· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Congo tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default The Congo tank

4 Not allowed!
    So, I've mentioned in other reports posts about my slowly working on my Congo tank. I've decided to start a journal of the adventure here as to track how and when different things have occurred as well as hopefully get advice when I've made or am about to make a mistake.

This tank is my first really large project tank. I've been doing aquariums for almost 30 years (27-28) and although I've taken my fair share of breaks I've almost consistently had something swimming in a table or shelf somewhere.

So... Currently I am slowly gathering and growing out stock in a 20 gallon standard tank. Stock including both fish, plants and hardscape materials. I've been cycled in the 20 gallon for around 2.5 months. But I have been researching exactly how I wanted to do this for quite a long while before I took the plunge.

CURRENT INFO :
    TANK - Marina 20 gallon kit

LIGHTING - stock from the kit (suits my needs well)

FILTRATION - Fluval C3
    Also have one bubbler in a corner that gets no flow and helps keep up movement along the bottom of the tank

SUBSTRATE:
    Flourite black sand capped with Caribsea African Cichlid mix - Sahara Sand

HARDSCAPE:
    Lace Rock and Dragon Stone
    Manzanita wood - a large stumpish with roots and some smaller branches (no tiny decorative ends)

PLANTS:
    ANUBIAS - Barteri, Coffeefoilia and a smooth variety of some type, a few small starts of Nana , and in another tank (but is for the final 55) several dense sections of Nana Narrow Leaf and I have some absolutely teensy tiny Nana Petite that may or may not end up used (might keep it in my tiny tanks so it doesn't get lost)
    CRINUM NATANS - Two decently sized mother plants about 10-12" tall, 3 separated child plants, and one more child still attached.
    SWORD - not for final tank, currently here to provide additional cover and security to the tank have one medium sized pathetic looking plant and two starts from a runner also looking fairly pathetic lol

Here's some photos (mostly for my own reference) of progress through from start up.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    More photos...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    CURRENT STOCK:
    Ctenopoma Acutirostre x2
    (leopard ctenopoma)

Gnathonemus Pertersi x1
    (elephant nose fish)

Synodontis Eupterus x4
    Were incorrectly sold as Nigriventris, I figured it out after a couple weeks. If anyone is interested they are available for rehoming (you pay shipping expenses)

Zebra Danio number varies I add/remove them as necessary to keep BB volume up and help prevent any spikes as I find my fish I desire for the build. There's almost always some in the tank. They will not move to final build.

CAE x1
    RIP my well behaved ECM friend. My sister borrowed him for an algae bloom couple days ago, her house had a catastrophic event which required moving that tank day after he got there. I was up this morning and ask what tank he was in since I didn't see him in the big tank... Apparently new tank, next day giant earthquake in new tank wigged him out pretty terribly (she said he'd went spastic right after the move) and he decided to jump... Landed in a cup of water (hahaha, no :( ) next to the tank... He'd swam off to calmer seas by the time I found him.

PLANS FOR FUTURE STOCK:

AFRICAN BUTTERFLY FISH - will probably not pick up until I get get the 55 going, unless they arrive locally. Probably won't get more than two total regardless.

CONGO TETRA - definitely will not get until the 55 is going and everyone is moved, will use the 20 gallon to grow out if necessary depending on purchase size. Will likely do a school of 8-10 and would like to add more but I'm hesitant as it's only a 55 gallon and they do grow quite large at 3-3.5".

OTHER CONSIDERATIONS:
    I've recently learned of a Congo Barb, I'm not really a tetra fan and am looking into this as an option over the Congo Tetra. Lots of research ahead before any decision here.

If/when Eupterus find a new home, I'll immediately replace with the Nigriventris I actually want. Would like to have at least 4 will probably purchase 6, as 4 is in my opinion still less than ideal but the absolute bare minimum and 6 would be perfect for me.

I'm seeking out another algae eating fish. No it doesn't have to solely survive on algae. The CAE was fantastic as soon as I learned they also like high protein in their diet and I made sure he had that he was a million times calmer and happier and he was fantastic algae control as well. Buuuut I'm not looking to get another due to adult size having potential to be so large. Catch is, it's gotta be able to not become ctenopoma snacks and it's gotta stand up to the rude eupterus shoving their way around and "sharing" everyones space. Which the CAE was perfect for. I'd also like to get something from the Congo region if at all possible but so far today my search is turning up blanks. I've got time though.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Future plants I'm looking for input in this for sure! Must be African and not from Madagascar. (me trying to stay Congo based)

Vallisneria Spiralis is in my cart as well as Bolbitis Heudelotii. I'll get them closer to go time on the 55 so they don't get quite so unruly in the 20. Anyone have experience with Bolbitis Heudelotii I'm curious as to success tying it off on stone? I'm not convinced I want it attached to my driftwood and I definitely don't want to purchase it tied to driftwood already as I think cost on those are ridiculously over priced for any plant.

I'm not going for a full Congo Basin Biotope but I am planning to stay very close to Congo/DRC regions in general which I've decided can pull from the lake areas as well if necessary. And with that in mind I'd also be ears about any African Cichlids that like algae in their diet or even need a vegi type diet... Might work better than trying to figure out an appropriate "algae eater" as like I said earlier it just has to eat it it by no means has to subsist solely on algae. I'm far from a Cichlid expert so hopefully someone else can at least point me in a direction! :)

And lastly a photo of the tank today!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    On another note, the 55 will be scaped for astheics as well as purposefully designed for fish happiness and health. The 20 is currently set up to break lines of sight, provide plenty of turf for claiming and plenty of cover and hides. I'm well aware placement in this tank isn't exactly esthetically in order lol don't bash me on the current design! Unless I course you can advise ways to add more of what these juvi fish like in cover hides free swim and hunting grounds. Then I'm very much excited to hear advice lol! The tank is in my bedroom so I don't have to worry about the sloppy appearance.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The elephant nose has been thwarting my attempts to keep his belly full at feeding time and the past couple days I have just fed the tank and watched. He's finally in there with the fray getting his belly full on his own. I spread the food all around the tank to keep everyone hunting and he's filling up! He's got no qualms about day time feeding either. I think he had to get over that when I had to deter the piglets so the light was on full.
    I'm fairly confident his feeding issues were caused by damage to his lip as he has gotten significantly faster at both finding and actually eating the food. Completely snubs anything that's not worms and after getting him a batch of live tubifex last week, I'll have to pick some up whenever I make it to town. He really really enjoyed those. Lorded over his little corner full all night I imagine.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because I back our Blue...thanks for your service - Silbar   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Have another angel fish... - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   No Message - Law Dog   

0 Not allowed!
    Looking very nice! I really like the hardscape in the last photo(s) along with the plant locations.
    * 100gal show
    - planted w/ Crypts, Vals, Java Fern, Staurogyne repens and Amazon Swords
    - Neons, 4 Angelfish, Sunset Honey Gourami, BN Pleco, Spotted Sailfin
    Pleco, Odessa Barbs, Corydoras schwartzi, Serpae Tetras, Silver tip tetras
    * Fluval Spec V
    - Dwarf Gourami, , 1 Kuhli loach, 2 Black Phantom Tetras
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dog View Post
    Looking very nice! I really like the hardscape in the last photo(s) along with the plant locations.
    Thanks! I mostly just tried to spread everything around and provide cover up to about mid tank level so everyone has some form of comfort. I probably won't be moving the lace rock to the 55, I love the stuff but I'm finding the dragonstone locally and its coming, so far, from the same area so I'm getting very similar stones in appearance. I think my lfs is going to fire me for buying it all the last three times they've gotten it! Lol but I'll be sure to have what I want for the 55. I'll probably swap out the left rock into the shrimp tank, I think they'll appriciate all the holes and such in it more anyway.

Found a flying fox to replace the CAE, but I do miss his algae skills, the flying fox just isn't quite the same caliber he was. Flying fox will go to the 55 and although he's not from the Congo region I always appreciate the help on hard scape cleaning :) if I find something more suitable down the road he should be easy to rehome here since we don't get them locally. Although the flying fox does appriciate foods other than algae he's got to get after them in this tank, he can't be shy with the catfish.

Alright, the syno we named Big Papa is in here with the elephant nose that I startled (I really shouldn't turn their lights after bedtime, the Danios were even all washed out for the first couple minutes). But you can see his dorsal fin touching the ground from the coconut cave and his whiskers sticking out of the cave.

Wish I could get a decent photo of Big Papa, he's a monster, he's growing waaay to fast and I'm actually looking to bump up my schedule a bit before he gets grouchy and eats a tank mate (namely the little syno). I think he's got to be creeping up somewhere between 3.5-4". He's always in some dark hole somewhere where the camera won't focus on him well.

This is not Big Papa, it's the next largest (I scared it by turning the light on so she's all pale lol) but for reference this ones closest to his size, probably close to an inch smaller but look at her fins pretty things they are!
    Last edited by sfsamm; 05-28-2017 at 08:02 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Nice pics.

The EN fish is nocturnal, so you may not see him much during the day, or when the tank lights are on

This is a nocturnal fish, so dim lighting is required to make it feel secure. Plenty of cover should also be provided, particularly if you’re keeping a few together. Smooth rocks, driftwood and plants that can survive under low lighting, such as Anubias sp., java fern and Vallisneria can all be used. A sand substrate is absolutely critical to the well-being of this species, as it burrows into it with it’s proboscis-like lower lip. Sharp-edged or coarse substrates can damage the mouthparts of the fish and prevent it from feeding naturally.

Source: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...emus-petersii/
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers