· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default What is wrong with my goldfish?

0 Not allowed!
    So I got this goldfish from my 9 year old cousin (to save the poor fish), he was totally healthy when I got him. He lived in this small bowl and was fed with rice all the time for 2 months so I decided to get a proper fish tank that is bigger and get him proper fish food. Since last week he has been in a 5 gallon tank.
    He has not been moving much since 2 days ago. He was sitting on the bottom of the tank sometimes, now he is barely moving just standing there and not eating anymore but his fin is not down.
    I live in Afghanistan and we don't have fancy equipment here, I tried to find a water test kit but no luck. There is only one place that sells fish and the guy had no idea about a water test kit and what pH or nitrite, nitrate and... is. My point is I can't get the water parameters as I don't have the tool and the tank has no equipment but I do at least 50% water change everyday and the water I use has no chlorine at all (natural from a pit)

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to save him.

Here are pics of what he looks like and stands there and what I feed him with.

20170522_032902.jpg
    20170522_032910.jpg
    20170522_033333.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    Hello,

Sorry to hear about your issues.
    More so that finding the required equipment is very to to possibly impossible. Very sad indeed.

What it's sounding like is the tank is cycling. What have you got for filtration?? Or at least to agitate the water for airation?

Really good news to hear of daily water changes. They are very important, even more so in cycling a tank.

Since I am not on my main computer i am unable to post the required link. But in the beginner section is articles for cycling tanks. Look at the fish in cycle. I do understand it's made for test kits to help with the water changes and cycling. But their is still some very useful information to help you out along the way.

Mac

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Hello,

Sorry to hear about your issues.
    More so that finding the required equipment is very to to possibly impossible. Very sad indeed.

What it's sounding like is the tank is cycling. What have you got for filtration?? Or at least to agitate the water for airation?

Really good news to hear of daily water changes. They are very important, even more so in cycling a tank.

Since I am not on my main computer i am unable to post the required link. But in the beginner section is articles for cycling tanks. Look at the fish in cycle. I do understand it's made for test kits to help with the water changes and cycling. But their is still some very useful information to help you out along the way.

Mac
    Hello,

Thank you very much for the fast reply. I just read an article about cycling. As I said I have no equipment. I only had these seashells that I collected from the beach during my trip to Dubai and bought this artificial plant for decoration so they are all new and never been in another tank. Looks like I could use that small bowl for cycling and getting some bacteria in my new tank. So now would a little salt in the water help? Anything else I can quickly do?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Would it help if I get another goldfish?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I certainly would not add any more fish.

What you need if you can is get some sort of agitation going. A small air pump if you can get onr will be the best option.

Keep up the water changes.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Added a small air pump but not sure if i should set it on low power or high power? How much do i want it to move the water? I dont want the water movement to annoy the fish.
    Also today saw him swimming in very fast and strange patterns. Maybe itching? Any solution to that?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    At this stage what we need to do is get oxygen into the water so it dosnt go stale. Keep the watcher changes up daily.

Last thing which has been answered yet is what is the filtration? I am assuming you havnt got any. Is there any chance of a cheap air sponge type filter for the bacteria to form in so the cycle can finish over a couple of weeks??

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    No i got no filteration. None available here. This fish is seriously sick. I dont think he would last long.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    With the agitation from the air stone and the water changes your making the environment way better for him.

All we need now is to sort out the filtration.

Have you researched diy air sponge fliters??

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    Is it possible that the seashells are leaching something into the water (salt, calcium, etc)?
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie