. As of right now the tank looks like this. Today I will be doing a water change and putting the Anacharis in the tub so I can try my hand at a couple shorter carpet like plants as I truly do not care for Anacharis. I'll go through the Anacharis for fry and if I'm not convinced I'll be adding it back to the tank. It does provide another good line of defense against shrimplets getting into the filter area, I just do not like it lol.

Amano will be reduced as they are getting larger and they will be joining other tanks of mine and my sisters. Once she gets a lid anyway since the last four I sent her all jumped as I warned her they might.

My sons tank will get a couple when I get him a light and he's absolutely thrilled. I don't think the platy or the betta can eat the Amanos anymore, they are growing fast and definitely hungry little boogers. Eventually I hope only to have the cherries and maybe 2-3 Amanos I any left in this tank.

Let the shrimpy adventure begin!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

4 Not allowed!
    Alright, remodel complete. It looks barren now I don't know what I think. Pulled the Anacharis and micranthemum something and added these Glossostigma Elatinoides and Riccia Fluitan. I imagine I'll kill the Glossostigma as I don't inject co2 but I'm going to try and get back to the Excel routine for this tank anyway and maybe I'll keep it alive. I moved the bubbler and crammed it down in the filter so the pump sucks up a few bubbles minces them and spits them out to the water column I'm hoping that it doesn't cause me to have bubbles on the glass constantly but I hate it just stuck through the top it looks terrible and I want the power head pointed into the tank for water circulation... We shall see.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Looking good! Catch a video for us, if you get the opportunity!

Glosso is fairly easy to grow for a carpet. As long as it has adequate lighting, you shouldn't have any issues. Keep up the trimming. With carpets like glosso and dwarf baby tears, the roots and lower sections of the plants will die off if the top grows too thick for light to penetrate. I lost an amazing carpet of HC from that little mistake.

If you get a mesh cover for your filter intake you won't have to worry about babies getting sucked up. You can get sponge meshes for incredibly cheap off Amazon.

3125897_290.jpg

If you don't care for the bulky look of the sponge pre filters, you can order some stainless steel mesh covers from Han Aquatics. He makes two different sizes of mesh holes, so make sure you get the one made for shrimp.

filter_guard2__11654.1410350337.250.250.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @bluewaterboof the Spec V has a built-in filter system. Has almost like a protein skimmer overflow that goes through a giant sponge with cutouts for media and is pulled through by a pump on the other side and put out through a power head. Lol I went through a bunch of different methods figuring out how to make it shrimp safe. What I finally did is pulled the carbon as it's really unnecessary and I don't have any chemicals to remove, put the ceramic media there and stuffed the bottom section full of filter floss since there's a small inlet in case that water gets low so your pump won't run dry, got that blocked more or less so hopefully shrimplets can't get through. Then I found some generic sponge that was fairly coarse and fit perfectly above the stock sponge so that there's no gap that they can crawl through at the top and also put some filter floss behind the over flow and between the new top sponge. It's actually an awesome filter and works phenomenally. I don't know if I'd buy another as customizing it is a bit different lol but overall I can't complain lol. But making it fry safe required some ingenuity. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I HAVE SHRIMP BABIES! Whoohoo for the first time I have babies I want! And I tried for! Yay!

OK so I did find out the hard way lol sucked some up during the water change but I am confident most of them made it back to the tank though I am also pretty sure one suicided on me.

Nylon covering the syphon next time lol

But I'm excited for the first batch of babies! Amanos are going to be reduced some are going into my son's platy tank in a week or so since they are big enough I do not think the platy will bother them much. But I want the platy babies to have a bit longer to grow before hand.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the shrimplets
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    And video of the tank. No babies to see and I have no idea why it looks like tinted water when it's crystal clear but regardless. It's quite a busy little tank and I am very much enjoying it so far... I may have to do another with some new colors if this works out well!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Cool little shrimp tank you have there....well worth the 16 hours to upload the vid
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Cool little shrimp tank you have there....well worth the 16 hours to upload the vid
    Bwahahahaha I know all 45 seconds of video!
    I need to improve my video skills but with that kind of time commitment I don't know if I'll live long enough to be any good!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Root tabs are finally down in this tank. I have no excuses for not getting it done until now I just kept putting it off. Hopefully my crypts will stop with the pin holes now and hopefully the new growth will get after actually growing.