· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

Default Mystery fry in 20 gallon coldwater

2 Not allowed!
    I've been noticing a single mystery fry swimming around jerkingly in my 20-gallon. It's not quite 1/4 inch long, its body is a bright iridescent blue, and it looks like a baby Neon Tetra. I only have White Cloud Minnows in that tank, so have no idea how or why this single fry appeared.

The first thought is that one or more of the minnows laid eggs, they hatched, and only this one fry survived. Why would it be neon blue? Thus far, it seems to be thriving. An adult minnow will occasionally stop and look at it, but none of them have made any attempt to eat it. Lots of plants in this tank in which it can hide.

When I feed, part of the diet consists of Baby Bites (small enough to fit into the White Clouds' mouths), and NLS for small fish. Also, freeze-dried Daphnia. Evidently, this little guy or gal is able to eat some of this, as it shows no signs of starvation. I haven't actually seen it eat, however. It may be getting microscopic stuff from the plant leaves? I notice my shrimp always picking stuff off the plants.

This is definitely a little fish, not a shrimp larva.

I have seen clusters of what appear to be eggs in the tank, but thought they were snail eggs, always attached to the glass.

So, what could it be (too small to photograph, and moves around too fast).
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Well, only time will tell and hopefully he makes it so you can find out for certain. But surely he has to be a WCMM? Or did you add something recently that he might have hitchhiked in with?

I had diamond tetras breeding some time ago and only found out when I caught a glimpse of a fry that would dart out of the plants when I fed the tank and be gone again in an instant. This is a community tank with a few species of tetras so it was a big surprise that a fry was surviving in there and took a few days to confirm which species. Happened twice - just one fry each time, both diamonds - but both made it and when large enough eventually joined the others. It's a nice surprise.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

2 Not allowed!
    No recent new plant additions.

It was quite awhile ago that I added more Amano shrimp -- maybe some fish eggs got into the bag? What were the chances that when I netted the shrimp out of the acclimation bucket that I would also have netted out some fish eggs? Pretty slim odds, I would think.

It's probably a WCMM. Maybe the babies are blue for awhile. It is a nice surprise. I don't have a separate fry tank, so I hope he does make it and grows.

Who knows? Nature is full of fun surprises.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    I hope it does grow up for you! That's a neat find, certainly. Please do keep us informed and eventually, let us know the answer to your mystery.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    He's still actively swimming around. I've been feeding the Baby Bites to all my White Clouds, because they're small enough to fit into the mouths of the adult fish. The little one picked a granule off the surface, then spit it out. I try to mash them up between my fingers to make them even smaller, so this little guy can eat them. I hope he's getting enough food. Seems to be, or he wouldn't have grown to the size he is -- close to 1/2 inch, now.

His body is still neon blue most of the time, but I did see him once with a reddish stripe down his lateral line. Pretty sure, now, that he's a baby White Cloud. Guess it's just the way the light reflects off him.

I do hope he continues to grow, and that he's getting food, somehow. That was the only time I saw him pick up a granule when I fed the other fish, but maybe he eats when it falls to the substrate or I just don't see him eating. I don't have a separate tank to put him into, but nobody seems to bother him in my 20.

Any suggestions for food small enough that would fit into his very tiny mouth? Could he be getting microscope organisms to eat that are already in the tank? Maybe he's following the example of my shrimp, that are always picking stuff I can't see off the plants and gravel.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    Could he be getting microscope organisms to eat that are already in the tank?
    I would think so, yes. Do you happen to have a leaf you can add to this tank? An IAL would be ideal, I'd think. Read about how leaves foster insuforia growth.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Crush a good quality flake into almost powder form, and feed that.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Also -- and I could well be wrong about this, so please correct me if I'm mistaken -- but I have thought that when a fish takes in the pellet granule and spits it out again, retakes it, spits, repeats... I thought they were eating the outer, softened layers of that pellet each time.

Does anyone know? I'd like to hear other people's take on this behavior, please. If I'm wrong, I sure would like to correct my thinking.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Crush a good quality flake into almost powder form, and feed that.
    A simple answer is the best answer. Yep.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    Also -- and I could well be wrong about this, so please correct me if I'm mistaken -- but I have thought that when a fish takes in the pellet granule and spits it out again, retakes it, spits, repeats... I thought they were eating the outer, softened layers of that pellet each time.

Does anyone know? I'd like to hear other people's take on this behavior, please. If I'm wrong, I sure would like to correct my thinking.
    I'm not sure if they are eating the outer layer, or just trying to soften up the food.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers