· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: The Congo tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    I haven't tried wisteria or water sprite but when hornwort was such a total needle mess I kinda am nervous to try another needly one. But it might be something to think about! The crinum in there basically is just surviving and the crypts will go well if they are getting full EI ferts and the higher lighting.

I actually just removed my break in the photo period a few weeks back and feel like that made a pretty decent impact as the sword and crypts are both growing better than previously and actually curbed a lot of algae growth. But not long before that I had also started my almost full EI dosing again also.

I think I'll put together a list of plants I'd like to try and post it for opinions, I'd really appreciate it if you would chime in when I get it together with on what you think. You have great advice and taste.
    What do you for lighting on this tank if I may ask? What about some others that are growing plants well, what do they have for lighting? Wisteria is not needle-ly plant. For me, it grew rather delicate, in my mom's tank it was bushy and thicker. I don't know if that's because her tank was more shallow, hence more light, or the hard water, but it definitely grew well in her tank compared to mine. I haven't tried water Sprite, but I always read it was similar to wisteria. I could definitely find some good hardwater loving plants, it's a common concern. But obviously something else is going on with the Congo tank because your not seeing the problems in other tanks with the same water parameters. Also,
    I'm surprised some of those plants didn't make it. Although, I have to say, I've seen so many times different results with almost identical tanks. You'd be surprised how little of a difference causes a completely different outcome. It's near impossible to compare tanks, even your own, but lighting is a start.

How did you adjust the photoperiod, like what is it now? I'm just curious what is working haha.

A list would be great, I'd love to relay any info or experience I have, I've 'experimented' a lot with lighting (LEDs) and different plants, i'm a geek that way hahaha. But thanks very much, that brought a big smile to my face and made my evening! I would be happy share anything I've learned if it helps someone :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    It's completely for esthetics in this tank, nitrAte removal is an added bonus
    Ok, but for algae control, I noticed it helps to have plants to filter the water column as well. I struggle with stem plants sometimes as well, for whatever reason, could be rough fish, could be lighting......but I like to keep a balance between water column filtering plants and heavy rooters. I'm having trouble currently in my 120g with stem plants since my stargrass carpet started being munched on! Anyway, I can't get them to grow well, I've tried a few that have melted like cobamba and reneiki, so I have added English Ivy to grow immersed. I also added the hydrocotyle vulgaris floating and water lettuce. I also have hydrocotyle vulgaris in my 90g along with water lettuce to filter the water. I don't register nitrates in the 90g either, but I bet I'd have a lot more algae if I was to get rid of them completely.

Or even immersed plants. I will be using pothos or something for my grow out tanks. No space in the tank to take up and good water filtering.

Did you ever see Rachel O'Reilly's video about pothos killing her BBA?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Just took some shots of the hydrocotyle for you. I think you could do it. I have it tied with thread to my filter output lol.
    20181023_212329.jpg
    20181023_212221.jpg

And

20181023_213636.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    How does that hygro do with flow? It would be quite nice and I considered getting some a while back but could only find small portions 3-5 stems of 2-3 leaves and the ctenopoma get in behind that little stuff and knock it around... I didn't know it could float! Would be a better option than vals which I've considered trying again when I replace this substrate.
    Substrate plan when I do it, I think will be a layer of laterite then some fluval stratum since I have had great luck adding a bit to get plants going and then I'm undecided on what to cap everything I go around on a neutral or a black sand and can't make up my mind lol.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I haven't had it for a while but Wisteria grew like a weed (although a pretty one) for me in a 20 long tank. I was constantly trimming and then planting the trimmings back in. I really liked this plant for a long time. I think I just wanted a change at some point; can't really remember when I got rid of it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @SueD Is your tank water on the hard side? Just curious.....

Oh that's hydrocotyle, not hygro in the pics. I like it because the fish don't mess with it. I have it attached to my output flow in both tanks, so it does well with flow. I have found both hydrocotyle vulgaris and leucocephala do better for me floating. Although vulgaris is the one from North Africa, leucocephala is from Brazil.

The hygro angustifolia does well with flow too. It has strong stems and grows good roots in little time. I have managed to kill it at one point though, i'm just trying to think of plants that filter the water without causing you trouble to grow. The hydrocotyle gets co2 from the atmosphere when it's floating. It also gets a lot of light and fish don't mess with it. One more funny thing, it's edible and smells like carrot!

As for vals, I find they can take a while to get going, but once the plants drape the surface, they are there for good. It takes forever for a short val plant to grow in my 120g (it's pretty dark back there at the bottom) , but if they are tall and reaching the surface, they do well. I moved adult vals from my dirted 90g to my 120g FYI.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 10-24-2018 at 07:12 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I don't really test my water except once or twice a year, or if something goes wrong. But because you asked....

I just tested one tank and got

KH of 4
    GH of 7
    TDS 379

So does this put me more on the softer side?

I didn't test PH but it is usually 7.4 -7.5.

I had done a water change yesterday

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    So does this put me more on the softer side?
    I'm so jealous! Lol that's essentially what I spent my entire hobby in until I moved here to my kH 10, gH 15-16, pH 8.2 (inside but my pond off hose water this summer was pH 8.5-8.6!) water that I've been struggling with lol my TDS at the tap is never under 460.

I think your water is perfect and a great average range. I wouldn't call it soft nor hard, just perfect lol. Great balance and stability with not so much holding it that it's easy to manipulate if you want softer water fish or harder water fish and darn near anything can live fairly well in it!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    You're gonna just have to adjust with the water unless you do RO, but I completely understand not resorting to that. There's lots of plants that have done well in hard water like yours. My mother's tap pH was 8.2. Her 10g tank was 9.0! Don't even ask.... it's all sorted out now. Anyway, it has to be something that is causing you a hard time to grow any plants in the Congo tank. You mentioned getting new substrate, what do you have for lighting on that tank? Right now, crypt wendtii grows, so run with that. Maybe try the red or bronze variety? Also Balansea is supposed to love hardwater, and I think it would suit your Congo tank well, I'd also have that one on my list to try again ;)

Depending on your lighting and tank depth, I have a bunch of ideas!

Also fyi, the hygro angustifolia I bought recently were grown emersed. Even the little shoots in between the leaves transformed to new underwater shoots!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 10-24-2018 at 11:39 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Hygro flat hates this water for me. I can't grow it in any tanks and not for a lack of effort. I want that one here for several tanks! I ordered 16 stems killed them half in the Congo the others lasted slightly longer in other tanks and then ordered another 12 (I think) from a different supplier and exact same thing. It all starts getting black spots that aren't algae, almost looks like tiny burn marks and it'd get them like freckles then over a couple days all the black spots would pin hole all at once and it'd be a full melt down including stems which would look like that anubias disease that melts them.
    Lighting is two finnex stingrays... One isn't enough and 2nd runs through half the photo period. One gives me BBA but the second seems to set a good balance in that regard. GSA is back under control with reduced EI ferts. And the fuzzy short green algae that kinda looks like clad but isn't is finally going away with no photo period. I don't mind the last of them but don't miss it either lol.
    Tank is standard 55, I believe they are 21-22" deep.

Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast