· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

Default Non Dominant Male Sailfin Molly

0 Not allowed!
    I was told by someone online that there is something called a "non-dominant male sailfin". He claimed this meant that a non-dominant male does not have the sailfin but instead looks like a female even though it is a male. Ive never heard of this and could not find anything online confirming the claim. Has anyone heard of this?!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No platys in the gift shop, so have a cookie - Slaphppy7   Welcome to AC! - Silbar   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Not really sure what that means, never heard of it. Perhaps he was meaning a late blooming male? Not sure how that'd effect the sail fin though...
    "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags it's tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."
    -Cheshire cat

"You know, aquariums are submarines for fish."
    -Kevin, Ghost Busters!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    It' sounds like it's basically a juvenile male not showing the same characteristics of a full grown adult male. This happens in young male cichlids, where they kind of look like females until full adult hood.

See how this article cannot truly label a male versus female young molly.
    http://goliadfarms.com/orange-sailfin-molly/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

2 Not allowed!
    He was trying to strike a deal with me on them. I asked him if he meant they were unsexed juveniles but he insisted that they were "non-dominant" males. I think it may have been a borderline scam but I didnt want to acuse him of that up front. I didn't make the deal but wanted to get AC's opinion on the matter anyway. I believe he was trying to send me females instead of males. I told him unless he could send me a pic of the gonopodium, it was a no go.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    go to a reputable breeder...Where you having the fish shipped to you?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I usually only do local pick up for fish. This guy contacted me via my instagram. Im always up to helping others out who are just starting but there were way too many red flags so I had to tell him no. I just wanted to clarify this was a shady statement with my good and true friends of AC.