· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For doing a fine job with your first tank. - Slaphppy7   

Default Still No Nitrite/Nitrate

0 Not allowed!
    It has now been a little over 3 weeks since I added ammonia to my tank. Per my API Master test kit, my Ammonia is still at 4PPM, Nitrite 0PPM, Nitrate well below 5PPM, and my Ph is still well below 7.5. I added a little flake food twice in the past week. Did not change. How can I get my Ph up so the bacteria will start to grow? Should I drain the tank? The Ph of my tap water is 7.8. Thanks for any advice.
    I Am A Freshwater Fish In A Saltwater World
    When I Was A Little Girl, All The Other Little Girls Wanted To Be Ballerinas; I Kinda Wanted To Be A Vampire
    Be The Rainbow In Someone Else's Cloud

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I've been wanting you get you a Gift for a while!  Thanks for all the music :)  That's for you not spilling your beer! - angelcraze2   Congrats - AmazonJoe   Congrat on your fishless cycle - Boundava   Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KoryKat View Post
    It has now been a little over 3 weeks since I added ammonia to my tank. Per my API Master test kit, my Ammonia is still at 4PPM, Nitrite 0PPM, Nitrate well below 5PPM, and my Ph is still well below 7.5. I added a little flake food twice in the past week. Did not change. How can I get my Ph up so the bacteria will start to grow? Should I drain the tank? The Ph of my tap water is 7.8. Thanks for any advice.
    how big of tank do you have and how much ammonia did you put in to start your cycle?
    Last edited by Hockey nut; 05-20-2017 at 04:46 AM.
    If it's too loud you're too old
    If it's too fast then it must be thrash

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I've been wanting you get you a Gift for a while!  Thanks for all the music :)  That's for you not spilling your beer! - angelcraze2   Congrats - AmazonJoe   Congrat on your fishless cycle - Boundava   Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

1 Not allowed!
    I have been drinking and would just babble on at this point. I am newbe also and am cycling. I would suggest read the stickies in this section on cycling.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest starting a journal, that will get you the most feed back from the experts......

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

1 Not allowed!
    What is the pH of the tank water? If it's to low it will definitely stall the cycle.
    You can change out some tank water with tap water, but is spending on your tap waters buffering capabilities, the pH will probably just drop again. Another way to raise pH is to add baking soda to the tank water.
    Before you do anything let us know the exact pH.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Edit: mommy1 beat me to it lol :)

Yep could try using a teaspoon of baking soda for every 5gallons premixed in a container of aquarium water to raise KH and hopefully pH.

Take a snap shot of the pH reading if you can please. That will help tremendously
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 05-20-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For doing a fine job with your first tank. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I tried to send a pic of the Ph but it did not work. The color is a very pale yellow. I added 7ml of ammonia per the instructions or Dr. Tim's ammonia. I have a 36 g bowfront, temp is 80. Ammonia is between 2 and 4 today. Still no nitrites/nitrates. Should I add the baking soda? 1 tsp per 5 gallons per the reply?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I Am A Freshwater Fish In A Saltwater World
    When I Was A Little Girl, All The Other Little Girls Wanted To Be Ballerinas; I Kinda Wanted To Be A Vampire
    Be The Rainbow In Someone Else's Cloud

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

2 Not allowed!
    Very pale yellow means 6.0 pH. That is to low for the bacteria to grow so I would say yes to the baking soda. I don't know if you need 1 tsp per 5g. Maybe start with half that amount and test pH in a few hours. You want to add enough baking soda to bring the pH in the 7.something range.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I do not want to thread jack but I was wondering if adding baking soda to a cycling tank was also safe to add to a tank that has fish in it?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Get us a pic of the tank...what is in it as far as substrate, deco, plants, rocks, etc?

I'm wondering how a tap ph of 7.8 dropped so dramatically.

Get a sample of your tap water in a cup, let it sit for 24 hours, then test the ph
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers