· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    I'm sorry that he is looking worse. I'm hoping for a turn around.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    Also pulling for returned health to your beautiful fish. The 'sad fish' photo above is heartbreaking. I hope you are able to help him.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Greetings Rocksor...

Yes...he has plenty of surface agitation. what with the filter pump ...and he has 3 air stones too.

I did to a 1/3rd water change this morning due to the test results going green again.
    And I gave him an early dose of Kanaplex.
    I didnt add back the epsom salt as I dont know how that figures in with a the water change.

I dont have either of those medicines today...I'll have to pick them up tomorrow.
    I usually carry Maracyn..but Im out. Ive never heard of E.M. Erythromycin

I've got one that I just have to put to you....or whoever else might catch this..
    ....What about CLOUT. Isnt that the go to for Dropsy what with the swelling or pineconing..which has gotten worse (see pic)

(I dont know how that showed up btw. His water has been looked after)

I've used it on cichlids...but never on a goldfish.

Frankly...the stuff scares me. Its pretty powerful. A fishes reaction to it could be good...or bad...as in really bad.
    Thats probably why you havent brought it up yet.
    ..but i just thought i would ask anyway..

Thank you again for keeping up with this !

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Maracyn I contains Erythromycin.

Clout contains 190mg/tab of Metronidazole and 7.8mg/tab of Trichlorfon. It looks like the last ingredient is for external parasites.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yah..it does say that about the external parasites. And my fish definitely doesnt have any of those. I mentioned it because I had read where it was effect at treating dropsey/bloat.

Heres one article:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/malawi_bloat.php

If you scrolll down the article you will see a box of Clout an a tube of Metronidazole,. Thats were they talk about using them for bloat. My fish is getting swollen like the fish in the picture at the top of the article.

However...I've only come across this and other articles like it that talk about using clout for bloat...on cichlids. I havent heard it mentioned with gold fish. So...I thought i would ask about it.

I will pick up some Maracyn 1 today.

Thanks.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Greetings Rocksor...

Well I went to the pet store...they only had EM Erythromycin. I will administer that tonight.

Were you able to read that article link I sent over regarding Clout and the treating of the pineconing/bloat?
    Im just asking because his swelling continues.

Thanks
    John

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Since kanamycin didn't help, and it is pretty broad spectrum in treating gram negative bacteria, we can assume that the oathogen isot gram negative, hence the Erythromycin which treats gram positive.

metro does help with some gram negative and some gram negative bacterial infections as well as parasitic infections that can result in bloat.

You can try clout if you want, and I suspect it is the metro ingredient in cloat that is helping the fish.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 06-16-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Howdy Rocksor...

Well I'm glad I came back here before doing stuff because...if not I probably woulda done something dumb.

Meaning in the post where you mentioned that you saw Clout had "Metronidazole and 7.8mg/tab of Trichlorfon". Well I didnt remember my Clout containing either of those so I went and read the box. It doesnt have those ( it does have a bunch of other chemicals though)...but in the process I discovered that my Clout expired in 2007. So clout is out!

but in the past when i had problems i kept hearing the fish pros (like yourself) mentioning Metro (Metronidazole). So...this time when I ordered the kanaplex (Seachem)...i also ordered some thier Metroplex..which is 70% Metronidazole.

So now I have both EM Erythromycin...and Metro.

Which of those two do you think with be the better bet on stopping the Bloat, as I think thats becoming the more dominate problem?

As always...thanks !

John
    Last edited by John_Johnathan; 06-17-2017 at 05:26 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    metro is better consumed (and most effective dosage is determined by weight), so I would try erythiromycin first. Unless of course you have a gel based food with which you can add metro to.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Rocksor...

RE: Using Metro...

Well, no I dont have gell based food.

But I do have pellets...lots of 'em.

And I found this very informative article by a Seachem representative that also said that Metroplex is also better feed to the fish than added to the water...once again showing Rockor knows his stuff.

Here it is....

http://www.seachem.com/support/forum...cus-to-pellets

I think I would like to start with Metro....and with the pellet method they talk about It pretty much follows the points you've made. And like I said before several other fish pros prefer it too.

I've had to transfer my fish to the hospital tank. His swimming and or ability to stay right side up all the time has been affected more so.

I am keeping an eye on the parameters there.

Thanks.
    Last edited by John_Johnathan; 06-17-2017 at 07:32 PM.