· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default New to south american puffers

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

I had recently punched 3 south american puffers for my 27 gallon planted cube aquarium. Is the size of aquarium going to be suitable for long term care? Also I have 9 cardinal tetras 3 Cory catfish and 3 otocinclus in the aquarium. So far none of the other fish has been injured with the puffers. Should I still keep everything in the same aquarium?

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   great job on figuring out your photos - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    They may pick on each other for territory. Remember that they get 5 inches at full size. That's almost half a foot. I would re-home at least 1 for safety. What are you feeding them?
    My Aquarium Journals:

LiveBearer Aquascape

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm pretty sure they mean the pea puffers (Carinotetraodon travancoricus), which do not get larger than around 3/4" TL.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No platys in the gift shop, so have a cookie - Slaphppy7   Welcome to AC! - Silbar   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I'd suggest setting up a 10(if it's pea puffers), as they tend to be very aggressive. I've heard of people's puffers taking out oscars that we're much larger than them. They're really solitary fish(most, if not all, puffers) because of this. The Otos and cories also need 5 minimum of the same species. So, my answer is no, you shouldn't.
    "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags it's tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."
    -Cheshire cat

"You know, aquariums are submarines for fish."
    -Kevin, Ghost Busters!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    I've confused the pea puffer with the Colomesus puffer, which still doesn't get too large, around 3.2". They do live in shoals in the wild. A trio can do fine in a 29g tank that is heavily planted.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Which is it? Pea puffers are better for a smaller planted tank like that while SAP like a heavy current and prefer a school. I keep one now in an 80gallon with a river tank manifold and he really tires himself out in that current. I plan on getting him some buddies after we move. I lost one due to a puffing up incident. It puffed up once at the store when I bought it and then again a couple weeks later. That fish was smaller and never really did very well. Something to watch out for. Puffing=bad. http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a24876b...610_125657.mp4