· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Hope your betta settles in soon. - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the new fish and tank. - Silbar   

Question Guppies "picking" at each-other

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, everyone!

I've had my guppies for a couple of months now and it seems like all of a sudden they have started to pick at each other. I have 3 of them in a 5-gallon. I know it's not an ideal size, but it hasn't been an issue until now (if that's even the problem). They used to do a lot of exploring and group swimming but now they spend a lot of time chasing each other around. I wanna say it started less than a week ago and I woke up this morning with my biggest guppy having a rip in his caudal fin (tail).

What could cause this change? Would adding more plants help?
    Last edited by LittleFox; 06-04-2017 at 11:11 PM. Reason: grammar
    ~~~~~~~~

"I just wanna have coffee and pet my dog."

5-gallon & 2-gallon:
    3 male guppies

~~ ~~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    It is very likely the tank size. I sometimes use 5Gs for guppy breeder and QT tanks. The exact same fish that got along fine in a 20G or larger yesterday will beat each other up in 5.5G and sometimes even a 10G isn't too much better. For me it's the females that are the trouble makers.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No platys in the gift shop, so have a cookie - Slaphppy7   Welcome to AC! - Silbar   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    What are the genders? I agree that it's probably the small size that's causing them to be aggressive. But just to be sure, what are the parameters and temp?
    "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags it's tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."
    -Cheshire cat

"You know, aquariums are submarines for fish."
    -Kevin, Ghost Busters!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Hope your betta settles in soon. - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the new fish and tank. - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Platylover View Post
    What are the genders? I agree that it's probably the small size that's causing them to be aggressive. But just to be sure, what are the parameters and temp?
    They are all males. Parameters:

pH: 8
    ammonia: 0 ppm
    nitrite: 0 ppm
    nitrate: < 5 ppm
    temp: 74 degrees (F)
    ~~~~~~~~

5-gallon & 2-gallon:
    3 male guppies

~~ ~~

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No platys in the gift shop, so have a cookie - Slaphppy7   Welcome to AC! - Silbar   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, then I just think it's that they're in a 5g. Although males can be aggressive to eachother regardless sometimes. I'd look into getting a 10 if you can, adding more decor or plants might help as well. That way they can get away.:)
    "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags it's tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."
    -Cheshire cat

-Kevin, Ghost Busters!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Platylover View Post
    Yeah, then I just think it's that they're in a 5g. Although males can be aggressive to eachother regardless sometimes. I'd look into getting a 10 if you can, adding more decor or plants might help as well. That way they can get away.:)
    So why is this a problem just now? Why not since I first put them in there?
    ~~~~~~~~

5-gallon & 2-gallon:
    3 male guppies

~~ ~~

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Can't say for certain, but it may be their age. They've probably matured and grown more than when you got them. Their hormones may have changed in a ways that they see males as rivals. That's what I'd guess at least, I know that's the reason for quite a few problems arousing in various fish species.
    -Cheshire cat

-Kevin, Ghost Busters!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFox View Post
    So why is this a problem just now? Why not since I first put them in there?
    They are fish and they do what they want. Mine only spar occasionally. It's quite possible your's may even stop again soon. That's much more likely in a larger tank.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFly View Post
    They are fish and they do what they want. Mine only spar occasionally. It's quite possible your's may even stop again soon. That's much more likely in a larger tank.
    Okay, so if it really is because they are in a too-small tank, would putting them in a 10 gallon help?

**Edit: I really should note that I'm on a limited budget, which is why I got the 5-gallon to begin with.
    Last edited by LittleFox; 06-05-2017 at 05:20 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~

5-gallon & 2-gallon:
    3 male guppies

~~ ~~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    5.5G is not too small of a tank for only 3 guppies.

The dominant male is probably establishing territory...try adding a few plants or more deco to break up the areas and line of sight...can you provide a pic of the tank?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers