· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

0 Not allowed!
    ...but this part I'm kinda unsure on....

" I generally start by measuring out enough medication for the amount of pellets I will be using"

He doesnt exactly say how much pellets to metro he is using.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great info on water softeners - Boundava   Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    The directions for metroplex says 1 measure per 1 tablepsoon of food paste, so you can measure out about 1tablespoon of pellets.

This easiest thing for you to do is follow Seachem's dosing instructions, however, I forgot to mention that Seachem also recommends that you use Seachem focus to bind Seachem metroplex to the pellets. metroplex will stick without it but not as well with focus in the mixture. When I did try it on pellets, I wet the pellets a little bit and rolled them into the mixture of focus and metroplex. You can even let the "rolled pellet" dry with the combo. What I did not like was that I could see some of hte medication leave the pellet if it was not eaten within a few seconds.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 06-17-2017 at 09:12 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Howdy...

Yes...you're right...they did mention the focus. Yep...of course I dont have any at the moment.

So What I did do ..

First I made up a batch using the Seachem directions of 1 scoop metro to 1 table spoon small pellets. Then I added enough Seachem Entice to cover the pellets like they said. Then mixed that up and let it soak in for a bit.

Then I got to thinking ...A) what am I going to do with the left overs...and B) how do I know each pellet is covered equally?

So I didnt use that batch.

Instread...I made up a more direct method.

I took a tiny bottle cap, put 3 pellets in it. "dusted " those with the pellets with the Metro, using the little scoop. then took an eye dropper and added one or two dropps of Entice..stirred that up and let it soak in.

He did eat all three. Like you said...he didnt get to the second one so quick and I also saw some medicine drift away.

Well...at least he got some in him, right?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great info on water softeners - Boundava   Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Some is better than none, sounds like he got all of it with the first pellet. One thing to remember is that some fish like to hold food in their mouth before swallowing, especially if they think you will be giving them more, so give him 10 seconds to swallow or until you do not see them "mouthing" the food.

0 Not allowed!
    *** PROGRESS REPORT ***

Well the progress is...my fish is still with us.

He has just completed his first full week of every other day Metro treatment. Method of delivery is feeding it to him via "coated" pellets. That has gone well. He still has a very large appetite.

As far as himself goes. Well..most of the time he sits on the bottom of his hospital tank and watches the world go by. Occasionally swimming around. Eating causes problems on his swim bladder. A few minutes after eating he goes up side down. Temporary water level adjustments help him stay upright till the effect passes.

The bigger concern is that he is still swollen/bloated (pine coned). I dont think he is as bloated as before..but thats a maybe/possibly not as before, as I cant recall the extent of it.....but he still is none the less. I think the good part is that we had started treatment of this..right when it was beginning to show up.

Rocksor....if you catch this note...his medicine is currently MetroPlex. (Previously it was Kanaplex, which didnt work) Earlier you had mentioned EM Erythromycin as an option. I have this too. I have heard that with some medicines you can use them together. I was wondering what you thought about doing this with Metro..and Erythro?

Please advise.

Much Thanks !

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thye are both different, so you can use them together. However, you have just finished metroplex, so I wouldn't do a second week of it, just the erythromycin. This will kill your bacteria colony.

Dose the tank with 1 tablespoon of dissolved epsom salt per 5 gallons of tank water with the erythromycin treatment.

Will the goldfish eat frozen food like mysis shrimp or bloodworms? See if it still ends up floating after eating those, or is it the gulping of air while trying to eat the food causing the problem?

PH is above 7.0, correct?
    Last edited by Rocksor; 06-25-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry for Disco's passing. - Silbar   thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear your goldfish is still suffering, hope the EM works for him.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp only tanks with Bloody Mary and Blue Dream shrimp,-grow out tank for bamboo shrimp
    20L- Boraras rasbora, -grow out tank for bamboo shrimp
    20L- Pearl/blue dream shrimp, Pygmy Cory, Ember tetras and CPD

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

0 Not allowed!
    Hi. Thank you for your kind thoughts. Yup...hes still havin a bad time of it....but with Rocksors help...we're still trying.

0 Not allowed!
    Greetings Rocksor...

Metroplex recommends two weeks treatment. However...I'm not really seeing definite results, as I was hoping it would knock the bloating/pineconing down. But it remains.

but I did remember that you also mentioned the erythromycin so thats why i was wondering if they could be used together, since technically metro has a week left. If we were going to Erythromycin next...i wanted to get it started ASAP.

My fish has never had frozen food of any kind. Actually his pea treatment is the first time he's had those. He likes them alot. "I think" his turning upside down after feeding is the result of him being swollen up from whatevers going on inside (including the bloat) and the adding of food to his stomach...thus compressing -more- his swim bladder....and possibly also the intaking air while top feeding. This theory comes from my thinking that ...well..he hasnt been upside down since i feed him last....but if i fed him...most likely...in a bit after...he would be. I tried to get him sinkable pellets and another pet store...they also had none. I dont believe he is constipated because he pooped on friday.

I have been running the epsom salt as you previously instructed...but i did do a water change today...so i will put some more in.

Im not sure of the ph...last i checked...it was 6.5..probably. My recent tests have focused on the other 3 tests. I'll get back to you on that.

Once again...I thank you very much !

John.