· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default finrot help please!

0 Not allowed!
    Hello fish friends, need some treatment advice for my betta Enzo.

I noticed his finrot about 2 weeks ago on his dorsal fin. Started doing just daily water changes but after a few days I saw that it really wasn't helping and the rot was getting more severe. After searching through other forums and help sites it was suggested I try Melafix, but upon further research it has come to my attention that Melafix does nothing for finrot and is detrimental to bettas. :( Now I think he is also developing popeye. Argh!

Next treatment attempt - bought some Maracyn 2 and have now finished day 5 of treatment. I have not noticed much of a change, and it looks like the finrot has moved on to other fins. :( I did 30%water changes everyday while on treatment also.

So question is, do I try another round of Maracyn 2 treatment? Or do I pursue another option? I am at a loss and am feeling so sad for Enzo. His energy is still good - swimming normally, still alert and follows my finger when I visit his tank, his appetite and eating remain normal. I just don't know what to do for his poor fins! I am reluctant to put additional medication into his tank for fear of stressing him out more...please help! Any suggestions would be amazing. Thank you!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Finrot generally starts due to an uncycled tank, which means high ammonia and nitrite levels. You need to test the water for ammonia and nitrites using a liquid test. If you cant then you need to be doing 75%-100% water changes daily. His tank should be bare bottom with no substrate to make it easier to clean.

Not all medication will work in all ph values, so you need to test your ph with a liquid test before any medication can be recommended.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To keep you encouraged. - mac   For your label making abilities - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default finrot help please!

0 Not allowed!
    I have a medication called Paraguard that isn't supposed to raise the ph and is supposed to heal finrot

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Moved to the Fish Diseases section of the forum.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers