· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

Default What algae is this?

0 Not allowed!
    Dark Green, doesn't rub off and when I rub it it actually feels exactly like the leaf like there's nothing growing on it. It is very very slowly spreading and is on two anubias plants, the rest of the anubias and other plants are fine as of now. It does not look like bga to me but I've never had bga on a plant, not even sure it'd grow on a plant. The plants were bought two different places, and placed at different times. Tank has been cycled and with fish since beginning of April maybe late March. Marina 20 gallon stock lighting. No waste build up anywhere in the tank (this one is meticulously clean). Happy to provide any other specifics.

Parameters:
    Ammonia - 0
    nitrIte - 0
    nitrAte - never over 20ppm
    pH - 8.0
    kH - 10
    gH - 15
    Temp: 77-79

No ferts
    No co2
    No Excel

Flourite black sand, Seachem Cichlid Sahara sand cap
    Two 25% water changes a week.

I'm thinking I need to get ahead of this one since I can't remove it without I guess cutting the infected leaves.... Would be death to both plants as each leaf has at least a spot or two at this point.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No platys in the gift shop, so have a cookie - Slaphppy7   Welcome to AC! - Silbar   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sure others will be much more helpful, but just wanted to say I believe I have the same thing. It doesn't come off when I rub it, but my ramshorn snails are able to eat it off.
    "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags it's tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."
    -Cheshire cat

"You know, aquariums are submarines for fish."
    -Kevin, Ghost Busters!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Ha! If this wasn't a grow out tank with future plans I might consider dropping some of my bladder snails in it and see what they do. Plus the current inhabitants would most likely eat them before they had a chance anyway. I don't want to intentionally get ramshorn either. The larger nerites in this tank either prefer to continue to destroy dw with eggs or haven't yet found it... I've never seen them on a plant in this tank so I'm not hopeful for that idea either.

But I definitely don't want this stuff to take off on me.

I'm pretty sure I did it to myself as I noticed it at some point after having left the light on about 48 hrs straight when I left town and forgot to shut it down. :( could be a coincidence but it wasn't long after that outing I first noticed it I don't think. But this tank generally gets 5-6 hours of lights on the rest is ambient light from a far away window.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need another ram. - Slaphppy7   Congrats for Maggie! - Rue   Indeed, it is now time for a beer - RiversGirl   congrats on your baby corys - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    That is green spot algae. I always have some in my tanks. You can try cleaning your anubias leaves with a wet sponge, I have done that without harming the plant.
    Just put one hand under the leaf to allow you to apply gentle pressure to the sponge and wipe carefully. However, green spot doesn't always remove easily.
    Last edited by dwarfguy; 06-03-2017 at 02:34 PM.