· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Silly question but do you have Driftwood in the tank and are you giving them a source of vegetation to eat everyday. When they're young they like to graze on algae or vegetables like zucchinis and yellow summer squash even watermelon or cantaloupes. They need the Driftwood for the cellulose to aid in digestion and then the vegetables would just be there natural foods. Might just be that they're not getting enough to eat.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    I'm in agreement with Nat that there is a possibility that the BN was not eating enough. At that size, 4 weeks is enough of a time period for starvation.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 08-02-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Nat and me both commented on that nice piece of DW, is it inedible for the BNP's?

I see lots of hiding places for such small plecos, and BNP's can be very shy during tank-lit hours.

I didn't feed my BNP's veggies when they were young, but they ate sinking algae wafers and other pellets just fine.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because I back our Blue...thanks for your service - Silbar   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Have another angel fish... - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   No Message - Law Dog   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Silly question but do you have Driftwood in the tank and are you giving them a source of vegetation to eat everyday. When they're young they like to graze on algae or vegetables like zucchinis and yellow summer squash even watermelon or cantaloupes. They need the Driftwood for the cellulose to aid in digestion and then the vegetables would just be there natural foods. Might just be that they're not getting enough to eat.
    I was not feeding it vegetables, but I'm going to start today as I picked up a zucchini from my neighbor last night. I was placing sinking pellets, but most of the time the Odessas would eat them up before the BN or Cory's could find them. I have plenty of DW (2 large pieces).

Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Nat and me both commented on that nice piece of DW, is it inedible for the BNP's?

I see lots of hiding places for such small plecos, and BNP's can be very shy during tank-lit hours.

I didn't feed my BNP's veggies when they were young, but they ate sinking algae wafers and other pellets just fine.
    Both pieces of DW are Mopani, and the BN were always either on it, around it or under it. Very seldom did they venture too far away from that area. I may try some algae wafers as well before I venture to the LFS and get another replacement.

I appreciate the replies gang! It's frustrating to lose 2 BN when all of the other fish I have in the tank are more delicate and they've been fine.
    * 100gal show
    - planted w/ Crypts, Vals, Java Fern, Staurogyne repens and Amazon Swords
    - Neons, 4 Angelfish, Sunset Honey Gourami, BN Pleco, Spotted Sailfin
    Pleco, Odessa Barbs, Corydoras schwartzi, Serpae Tetras, Silver tip tetras
    * Fluval Spec V
    - Dwarf Gourami, , 1 Kuhli loach, 2 Black Phantom Tetras
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dog View Post
    I was not feeding it vegetables, but I'm going to start today as I picked up a zucchini from my neighbor last night. I was placing sinking pellets, but most of the time the Odessas would eat them up before the BN or Cory's could find them. I have plenty of DW (2 large pieces).

Both pieces of DW are Mopani, and the BN were always either on it, around it or under it. Very seldom did they venture too far away from that area. I may try some algae wafers as well before I venture to the LFS and get another replacement.

I appreciate the replies gang! It's frustrating to lose 2 BN when all of the other fish I have in the tank are more delicate and they've been fine.
    Yeah, if the barbs are eating the wafers, chances are higher they didn't get much. That's the problem with fast eating fish, the slower ones get what is leftover, if there are any leftovers. I would put in wafers after lights out, even better if the room lights were out as well, so that the barbs could not get to them.

For now, I would put in 1 veggie a day, like a 3-4' half slice of zucchini.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because I back our Blue...thanks for your service - Silbar   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Have another angel fish... - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   No Message - Law Dog   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Yeah, if the barbs are eating the wafers, chances are higher they didn't get much. That's the problem with fast eating fish, the slower ones get what is leftover, if there are any leftovers. I would put in wafers after lights out, even better if the room lights were out as well, so that the barbs could not get to them.

For now, I would put in 1 veggie a day, like a 3-4' half slice of zucchini.
    Will do!

I don't know why I didn't think of putting the wafers in after lights out either..... duh!
    * 100gal show
    * Fluval Spec V
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Fish can still smell and find food with no light in the tank.

Get the veggie routine going when you get another BNP
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Schooling/shoaling fish tend to get comatose when there are no lights. Crepuscular and nocturnal fish, should have no problems finding food at night.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I just added a slice of zucchini rubber banded to a rock. Hopefully it gets munched on tonight. I plan on going to my LFS this Friday to pick up another BN, and hopefully this time they're a tad larger.
    * 100gal show
    * Fluval Spec V
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    no quarantine? That would be the best place to fatten them up for the next month or so

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast